Passenger side motor mount thread in frame stripped - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #1
TSLMember

Passenger side motor mount thread in frame stripped

I unfortunately believed I stripped the threads inside the frame for the motor mount bolt closes to the front if the car. Anyways I have 2 ideas and what to know what you guys think is the better one.
1. Re tap with correct size heli coil kit or a the next size up. Anyone know this bolt thread size? This is the mount on the motor side or if ur looking at the front of the car it's on the left.

2. Take a punch and poke it through so I can see where to drill. Then take a long bolt put it through and put a nut on the other end?
Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated!
Grr I was just justing a rachet too..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I haven't been in this area of my ng for a while so some of what I say may not apply. First check and see if the bolt is not inserted through a slot somewhere. I know some on the 9-5 are, and they are actually removable.

If that's a no, I'd first run a tap of the stock size though that insert and see if it is salvageable. Then use a new bolt and an adhesive and see if it tightens down.

If that is a no can you break it put and put in a regular nut? I punched one out on the 9-5 and was able to slide a nut back there with a wrench and then tighten it up. It wasn't easy.

If all that fails then try your heli coil, or the next size up thread. In my experience there isn't much to these nut plates, there may not be a lot of material.

Consequently I always reinstall these with anti seize. They get a lot of abuse being so low on the car.

Last edited by Tboy; 09-29-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Elder

I'd go straight to the helicoil.

If you end-up using some anti-seize, make sure you de-rate your torque values to account for the lubricative properties of the anti-seize. Guess how I learned that lesson lol.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
TSLMember

That's guys it's defiantly stripped. Is a tap just trying salvage the existing the threads? And a heli coil is actually putting a new thread in? Does any one know the size and thread pitch of this bolt? Or where I can find it?
Thanks Connor
Old 09-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Tap would be to salvage the threads. Helicoil will cut larger (will have to drill it out to proper diameter) then tap for an insert.

I can check tomorrow on what size it is.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Tap would be to salvage the threads. Helicoil will cut larger (will have to drill it out to proper diameter) then tap for an insert.

I can check tomorrow on what size it is.
Thank you very much I really appreciate it!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Elder

It's M10x1.25, and there's a slot in the frame where you could conceivably run a longer bolt through and get your fingers on a nut. I'd still helicoil if you can.

The picture is taken laying on the ground looking up at the frame rail, engine removed. You can see the two holes where the bolts mount, left is towards the front of the car, horizontal slot is above and in-between the two mount locations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=M10x...ead+repair+kit

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 09-29-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
It's M10x1.25, and there's a slot in the frame where you could conceivably run a longer bolt through and get your fingers on a nut. I'd still helicoil if you can.

The picture is taken laying on the ground looking up at the frame rail, engine removed. You can see the two holes where the bolts mount, left is towards the front of the car, horizontal slot is above and in-between the two mount locations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=M10x...ead+repair+kit

Thank you for that! I ordered a helicoil kit off eBay today so hopefully it works. The kit only come with the tap and no drill bit. Is that fine? I read ur suppose to drill it out first? Is that only if your making it bigger?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Elder

No you'll need to drill it out for sure. The kit you bought should tell you the size bit that you'll need.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
TSLMember

Ok well from searching what size bit u need for m10x1.25 is 11/32 so I just need to pick a metal cutting one up. Kit should be here Friday or sat so hopefully have it all done this weekend. One last thing should I get cutting oil or is that not really needed?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #11
SAABeginner

Hi, i am new on this forum.

Sorry for reviving this topic but i found it when i did a search on google.

This problem happened to me a few days ago while i was changing right front engine mount on my 9-3 aero. I cross threaded bolt closer to the front and i believe i have ruined the threads.

I have already tried to fix them with a m10x1,25 tap and the bolt goes in nice but when trying to torque it with torque wrench it just spins in the hole.

I drive the car anyway but it does have excess vibration because this bolt isn't tight enough.

I am interested if condaddy managed to fix his and if its even possible to helicoil it, i have good experiance with the helicoil but i am afraid that when i will start to drill a hole the nut which is welded in the frame will just spin off...or if there is even enough "meat" to put the helicoil in the nut.

Thank you for your help guys i am really mad at myself...

Last edited by hemy; 02-18-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #12
SAABeginner

Anyone?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #13
Elder

Been a couple of years on a 9-3, can you reach the bottom of the nut? Get a longer bolt and see if you can get a nut on the bottom.

When you say that it won't torque, is the nut loose or are the threads blown out? If the nut is spinning, can you tack it with a welder? If the nut is being held securely, helicoil it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemy View Post
Anyone?
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in