So I was thinking of some cheap performance upgrades - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to josuar88 Send a message via MSN to josuar88 Send a message via Yahoo to josuar88
So I was thinking of some cheap performance upgrades

for my ng900 2.3liter non turbo saab

1.K&N filter can't find intake for it so filter will have to do
2.plugs and wires maybe a new distributer cap
3.Royal purple oil
4.new rotors and brakes

what do you guys think and any suggestions on what else to do CHEAP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Elder

www.genuinesaab.com has a NG900 NA intake for you.

Does it need brakes? Or are you just upgrading the existing? All the slotted and dimpled rotors are an unessecary waste of money in my expierence.

There really isn't much at all to be done on the NA 2.3 motor that is a CHEAP upgrade. You'd be better off saving up for stuff like this:

http://nh.craigslist.org/car/321612836.html

I dont anything about that particular car, just an example.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:04 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to josuar88 Send a message via MSN to josuar88 Send a message via Yahoo to josuar88
ya I just want it to go a little faster nothing major till I get a turbo saab about the brakes I dont know but I get a shaking in the steering wheel when slowing down from fifty or more but it doesnt do it at any other speed under that no matter how hard I hit the brakes. had a honda did the same but at any speed if the brakes were hit hard enough it had warped rotors went through a set of pads in six moths. dont know whats with my saab though havent had the chance to check it

Old 05-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
Elder

I don't think an intake, exhaust and all that stuff which will cost just shy of 500$ total will make your car any faster at ALL. Plugs and wires may help if the old ones are toasted, if not again save your money. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

The brakes rotors could be warped. Also you could have built up pad residue on the rotors. The most common thing for me and my 900's have been incorrectly tightened lug nuts. If one is tighter than the other, and the lug nuts were not tightened in the correct star pattern order, you can get a bad brake shimmy.

Situation 1 requires new rotors. Eeuroparts is cheap and genuinesaab.com is right there too.
2 requires a couple of hard brake stands from 70 mph down to 10. DO NOT COME TO A STOP (70 to 0) as this is how the residue gets transferred to the rotors. This problem is endemic to EBC style pads, but its happened to me on OEM and the brake stands have solved the problem.
3 A 30$ craftsman bar type torque wrench is a good invesment, 83~ ft/lbs on the alloys and more on steelies. You can get away without a torque wrench, just tightening them all to an even amount but STAR pattern is what is key here. 83 lbs is NOT as much as you'd think either so dont over do it.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:20 AM   #5

well I go in tues to figure out whats up and to see if I can do what needs to be done myself if not they can do it hopefully its just something easy nothing that requires parts or much time
Old 05-05-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
Elder

100$ says you bring it to a shop they are going to tell you to replace all the your rotors and pads at a cost of 500$. They are not going to try free fixes when they got a big one on the line. don't be a sucker, i was before i got smart through websites like this and saabnet.com, saabcentral.com. Try some of the things above... if it doesn't help get brave and do your own brakes, takes 3 hours max ... you'll be making over 70$ an hour...
Old 05-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
get a boost controller....

...after you buy a 900SET.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 05-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
you'll be making over 70$ an hour...
opportunity cost FTW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Elder

I've put myself through school, bought some toys and upgraded my SAAB on opportunity cost alone.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 AM   #10

no the shop I go to pretty honest I know some shit about cars so I can tell when they bullshit me which they havnt yet and when they do Ill go somewhere else from then on
Old 05-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
From someone else who owns an n/a ng900...you're really not going to be able to make it fast. Disty cap/rotor/etc are routine maintenance items.

About all you can do is make the car enjoyable....put a nice stereo in it, detail it, keep it clean, etc.

They do make a great dd/beater though for when you get that nicer Saab. Save your $ for when you get a turbo!

Old 05-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Rotors do NOT warp. It feels like they're warped, but it is only buildup residue from the pads. I don't remeber the site, but it's been posted on here that talks about brake technology, and how rotors themselves (in all this guy's 30+ years of racing experience) do not warp.

My rear rotors felt really bad, the shook terribly when I braked. When i finally got them off, there was some buildup on one side, and on the other side (facing the car) there were big gouges/chunks of metal that were worn/rusted away.

EEuroparts.com has the best prices, get the cheap brembo rotors, they'll do great. Then once your brakes are good, get the car detailed, put it on craigslist and cars.com and sell it. Take that cash and buy yourself a Turbo Saab.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
Elder

I warped a rotor once.

First time I had my brakes done ever, I was 16, and brought my 96 900 to the local shop, paid 200+$ to have them done front and rear (I brought the parts). I was driving on the highway about a week later and my F R caliper came off inside the wheel, the brake line, wrapped around the hub was the only thing holding it to the car. It warped my rotor and ruined my viking wheel.

I pulled over, took the wheel off and the caliper bolts were gone (or never there to begin with). I secured it in place with some zip ties and limped back, pads dragging over the warped rotor to the shop. They found some bolts, lo and behold, but would not refund my money for the work. Their excuse was I must have removed the caliper when I painted them red in the intervening week (I painted them on the car). BBB Complaints filed yadda yadda yadda. I do my own work now.

Just a little story to inspire you to DIY (Don't get me started on shops forgetting to reinstall the transmission check plug and losing 100$+ dollars of MTF 00063!)
Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I also have a N/A 900 to here's what i've done to my car & I love the way it handles.
If you can't make it go fast, you might as well make it hold the corners with a kung-fu grip.

Also check my My Cardomain Page for pictures & details

1995 900s 2.3 liter Manual Transmission
My proformance mods:

-22mm Rear Sway Bar - Genuinesaab.com
-Bilstein Shocks and Struts
-Bosch Platinum 2
-Clear side indicators - eEuroparts.com
-EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads - Front and Rear - Car-Stuff.com
-K&N Filter
-Nokian Tyres RSI's - Winters
-Optima Red Top Battery
-Pirelli P6000 Z's
-Polyurethane Front ARB Bushings - Genuinesaab.com
-Polyurethane Suspension Bushings Inner - Genuinesaab.com
-Polyurethane Suspension Bushings Outer - Genuinesaab.com
-Sport Transmission Mount (Urethane insert) - Genuinesaab.com
-Zimmerman Drilled Rotors

2004 9-5 Aero 5pd Stg 3 Wagon
1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

Old 05-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I second what others have said, Adidas set up should make for a car that hangs on in the corners real nice, that would be what I would do too as far as suspension mods for an n/a 900
Old 05-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
like stated before,
1)fix the brakes, sell.
2)use the money you were gonna spend on mods, and spend it couple with the money from selling N/A NG900, and buy Turbo NG900.
3) Be happy for a couple weeks.
4) make some money working.
5) buy MBC and boost that thing to 15.5psi!!!!
6)enjoy for a couple months, and then just buy everything for stage 4 and be really happy for a while.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 05-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuar88 View Post
I get a shaking in the steering wheel when slowing down from fifty or more but it doesnt do it at any other speed under that no matter how hard I hit the brakes.
Get your tires checked see if the balance is off. It's a small detail but it does affect the way the wheels act.

2004 9-5 Aero 5pd Stg 3 Wagon
1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #18

thanx for the help guys Ill keep those suggestions in mind
Old 05-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #19

ugh...let him do his thing with his car. if he wants to mod his n/a then so be it.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #20
Elder

if you can't make it go fast. make it hold what speed you get in the corners. Making your car grip is wonderful. especially when you pass people on those tighter S turns on the highway or the long sweeping turns that everyone slows down for. you just keep right on going and now you are ahead of them. even if they are overall faster you are no ahead and they must play catch up.

I learned that from Gran Turismo 3. When you can carry speed you get ahead. It rocks.

anyway that is what i say... the sway bars and such are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in