Viggen 4dr shifter cable Part number? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Viggen 4dr shifter cable Part number?

Before I begin, I did search the forums(granted I'm horrendous when it comes to searches). I just didnt find what I was looking for, so please forgive me if this has been covered.

Anyways Its story time!
I was driving my car all day, no problems pulled into the mall parked it and I didn't stall. When I came back out and went to drive home, Nothing happened at all. I was stuck in 4th somehow, shift lever was everywhere. I got it towed to an unfortunately very busy mechanic.(feel bad for the guy) He told me that the sifter cable was busted, and he told me he has no idea what labor or what the part would cost. I told him I'd do everything I can to help him out.

I did find a part I'm just not sure if it is "The" part.
eEuroparts has this code for a shifter cable 4776027
it does say 9-3 all but when i run it through a comparability check it only says viggen 2 door not 4 door. Is there actually a difference, or did someone get lazy at the keyboard?

EDIT:A link would be helpful.....http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4843...Cable-4776027/

Last edited by Screaming Monkey; 05-03-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

The part info for that link says for automatic transmissions. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the Viggens have a shifter cable, they have a manual shifter linkage that has a bolt that directly links the shifter to the transmission. But I'm not sure why it would be stuck in 4th gear. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Elder

rl0089's right, there's no shift cable for any of the Viggens, and all Viggens came with manual transmissions. That new eeuroparts tool is wrong.

The connection between the shifter and the shift linkage on the trans is a rod with a knurled end.

The knurled-end side is on the transmission shift linkage side, and loosening a through-bolt with a lock nut on the end of it allows for adjustment. It sounds like the shifter rod may have slipped out of the transmission shift linkage.

Here's the part where the connection is on the transmission side: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4965...embly-4626321/

At the bottom of the pic you can see a black plastic disk with a nylon lock washer, the rod is inserted into that, and the nut that you can see in the pic is then tightened to choke around the rod.

Make sure you cross shop any part numbers before ordering from the New eeruoparts, they've been quite a bit more expensive (like 30% more) compared to other places on most of the parts I've cross checked there recently.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 05-03-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
SAABeginner

HUH, how did I miss that......well I guess that explains why you dont shop after getting up at 4 am for a fishing trip..... Drew, so I would have to take a ride down to the shop to confirm this(the mechanic said he kept seeing somehting moving around while another guy ran it through the gears), but if im understanding you correctly its not a part but rather a tightening of a bolt i need?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Elder

Well...I don't know for sure, hopefully though. . The symptoms you describe line-up with the shifter rod being out of place. Hopefully that's the case because that's an easy one to fix.

Be sure to followup with the diagnosis. These cars aren't anything crazy, any competent mechanic with a metric tool set can work on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Monkey View Post
HUH, how did I miss that......well I guess that explains why you dont shop after getting up at 4 am for a fishing trip..... Drew, so I would have to take a ride down to the shop to confirm this(the mechanic said he kept seeing somehting moving around while another guy ran it through the gears), but if im understanding you correctly its not a part but rather a tightening of a bolt i need?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
SAABeginner

okay I will try to make a run up there today or tomorrow and take a look(its still at the shop). Worse comes to worse and the rod/ knuckle is actually broken, do you know the name/ part number
Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
SAABeginner

SHEEEE LIIIIIIVVVVVEEEES!.....now that I got that out

What the actual problem was, was the linkage itself
( i am trying to add a pic i hop it works) but essentially what happened was on that little 4 inch rod in the linkage one of the plastic grips cracked in half, allowing it to slip out. The fix was a bit of very strong epoxy where the crack was and hose clamps to hold it together. Otherwise I'd have to buy the whole assembly. While driving it home it felt actually really solid. I'm not a 100% but I think the gear changes feel a little stiffer then when I dropped it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linkage.jpg (37.8 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in