Project 87AWD - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2018, 04:16 AM   #21
Elder

What is your plan for fitting the geometry of the drivetrain? Mainly as far as the engine is concerned. Lining up the b4 trans on the front wheels will likely push the engine out to, or even past the core support. I'm sure it will look cool having the engine protrude from the hood. But what about the radiator placement?

Maybe some inspiration...

http://translate.google.com/translat...F8&sl=sv&tl=en

Last edited by turbojohnny; 02-26-2018 at 04:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #22
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
What is your plan for fitting the geometry of the drivetrain? Mainly as far as the engine is concerned. Lining up the b4 trans on the front wheels will likely push the engine out to, or even past the core support. I'm sure it will look cool having the engine protrude from the hood. But what about the radiator placement?

Maybe some inspiration...

http://translate.google.com/translat...F8&sl=sv&tl=en
The placement of the b4 as it stands, is within the axel holes in the frame. My plan is to use the existing front axel layout with a entirely modified rear end.
The measurements from trans to crank pulley should slide just within 2-3” of the rad support. The b234 motor will fit height wise near perfect.
Exhaust will be relocated easily through the tunnel I am making and will allow for stock Spg pipes... this may change and a side pipe maybe use on the drivers side through the bumper I am making from a 9000 Aero.

The concept of the radiator is a universal radiator that will be slimned to fit on the passenger side of the rad support. The Intercooler should fit with some fabrication in front of the rad support.
I have some drawings with measurements and such.

I’ll do a full write up with detailing photos when it comes time For wiring to get underway

Last edited by Elyk; 02-26-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-27-2018, 03:20 AM   #23
Elder

Wow, that's really fortunate. I forgot that the drivetrain in a c900 is way different than that of an ng900.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #24
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
Wow, that's really fortunate. I forgot that the drivetrain in a c900 is way different than that of an ng900.
The “Gustav 99” was somewhat of a inspiration transmission wise... it was either a b4 or a Subaru trans. The compact nature of the b4 was what I was after. The b4 is a great design with high tolerances to power... like the 90 I would run into the mass amounts of body roll/ understate being that the engines placement in reguards to the trans is so far ahead. I will have to engineer how to get away from that issue for tight corner ability...

The b234 is all broken down and read for the machine shop... exciting progress
Old 03-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #25
TSLMember

I took some time last evening to measure out, to some degree the amount of space I will be playing with. I moved the transmission back a bit to align with the axel shaft holes existing in the car and the drivers on the b4.
This gave a better idea of placement of the trans in relation to the motor.
The 9000 Oil Pan was resting on the support member existing in the bay which gave a good idea as to motor tilt and play that can be had in the back and forth movement of the trans for mount fabrication.
This also allowed me to measure the height of the motor, block and head with the valve cover LengthXWidthXHeight.
Findings are such that 2 1/2 inches from oil pan and height of the trans will allow for fitting under the fenders with 2-3 inches roughly of room to the hood clearance.
Length will put things in the realm of being able to use the existing rad support which may work out as a Stock rad/ 9000 rad mounted up front. This would also allow for a front mount Intercooler of my choosing!
Good findings on the night!!!

So, before I begin clearing out the bay entirely and making necessary cuts to rid of things unneeded and spacing things that will have to be additions I wait on the block to come back from machining to create the trans adapter plate to mate the two and get a finalized localized (physical) rendering of placement.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:29 AM   #26
Elder

any progress here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in