looking for general info on the Vig - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Question looking for general info on the Vig

Had my car in the shop today at school to do some "tests" on for some worksheets. I was the only on in the group with ABS. But either way one of the guys in my class comes over as it's on the lift and starts asking me questions about it.

1.) What turbo does it have in it?
2.) Power and torque ratings? (I know it's 225 hp and 252 lb/ft) My question about that is: is that bhp or wheel power/torque?
3.) How much bigger is the stock intercooler for the viggen vs. a 9-3 HOT?
4.) How much larger are the brakes on the Viggen vs. 9-3?

He has a heavily modified Subaru Impreza with a "JDM" motor in it. I know this is synonymous with "ricer" but this is one nice set up. It was built to run 100 octane from Japan...yikes . Great sounding exhaust (no cats..), lowered, 18's, racing seat (like hard core rally). He used to rally it when he lived out in California but now he's just going to autocross it here.

If you guys have any answers to my questions above, that would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Elder

1) td04hl-15t 5cm exhaust housing
2)all bhp or "in the motor"
3)dont know if the ic is bigger just that instead of a dual pass its a single pass and better flowing
4)not sure

careful of jdm subarus they are one car that really benefits from jdm motors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cpenning623
the intercooler is the exact same assuming its 200 onwards, 99 is different

dont know about brake size, but the vig has slotted rotors

Old 06-03-2006, 03:05 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
only the base 9-3 had the dual pass ic you mean after 2000, the brakea are 308mm slotted rotors in front, im not sure if the reg 9-3 brakes are 288 or what. the rear rotors are the same size, but slotted.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:16 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
All Viggens had the dual-pass, which is the same as the non 9-3 SE.

Yes, Viggen rotors are 308mm. Regular 9-3 are 288. Older ng900's had 284, I think before 96.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer
All Viggens had the dual-pass, which is the same as the non 9-3 SE.
you must be tired seth.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:24 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Yes, sure am.

Viggen is the same as 9-3 SE, which is cross-flow. All non-SE has the dual pass.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:18 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Like they said, your rotors are bigger but the caliper is the same size, it just uses a special bracket that moves it up and out a little bit.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:35 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Funny thing about the IC. I think after 2000 all 9-3's use the "viggen" IC. I was looking at a 2000 base model 9-3 yesterday and it had the crossflow cooler. It also had a 5 button SID which is pretty odd.

Anyway about the japanese 100 octane. It's probably not that crazy because its probably just 100 octane RON, where as here in the states we use an average of RON+MON. Which is why you see this: (RON+MON)/2 at the pumps.

RON=research octane number
MON=Motor octane number

so 100 octane could probably relate to the rare sunocco station that carries our 94 octane
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 06-03-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
The brakes come out to 12.1 inches. And the last stock 99 dyno I saw showed 220wheel hp and 260lbs of tq.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
the last one i saw had 232whp and 284 lb ft. STOCK!
its a friggen crazy car.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 06-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221
the last one i saw had 232whp and 284 lb ft. STOCK!
its a friggen crazy car.
WHOA! That's weird, why would they rate the car lower than what it puts out? 284 lb ft, dang that's alot of twist. Can any one else verify this? I would be wicked stoked if that's not far off. Not that I don't trust you Stx, it's just they rated 225 bhp and 252 lb ft, those numbers are alot larger, mainly thr toruwe rating (not a bad thing though ). Thanks for the info guys, this has been very informative for me the relative newb with Saabs.

The guy with the Subaru says he has to run 100 pump octane (RON+MON)/2. He puts the highest grade he can get from a pump then octane booster. I should have asked him what he uses but he says it's wicked expensive.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #13

i just witnessed the pull. pretty nuts. my car put down 203 whp and 234 wtq with no software, but hardware enough for stage 3.
at 15% drivetrain correction thats 238 bhp and 275 btq. at 18% drivetrain correction its 247 bhp 285 btq

Last edited by mg_td; 06-03-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
yeah, it just happened earlier today at the portland dyno day. it was a lot of fun, but i was highly disappointed (see my other post).

Nick

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 06-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #15

so this Viggen dynoed out at those numbers today? or did I just read wrong. I couldn't make it today, my best friend's graduation was today. If that dyno run was today, who's car was it?

Old 06-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg_td
i just witnessed the pull. pretty nuts. my car put down 203 whp and 234 wtq with no software, but hardware enough for stage 3.
at 15% drivetrain correction thats 238 bhp and 275 btq. at 18% drivetrain correction its 247 bhp 285 btq
well you know what people say about T7, it can adapt down and possibly even cause a loss in power.

Have you Dynoed it stock?

I wonder what it would have put down?

Also I know that you have had problems in the past...didnt the dealer replace the turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvinr11
The guy with the Subaru says he has to run 100 pump octane (RON+MON)/2. He puts the highest grade he can get from a pump then octane booster. I should have asked him what he uses but he says it's wicked expensive.
oh ok, just making sure he really did need that high of an octane Glad to see you know the difference
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 06-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #17

Was that a Dynojet dyno?
Old 06-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldSaabMan
well you know what people say about T7, it can adapt down and possibly even cause a loss in power.

Have you Dynoed it stock?

I wonder what it would have put down?

Also I know that you have had problems in the past...didnt the dealer replace the turbo?
yeah the turbo has 25k miles on it. ive put 27k on the car while ive had it since the end of january 2005. the first dyno day it was mostly stock, at f1dyno i forget the actual numbers, 193 whp and 240 wtq. its definitely stronger since then. so their dyno may have been reading wtq high, as they suggested at the time. i am happy with the accuracy of this dyno though. il llikely be back there to dyno the next time i need to. sorry ot be OT. the point is there are unexplained variations in viggens.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldSaabMan
oh ok, just making sure he really did need that high of an octane Glad to see you know the difference
yeah, he told me it needed 100 and I think my eyes bugged out because he laughed. He also said it pinged with anything but a mix around 100. It's the "JDM" 2.0L Turbo. He's done alot of mods and it is a really nice car. But 100 octane is just a bit high.

they made us memorize all that ROM and MON stuff in my intro class because they thought it was important. Well, I have forgotten most of it but I do remember the difference between RON and MON and what the pumps put out. Finally came in handy.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg_td
yeah the turbo has 25k miles on it. ive put 27k on the car while ive had it since the end of january 2005. the first dyno day it was mostly stock, at f1dyno i forget the actual numbers, 193 whp and 240 wtq. its definitely stronger since then. so their dyno may have been reading wtq high, as they suggested at the time. i am happy with the accuracy of this dyno though. il llikely be back there to dyno the next time i need to. sorry ot be OT. the point is there are unexplained variations in viggens.

This is very true. Mine developed a problem that the dealer so far hasnt found and I have been throwing parts at it. They drive it and say it feels like a normal Viggen yet I know its missing power. Most people who would drive it think its fine, but when you own the car and you felt it the day it lost the power you want that power back. I think 100% healthy stock Viggens show it on the dyno, anything less and you wind up with a car like yours or like mine. I still have a couple more things to try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in