Ever tried to Turbo a N/A? - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #21
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
totally agree with tweek here. i'm not trying to discourage you, but here's my best advice: try and find a wrecked 900turbo. you can then swap the engine, all the wiring w/t5, gauge cluster....everything. saabs factory shit is all very very good. that's one of the reasons you don't see people going aftermarket for everything like on these "jap cars".

also, don't think that all the asian cars are so easy to boost. you only see the ones out on the street that were a success. there's plenty of them stuck in garages with extra block ventelation, if ya know what i mean.

you should call up nick T. they have an n/a ng900 shop car that they did a bunch of stuff to with some success. apparantly there is some potential from that motor without forced induction.

lastly, do not, do not, don't, DO NOT take on this kind of project if this is your only means of transportation and you can't afford the down time. sometimes the best investment to make a project like this come out right is a beater. the end result will always be better when you don't have to rush things.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #22
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgproject View Post
also, don't think that all the asian cars are so easy to boost. you only see the ones out on the street that were a success. there's plenty of them stuck in garages with extra block ventelation, if ya know what i mean.

I do agree that there are lots of failures that you dont hear about but the fact remains there are LPT turbo kits for cars with B16A's in them that are sold by normal vendors (Greddy, Jackson Racing etc.. ) and that simplifies things for those people who run motors like that. With a B16A with dished 8.5Cr pistons from JE you can have a very nice 400HP daily driver. Its just all about time and money and thats it.

Aftermarket support is the largest limiting factor to the SAAB market and always will be. If you can get a good piston setup and find an aftermarket (MS, or other) engine management setup then I say go for it as long as you have another beater to use in the interim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #23
JK
Elder

Quote:

lastly, do not, do not, don't, DO NOT take on this kind of project if this is your only means of transportation and you can't afford the down time. sometimes the best investment to make a project like this come out right is a beater. the end result will always be better when you don't have to rush things.
Best advice so far.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #24
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to PAsaab900
tweek u posted to the wrong thread im the one with the stang...... see my stang isnt an every day driver..... n the saab isnt fast enough.....lol......so thats y i want to go forced induction.... i might just do this setup n if i blow the motor then ow well... i have a bike to drive.....lol....
Old 08-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #25
TSLMember

Quote:
totally agree with tweek here. i'm not trying to discourage you, but here's my best advice: try and find a wrecked 900turbo. you can then swap the engine, all the wiring w/t5, gauge cluster....everything. saabs factory shit is all very very good. that's one of the reasons you don't see people going aftermarket for everything like on these "jap cars".

you should call up nick T. they have an n/a ng900 shop car that they did a bunch of stuff to with some success. apparantly there is some potential from that motor without forced induction.

Some very great points there spg...

Haha, thats funny about the jap cars... and so true, a buddy of mine was working on his prelude for 8 months, all the while driving his mom's car. i guess he finished it, but now its for sale... so what does that tell you.

I guess in the end I was just wondering if it had been done before, or how hard it would be... seems to me that it wont be happening anytime soon ( for me at least ) . I'll keep my eyes out for a wrecked turbo out there though... that way it'll be ready once i am.

Thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #26
Elder

i never realized that part... i figured it was easy as pie to turbo a skivic and cheap too. didnt ever think that there were many sitting in garages disassembled with owners rubbing their heads... makes lots of sense though.
JP

Old 08-27-2007, 05:56 AM   #27
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i thought i might have figured out a way to do it one time. get all the bits like the manifold and turbo and slap it on. then put on one of the best saab developments made in the 80's APC. thats how we got away running moonracers 2.1 SPG w/~15 psi. that would give you boost protection for ping. as far as the bottom end it's a shot in the dark but i do know mike connely was telling me about his 270 hp N/A NG900 he built so you'd think they should handle 7-8 psi you'd think.

the other thing i read somewhere was that motronic had a ~400g/s limit that was used as a fuel cut. dont know if it was true or not and it was for another version (2.8.6 i think) instead of what we run. so an aftermarket EM would be needed or a motronic burner.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 AM   #28
Editor
Elder

There's no sense in trying to turbo an N/A - for what it would cost to do it right, you could get another Saab with a blown up engine and rebuild it. If you have the mechanical aptitude to try to turbo one of these cars yourself, surely you could just re-build an engine. It'd probably be much more straight forward. This has been discussed time and time again. If you like the car, just keep it and get something else on the side. I was in the same boat, it was talked about, and finally I just got something else.

It's more work than it's worth.

Last edited by Les Bouquins; 08-27-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #29
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab99Super View Post
i thought i might have figured out a way to do it one time. get all the bits like the manifold and turbo and slap it on. then put on one of the best saab developments made in the 80's APC. thats how we got away running moonracers 2.1 SPG w/~15 psi. that would give you boost protection for ping. as far as the bottom end it's a shot in the dark but i do know mike connely was telling me about his 270 hp N/A NG900 he built so you'd think they should handle 7-8 psi you'd think.
i think that's a great idea!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #30
Avid TSL User

Look at it this way, the higher CR of your car will cut down on your spool time, and PSI for PSI you will always be making more power on boost or off than a factory turbo saab with the same boost. The higher CR means you have to be much more careful making your ignition maps, but 10-14 psi is totally doable on pump gas with a good standalone EFI controller. Just look for a haltech E6x or E8 on the bay and you'll have more than enough computing power for your goals. If you were to base your car around the 15t, you could have a setup that makes as much power as an aero but spools instantly like a LPT car would.

The key is getting a beater first so you can work out all of the kinks with the saab. I do like the C900 exhaust manifold idea though, you might have to relocate some stuff under the hood but that would look really cool and sound even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in