manual transmission fluid - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: which mtf do you run?
Saab MTF 0063 8 53.33%
pennzoil syncromesh 6 40.00%
royal purple 1 6.67%
redline 2 13.33%
other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
Elder

manual transmission fluid

I need to refill the fluid in my '98 900 convertible transmission. what came out was the gm mtf0063, is it recommended to replace with the same? or is there a better fluid to use? I've heard good things about the redline , royal purple and pennzoil syncromesh.

what do you all recommend?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I had 0063 in mine for a long time. Had to use syncromesh last fall when 0063 wasn't available in a pinch. Seems to shift quite a bit better (02 9-3 gearbox).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Elder

I think I will probably try the pennzoil syncromesh

Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
not to confuse the subject, but aren't pennzoil and GM syncromesh the same or very similar?
Old 05-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Elder

that's not something I'm aware of, but if it is that's even better. the pennzoil is more readily available and comparable in price.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
pennzoil synchromesh for the "shifts like butta" feel

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
To answer my question... no, they are not.
People speak VERY highly of GM syncromesh, though.
I've not done a ton of research, but I believe the AC Delco syncromesh friction modified is the bees knees. (and about $13/Qt)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Is there a reason why people wouldn't use 0063? I have never used anything else and have never thought "my trans feels under lubricated." I'm curious what else is out there!

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Is there a reason why people wouldn't use 0063? I have never used anything else and have never thought "my trans feels under lubricated." I'm curious what else is out there!
Redline MTL and 0063, can't tell a difference.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Redline MTL and 0063, can't tell a difference.
Good to know. I can't lie, I was spooked about trans fluid/oil back when I had c900s because they were so picky. I vowed to always use OEM since.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

It depends on climate. Gm synchromesh is just pensoil 5-30 non detergent oil with friction additives. Both' same product. I like amsoil syncromesh to if you want full syn with additives. Royol purple. Also great. The 063 wastes the bearings & the added wear on internals of pre 03 boxes is obvious when you disassemble a pretty o3 box run with 063.; use o63 if your in Canada or a cold climate like new england. If your closer to the mason Dixon or below. Use the heavier 3syncromeshes. Full syn or not. 063 is just plain too thin for hot climates
Old 05-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #12
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
It depends on climate. Gm synchromesh is just pensoil 5-30 non detergent oil with friction additives. Both' same product. I like amsoil syncromesh to if you want full syn with additives. Royol purple. Also great. The 063 wastes the bearings & the added wear on internals of pre 03 boxes is obvious when you disassemble a pretty o3 box run with 063.; use o63 if your in Canada or a cold climate like new england. If your closer to the mason Dixon or below. Use the heavier 3syncromeshes. Full syn or not. 063 is just plain too thin for hot climates
Good to know. My 2000 has the reverse problem and it is much worse when the gearbox is warm (0063). Maybe a thicker MTF will help the issue a little.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I love Royal purple sycromax...

I have used Redline MT85 and the Royal puple is way better,,..

Shifts like butter..
Old 05-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
Elder

I filled my trans with pennzoil syncromesh, will update after a while on my impressions
Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #15
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I'm going to try RP Synchromax because its $15 on prime.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #16
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I've used Redline MTL and 0063. I couldn't tell a difference on my NG and it shifts smooth.
I did a flush and fill of 0063 in my 9-5 with no change. Still grinds in reverse in the cold and shifts like poop most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in