Project 87AWD - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
TSLMember

Hello All

I have decided that come spring of next year the surfacing of a serious garage project will begin.

Project 87AWD

I have a 1987 SPG that is in need of rust repair to the floor pan, and why not at that point go all in!

Mt75
B234
Heavily ported Head
Stock or WŲssner Pistons
Seeing as 6-700 in the powerband can be made on the internals of the stock t5 motors why not put 4 to the ground and maybe more for a full out race car hybrid.

The plan is also to keep the 9000 aero seats for a cozy vintage feel while also having a set of race buckets and a cage to match for track days.

At this point I am gathering a parts inventory estimate through research and questions. The step in the spring is embark on that inventory by purchase and fully immerse in the custom fabrication needed.

Thanks for the time and I hope you will follow as it happens

Last edited by Elyk; 10-25-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
Elder

What is the plan for the drivetrain? I know you said you're going to use a 234, but what will you use as a transmission? Rear differential and axles?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-26-2017, 03:53 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Good luck man! That's an ambitious project! Hope you have fun and get it going!

Old 10-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
What is the plan for the drivetrain? I know you said you're going to use a 234, but what will you use as a transmission? Rear differential and axles?
At the moment I am looking into a Cosworth Mt75 or a omega6. Rear Diff I am unsure at the moment. Axels will probably be a custom job utilizing the inner drivers and out boot and splines to fit a Saab suspension setup
Old 10-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
Good luck man! That's an ambitious project! Hope you have fun and get it going!
Thank you! Should be interesting, frustrating and costly but most of all a total learning experience.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

not really the same type of project but you may find some useful stuff here: https://www.saablink.net/forum/perfor...-9-3/88458.htm
Old 10-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
TSLMember

Beginning Phase Has Begun! Carpet, Sound Deadding and Pedal Out. Lots of rust to tackle and floor pan welding. I have settled on a Borg Warner as mentioned. T5 To a unmarried S10 AWD transfer case. Digging a tunnel should be a little more practical now. Lots of rust!!! Lots more to come this weekend!
Old 11-02-2017, 03:15 AM   #8
Elder

I envy you. I wanted to do this to an SPG for a while, but the dream faded.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:55 AM   #9
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I envy you. I wanted to do this to an SPG for a while, but the dream faded.
Just the beginning g stages, finding so much rust and needing to repair things is fuel the fire to get it done!
I really hope that I can share this project for those like myself who want or wanted to make this possible.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #10
TSLMember

Shift rod out. Motor mounts loosened and ready for the b202 to come come out.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
TSLMember

B202 is out!
Decided to go with a 1995 Audi 90 b4 Quattro Transmission as the AWD tool.

Pulled the trans from a local parts yard. Drive shaft and rear differential also pulled.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
Elder

Wow, very cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
Drew In Houston
Elder

Yes, very cool. I'm particularly interested in the engine mating and clutch arrangement. Is that drivetrain up to handling the 6 or 700HP you're targeting?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #14
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trionic3000 View Post
Yes, very cool. I'm particularly interested in the engine mating and clutch arrangement. Is that drivetrain up to handling the 6 or 700HP you're targeting?
Iím hoping with a few other findings and weight determinations it will be possible or at least a compromising powerband. There is a shifter made by CAE that may reduce strain on the trans by changing things to cables. Iím still researching.
So far I am in touch with a guy who is designing a adapter plate.
This will allow use of the b234 flywheel, Audi clutch disc and b234 Pressure plate.

After this I contacted another local shop who are going to fabricate axel shafts to accommodate possibly keeping use of the stock suspension upfront or at least the hubs so that I can run the 9000 Aeros Iíve got on the car which I also plan to have widend yo fit a 225 Tire. Thatís of course down the line.
First things first!

-Mate the trans to motor
-mount motor and trans in car
-figure out wiring
-begin the rear axel(s) Layout

-GET IT RUNNING

-paint interior
-Focus on exterior
Old 02-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #15
Elder

updates?
Old 02-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
TSLMember

I have been sleeping on this project as I build a motor for my Viggen but gather parts to outright complete the puzzle.

I spoke with a guy named Larry who runs a small Audi shop and dealership here in Colorado. I asked him about the power afforded to the b4 trans being a pikes peak winner in a Audi and selling nothing but Audiís on his lot. He was very open to talking about his builds and how industrious the b4 is. He said that they ran the b4 in a twin turbo Audi making 700 on the same trans for 3 race seasons! That is remarkable in my book.

So, thus far I have a 1995 Audi 90 Trans, Drive Shaft, differential and more recently I was fortunate to come across another 95 Audi 90 and pulled the entire rear Subframe assembly out!

If you can imagine my intentions here for the rear end conversion... itís pretty cut and dry, make everything level and bolt up the rear end from the 90 to the SPG.

I am also waiting on a adapter plate for the b234-b4 trans. That conversion has yet to be complete but will soon be on the list of completed items. Then mount making and floor pan design implementation.

Last edited by Elyk; 02-06-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:23 AM   #17
Elder

I can't wait to see it completed. Gathering parts is still progress in my book.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

... and all hauled home in a 9-3. Very SAABish
Old 02-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #19
TSLMember

The heart has been pulled (1996 2.3t 9000). Off to adapter plate mocking and the machine shop. Nearly all the puzzle pieces have been found... now to make it all work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C0C5B40-4461-4552-A32B-9E6C285E40BA_1519605834622.jpg (422.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-26-2018, 03:34 AM   #20
Elder

That's a pretty serious kart for the u-pull-it yard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in