progress - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
progress

my car is currently in my parents garage on jackstands, minus a front bumper, awaiting brakes before i drive anywhere. so far ive put a new foglight in place of the busted one, and replaced the drives side airsheild. both of which were damaged when i hit that furry thing. also, i managed to straighten my intercooler! wooo!

the problem is the rotor retaining screws. they wont come out. im thinking about buying some nice metal cutting drill bits and just fucking drilling the heads off the damn things. at this point i think its my best option, considering one of the screws is entirely stripped. the other one isnt budging, and will strip if i try any harder to turn it. anyone have an opinion about drilling them?

P.S. i finally took that lower airbox out. no wonder i couldnt see the screw with the bumper on, the air sheilds block it entirely.
P.P.S. i found my outsid air temp sensor just dangling. i think i put it back in the right spot in that hole in the bumper. maybe ill finally get some accurate temp readings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq

Last edited by mg_td; 06-08-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Mike, I'll be up tonight after dinner to lend a hand.

When we did my brakes two of the rotors had issues coming off on account of the retaining screw. With one of the screws we jammed a flat head screw driver in there and we got it out that way. With the other one I seem to remember brute force and we basically sheared the head of the screw off by rapping on the back of the rotor with a hammer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
If you really want to get those screws out get yourself a cobalt drill bit and a set of ez-outs and you should have no issues getting them out.

I'll also admit I clicked on this thread expecting to read something to the effect that you ripped your motor out already and had a b234 block in there already :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
yea drilling it out works. THey are just there to aid in keeping it place while doing the brakes, and help the holes to stay ligned up with the hub so that putting the wheel on is easy.

Impact screw driver can help, but not many people have one
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 06-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
why wont they come out? stripped or just stuck?
for my i just soak em in liquid wrench and alan key and some vice grips work everytime...
but ive heard the stripped story a lot...
e-z izzout!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
JK
Elder

E-Z out...thats how I always get them out! They work great on that application.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #7

what is ez out exactley? i guess ill google it. i dont care enough to retain them, and drilling sounds easy.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #8

google didnt tell me shit about e-z out...

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 06-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Elder

Go soak the screws again.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #10

I'm still at work. i think im going to go to sears and buy a drill bit to do the job, i tried to get it out eariler with a few good whacks with a hammer and the appropriately sized hex key, no luck. i hammed a screwdriver in the other side, it wouldnt move anything, and its still in there. drilling sounds like fun, too.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 06-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg_td
google didnt tell me shit about e-z out...
ez outs are used for extracting frozen or stripped fasteners

Basically you drill a hole in the fastener slightly smaller then the fastener itself, hammer the ez out in, and turn the ez out with an adjustable wrench or something, which turns the fastener.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
Elder

Okay. There are special bits for taking out stuck screws. The guys in the tool dept. are usually pretty helpful.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #13

to sears i go!

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 06-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #14
Elder

Yeah you'll need a good drill bit...get a cobalt one so you can use it again. The EZ out isn't for drilling the fastener. It grips the inside of the hole in the fastener so you can get it out.

...and DON'T ever break an ez out off. You'll be screwed if that happens...they're made of extremely hard stuff (ie HRC up near 65-70), harder then most drill bits.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #15

i would hope they're made of tough shit, im psyched for a tool shopping trip, im really going this time, stromer - give me a call when you head out.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 06-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
haha the problem with them being so hard, is that they are also brittle so they can snap!...Just be carefull....plus its not like this screw is some super hard fastner to get out, so you should be fine.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 06-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #17

well im lucky i made it there when i did, apparently they're phasing out their tap and die items and screw extractors, go figure.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 06-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #18
Elder

Thats a bunch of bs. You might have to try an industrial tool supply place to get some. They're not too expensive either....the set of like 6 I've got was maybe 20 bucks?

Old 06-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #19

an impact screw driver works wonders, however as wyldesaabman pointed out, not many people have them. Try the soaking method. I use PB blaster which has worked for me beter than liquid wrench. Let it sit for a while and then try it.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #20

too late. its done. except the bumper isnt fully attached yet, and the wheels arent back on, but im just fuckin' drained. we ended up having to basically drill through the outside edge of the screw around the whole thing in order to get the rotors off, because i snapped the extractor i bought when i was twisting. go figure. it worked though, and now i have new brakes and ill never have to worry about that god damn screw ever again.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in