Re-wiring Foglights? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr56
Re-wiring Foglights?

I was curious if anyone had found a easy way of re-wiring the factory foglight to stay on when you put your high beams on. I would assume and hope that this is a one or two wire collaboration, but searched and couldn't find much about it at all.

I know on my previous car, I ran a constant 12V to the switch, so when the high's were on, the power stayed to the fog lights. Where as factory the power is only on while you have your low beams on.

I am not sure how extensive the wiring behind that switch is, or if you can tap into the rear fog light power wire, which I would assume is right next to that harness.

This may be a noob question, but if anyone could fill me in with some experience or idea's, or maybe a thread of someone who has completed it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
the tech 2 will allow you to do this. go to a dealer and ask them to change the headlight and foglight settings to option 1. aka euro mode. its a very cool setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #3

is tech 2 like a plug in hand held programmer that the dealer uses? Do you know what other changes occue when it going into option 1, or euro mode?

Old 07-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
well the tech 2 is a fancy code reader. it basically does everything from marry/divorce radio and cd changers, to changing headlight settings, and gauge settings, alarm settings. so many options that can be changed, that i cant even think of them all.

the other things the euro setting will do is: allow you to use the 7watt city lights when the headlight switch is in the middle position. also allowing your fogs to be on with the city lights. then your fogs can be on with your highbeams.

cool stuff, go do it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #5

thats pretty solid. Didnt know how extensive saab's electronics were. I just dont wanna sound like an idiot walking into the dealer. Know if they are picky and charge you to plug and play?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
Elder

They shouldn't charge you (not much if they do). It'll take about five minutes for them to do it - so try to get in there when they don't have a heavy workload.

Thanks Nick for giving me more information along the way - now I have no excuse not to get my indie to do it for me He'll be happy to see the car with the new ECU anyway - he's been following my modifications with great interest!

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #7

Yea I gave them a call today, and the guy wanst much help at all, saying that they would charge 45-60 an hour for playing with the tech 2. not very cool, but maybe if I go in there in person they might be more forgiving.

I am going to check out the local gm dealer and see if they would do it for cheaper since the tech 2 is used on all or most gm vehicles i believe.

Does anyone on these forums have access to one?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I'd hate to be the killjoy here, but check with your local laws first. Some do not allow highbeams and fogs to be on at same time.

2004 9-5 Aero 5pd Stg 3 Wagon
1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

Old 07-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
JK
Elder

this is why it's be nice to have a buddy who works at a dealership or shop with tech2.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #10

Yea I am not worried about getting a ticket for having foglights and highbeams on at the same time. That would be pretty stupid for a cop to be that anal.

Yea I need to get the in with the saab guys, like I am at the Acura dealership.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepr56
Yea I gave them a call today, and the guy wanst much help at all, saying that they would charge 45-60 an hour for playing with the tech 2. not very cool, but maybe if I go in there in person they might be more forgiving.

I am going to check out the local gm dealer and see if they would do it for cheaper since the tech 2 is used on all or most gm vehicles i believe.

Does anyone on these forums have access to one?
GM dealers may not have th saab software tho
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 07-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #12

hmmmm good point. I wasn't sure how universal the tech 2 was. If all else fails with the dealer, I will just wait till my buddie gets back to school, and use theirs.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Check with then indie shops around you. The local indie saab shop near here has a tech 2 and they are very cool about helping people out. Plus when they have to charge for it, it's usually dirt cheap compared to the stealer!

Old 07-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #14

Hmm never thought of that. There are a buncha saab guys around here, and euro shops. I'll try to call around sometime tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in