Saab Link Forums banner

2001 9-3 engine replacement.... questions

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  DC_SAAB 
#1 ·
What engines will interchange with a '01 2.0L 9-3?

What specific years will I need to stick with?

For what it's worth;
I have the 'H' eighth digit, low pressure turbo, with 5spd trans.

#2 ·
Direct swap is any engine from an old generation 9-3 (98-02). These are all T7 cars and are a direct fit.

You could also use a 9-5 motor that is larger (2.3 liters) that would bolt in directly, but should get a ecu change to accommodate the extra displacement.

A popular swap that is still pretty easy is a b234 swap which generally uses the short block from a 9000 (2.3 liter) and the head from a T7 car.

Search for that last option, there is a ton of info about it.

#3 · (Edited)
Direct swap is any engine from an old generation 9-3 (98-02). These are all T7 cars and are a direct fit.

You could also use a 9-5 motor that is larger (2.3 liters) that would bolt in directly, but should get a ecu change to accommodate the extra displacement.

A popular swap that is still pretty easy is a b234 swap which generally uses the short block from a 9000 (2.3 liter) and the head from a T7 car.

Search for that last option, there is a ton of info about it.
Thanks! That sounds like what I'm looking for.
You have any good sources for that info?

However, my main priority is to avoid getting too much money wrapped up in this car, I was hoping to be able to go with a newer 9-3 engine as they seem to cost less.

If I went with a 9-5 engine what years would I need to stick with?

#4 ·
I'm still not sure if I can rebuild the engine I have.

Here's my posts from the new members thread....

Hi:

Just bought my first Saab as a project car. It's an '01 9-3 with low pressure turbo & 5-speed man. trans., runs good, looks great and drivers great but has an engine knock.

I'll be looking for some advice and information about engine parts, replacement engines, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.
Thanks, some good suggestions.

Here's my take on the engine noise with this car...

There's no apparent problems with the oil pressure, even at running temp there is no oil pressure warning lamp at idle.

It knocks from idle speed up to about 3,000 rpm's, then it gets quiet. The guy I bought it from said he had been driving it like this for about six months. I've put about 100 miles on it, but I think it's getting worse. I got on it hard a couple times and it sure takes off! The knock is also fairly consent, whether I'm on or off the gas pedal.

It also smokes bad at start up, blue oil smoke. But, as well as it runs I'm thinking the compression is good. But I'm still concerned that a piston pin has gone bad?

There's 122k miles on it. I've read about oil sludge problems with these engines and I'm worried that this engine may not be rebuildable with stock size bearing & pistons?

#5 ·
9-3 engines would need to be from 00-02 (or a 03 Convertible). The 99 9-3 was still a t5 b204 engine Later 9-3 was a b207 engine and not compatible. All 9-5 engines (b235) will work, most direct swap would be from a 99-03, 04- would either need to be very complete, or you'd need to swap out some parts to make it work in your car

What's your location?

#6 ·
That's right, sorry I missed that caveat about the T5 engines.

You will only ever know of the motor you have can be rebuilt with stock sizes by pulling it apart and measuring. If it has an audible knock though, I wouldn't hold my breath. You can go oversize bearings by having the crank turned, and oversize pistons by replacing pistons with forged. To my knowledge there are no bearing shells that will fix the crank bore, so if it has spun a bearing you will need a new block.

#10 · (Edited)
I have plenty of time, not in any hurry. I paid $500 for this car and it's in great shape, aside from the engine. I thought it was too good a deal to pass up, there's really nothing else wrong with it, I just hate to get too money wrapped up in it. If nothing else I can sell a few parts and scrap the rest.

Meanwhile, it's still drivable and plated & insured, can still have some fun with it. :cool:

#11 · (Edited)
If it's still drivable .. Most of the Saab turbo cars have some pretty strong internals.. Was surprised to learn there is an Engine knock.. ouch.. any chance you ran it by someone to see what's causing it?

No Check Engine Lights.. low oil pressure or coolant issues. I would do a leak down or compression test.. if you're smoking.. You will probably do that on another used motor anyway.. so Diagnosing this one could save you time having to replace it.. at least to salvage more of what you have... before jumping into another used motor to discover something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.