Brake Lights and Reverse Lights - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Brake Lights and Reverse Lights

Anyone know what the problem may be or has anyone had this problem?

My brake lights seem to only work when they want to these days.

I checked my #12 fuse (stop lights) and i checked the #31 fuse (reverse lights) and both are not burned.

I took the panel off my trunk the other day and removed the light panels with the bulbs in it, all bulbs are fine. I thought i had narrowed the problem to what seemed to be the drivers side tailight wire harness. When i removed the bulb plate for the tailight and had someone press the brake...the brake lights worked with the bulb panel just hanging there in the trunk (including the middle brake light in the trunk! I then reinstalled the bulb panel and tried the brakes again and got nothing! Very frustrating!

i tried this like 10 times! and about 5 of the 10 times i got the same result!
nonetheless i gave up last night tinkering with it cuz it was dark and late!

this morning i get in and touch the brake and its on! Then i tap it again and it doesnt work! What the heck...................

Last edited by dasaabguy; 05-08-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
Check the switch? But I don't know if that'd make your reverse lights go wonky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #3

which switch are you referring to?
is there a brake light switch that the pedal arm hits when the brake is being applied or something?

Old 05-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
Yes... I haven't had to look for it on an newer Saab yet, but it's usually somewhere along the pedal arm's line of travel. I always managed to smoosh mine stuck on after I bled the brakes in the old 900's. There's also a switch somewhere that activates your reverse lights. Maybe they've been going weird all this time and you just didn't notice until now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

This problem happens on the NG900's too...

http://townsendimports.com/Web/elect...round4door.htm
Old 05-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
JK
Elder

I agree with VincentD - It is certainly a grounding problem, as SAAB decided to run the ground wire all the way through the wire harness to the front of the car rather than grounding it in back. Essentially just make a "redundant" ground to the lights in back and ground it directly to some bare metal in the trunk area.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #7

It definitely does sound like a grounding issue or some corrosion inhibiting grounds. A friend of mine had a Jetta VR-6 and when he hit the brakes the turn signals stopped. The connectors to the tail lights were all corroded. Cleaned it off and it worked like new. Check all your grounds, clean them and tighten them back down and see if it helps.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #8

does anyone know where saab decided to run the ground to the brake lights on the ng900?

i will crawl under the dash again tonight to see if i can follow the wire's from the switch to the ground!

I guess it would have to be some sort of grounding issue or short, this would explain why it works every now and then.

THis morning i jumped in and tapped the brake and it worked, then when i tapped it again it didnt work! It always seems to work that first time when i jump into the car the next morning! Hmmmm will temperature affect the ground?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I dont think temp will affect the ground but a my guess is that the ground is pedal related on the harnes and when you start pushing it the ground breaks. Why not find the ground wire in the rear of the car and run a temporary wire to ground in the trunk and see if the lights work all the time. If they do then hard wire the ground in and go from there.

Hey what happened to the Mitchell CD i gave you for the NG's..... that has wiring diagrams in it.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #10

oh schnapps i forgot about those mitchells....i guess i should use them huh! ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in