The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Fuel cut? (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85258)

Viper588 01-27-2014 06:04 PM

Fuel cut?

Hey guys so i just purchased a 1999 Saab 9-3 with 91k on it. Now the reason I am here is that the car drives fine but if i go WOT, when the "turbo" gauge hits the red zone i get a pretty good jerk and then the car goes back to normal and begins to accelerate again. I am very familiar with cars and working on them but this is the first car Ive owned/worked on with a turbo so a lot of this is new to me. I plan on doing a tune up this weekend and hopefully doing a BLT as well. Im mainly trying to diagnose if what is occurring is actually fuel cut or not as Ive never experienced it before but it sounds like it from what Ive read. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

hondafanatic17 01-27-2014 06:39 PM

Clean the BPC valve with brake cleaner or laquer thinner. It's most likely your issue, what happens is old vacuum lines break, dirt gets in the system, clogs it up and causes issues.

Viper588 01-27-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondafanatic17 (Post 1950146)
Clean the BPC valve with brake cleaner or laquer thinner. It's most likely your issue, what happens is old vacuum lines break, dirt gets in the system, clogs it up and causes issues.

you were right! i found this write up about the BPC, BPC / APC valve cleaning [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums followed the instructions and bypassed the valve, connecting line from turbo directly to wastegate and now I no longer get fuel cut and boost stays steady in middle of yellow. Thanks!

Edit- What exactly does this valve do that i bypassed? and there seems to be two versions of the BPC valve, will either work for my car?

hondafanatic17 01-27-2014 09:09 PM

I don't know what the two different versions are but what it does is control how much the waste gate opens allowing more or less air into it, allowing your turbo to boost to max pressure without causing issues. Problem is being a Saab and their one thousand one electrical issues you will encounter, it started becoming more of a hassle later on. Make sure all your vacuum lines are good and not messed up and you might have to clean it two or three times to get all the junk out.

Saabs are a lot of fun and they get addicting just be prepared for some odd issues everyonce in a while, nothing usually to bad just odd. Should have been Saabs marking ad back in the day.

Tweek's Turbos 01-28-2014 03:07 AM

It is part of the system that regulates the boost.

The 2 versions are probably for the 2 engine management versions. 99 9-3s that are not Viggens are T5 and backwards compatible with 94-98 900 with turbo, and the 99 Viggen are forwards compatible with 00-03 9-3s and 9-5s.

Viper588 01-28-2014 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondafanatic17 (Post 1950186)
I don't know what the two different versions are but what it does is control how much the waste gate opens allowing more or less air into it, allowing your turbo to boost to max pressure without causing issues. Problem is being a Saab and their one thousand one electrical issues you will encounter, it started becoming more of a hassle later on. Make sure all your vacuum lines are good and not messed up and you might have to clean it two or three times to get all the junk out.

Saabs are a lot of fun and they get addicting just be prepared for some odd issues everyonce in a while, nothing usually to bad just odd. Should have been Saabs marking ad back in the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos (Post 1950193)
It is part of the system that regulates the boost.

The 2 versions are probably for the 2 engine management versions. 99 9-3s that are not Viggens are T5 and backwards compatible with 94-98 900 with turbo, and the 99 Viggen are forwards compatible with 00-03 9-3s and 9-5s.

Thank you for the responses, before i order a new BPC Ive seen some info about people replaceing the BPC with an MBC in order to avoid this issue again. Is this an option/reccomended or should i stick with the stock set up? Thank you again for all the info!

hondafanatic17 01-28-2014 03:39 PM

Before you order a new one try cleaning it a few times. Replace all your lines and run it for a bit, honestly some of the biggest issues can be fixed with just cleaning. I was going to replace mine on my 9000 a while back but I just replaced all my lines and cleaned it ever time it acted up after a few weeks the issue cleared up.

Make sure all your lines are good, I didn't bother to do that for the first couple times I cleaned it, and I found some major rot later. Which let's air and debris in causing it to clog.

Tweek's Turbos 01-29-2014 03:59 AM

Used ones abound. If you live near a pick n pull they are also easy to smuggle out.

Viper588 01-29-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondafanatic17 (Post 1950705)
Before you order a new one try cleaning it a few times. Replace all your lines and run it for a bit, honestly some of the biggest issues can be fixed with just cleaning. I was going to replace mine on my 9000 a while back but I just replaced all my lines and cleaned it ever time it acted up after a few weeks the issue cleared up.

Make sure all your lines are good, I didn't bother to do that for the first couple times I cleaned it, and I found some major rot later. Which let's air and debris in causing it to clog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos (Post 1950858)
Used ones abound. If you live near a pick n pull they are also easy to smuggle out.

I attempted to clean it a few times and it seemed to help a little bit but air is still passing into the wrong ports. I found a used one for $12 with shipping that comes with a warranty so i figure for $12 it pays to just buy a new one. Thanks for all the help so far! Ill update when the new BCS comes

Viper588 01-29-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos (Post 1950858)

unfortunately the closest pick and pull is about 2 hours away

hondafanatic17 01-29-2014 06:24 PM

12 bucks with a warranty isn't bad. Hopefully it solved the issue for you.

Saabinduction 01-30-2014 09:41 PM

Lucky cheap fix you had!

When I had my issue after buying the car from a dealer, it turned out to be the wastegate actuator.

Of course....I may or may not have decided that it was a good time to buy a forgemotorsport upgrade........That didn't help cost :)

Viper588 01-31-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saabinduction (Post 1951762)
Lucky cheap fix you had!

When I had my issue after buying the car from a dealer, it turned out to be the wastegate actuator.

Of course....I may or may not have decided that it was a good time to buy a forgemotorsport upgrade........That didn't help cost :)

Yeah =P im glad I was able to diagnose it so fast and the new part should be here tomorrow! This site has been really helpful already!

Viper588 01-31-2014 04:37 PM

Ok so new unrelated issue, i needed some new bulbs for the instrument cluster because i was not able to see how fast i was going at night. I install the bulbs that rock auto has listed for the car, they were wagner somethings(i can get exact part number if needed). I installed the bulbs and reinstalled everything and non of the lights worked. I reinstalled the bad bulbs to see if that was the issue and sure enough the new bulbs are the wrong voltage -__- . i rearranged some bulbs so i am able to see the important things but does anyone know where i can get the correct bulbs? Thanks!

Tweek's Turbos 02-01-2014 05:50 AM

Time to make that 2 hour drive!!

I had the same issue, nothing above 90 was lighting up, so at a yard I smashed out a cluster in a na 900s and took all the bulbs.

My inbox is full but email me at [email protected] and I will put some random ones into a cushy pack and send them off to ya.

Viper588 02-01-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos (Post 1952249)
Time to make that 2 hour drive!!

I had the same issue, nothing above 90 was lighting up, so at a yard I smashed out a cluster in a na 900s and took all the bulbs.

My inbox is full but email me at [email protected] and I will put some random ones into a cushy pack and send them off to ya.

That would be awesome thanks! I also replaced the SID cable last night and got all the pixels back.

Viper588 02-09-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondafanatic17 (Post 1951346)
12 bucks with a warranty isn't bad. Hopefully it solved the issue for you.

New BPC is installed and im no longer hitting fuel cut! Thanks for all the help guys