2K viggen track day at 145K miles? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

2K viggen track day at 145K miles?

Debating on doing a track day this year, haven't been for a handful of years. Any opinions on if with the known weak piston issues of these cars.... if I should skip it until I can afford another car or should I take it out and play?

Stg 3+ ECU with necessary hardware plus a -18t-6cm turbo

I probably attended 8 or so track days in the car...

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Hmm. Any idea how much power it is making?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Elder

2nd that. Maybe more importantly, what does the torque curve look like and EGT's?

And also the boost profile and overshoot, like if you're rolling in 3rd at 3-4k rpm and smash it, what happens?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Elder

I drove around for a long time thrashing my 19T stock piston B205R at 320whp, no problems. That was with a tune that held off on torque delivery. When I got greedy and went for more, I cracked a piston.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
I drove around for a long time thrashing my 19T stock piston B205R at 320whp, no problems. That was with a tune that held off on torque delivery. When I got greedy and went for more, I cracked a piston.
Wow, you kept a car over ~250whp with stock pistons together for how long? How much torque?

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #6

B205R has a lower compression ratio than the B235, so Drew had a little more wiggle room.

Gotta agree with the general feeling I'm getting here, which is a slight wincing at the thought of WOT shifting a heavily boosted, stock pistoned B235. Dunno if I would risk wailing on an engine that is already operating at the edge of its known envelope.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Wow, you kept a car over ~250whp with stock pistons together for how long? How much torque?

Maybe 40-50 thousand miles or so (?). More than three years anyway and I drive a lot. Power is tq. X rpm/5252, so as long as the torque is reasonable my experience is that mine hung together. Like Mike wrote, that was a B205R though, lower compression and a little different piston. Boost was also under good control down low.

I was allowing 26psi at like 4k rpms when it cracked lol. It still drove pretty nice like that actually, the most noticeable thing was leaking oil from crank pulley seal and really slight off-sort-of chugging sound. Still made lots of power and had like 85psi compression on that cylinder.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
gm

I hily doubt I am over 250whp and wtq I don't know. Never had it on a dyno after all the go fast stuff.....

There is no mid range tq spike, I have the t5 cams in there as well.....

I would say when I smash it at 3-4k boost its pulls quite well to redline.... I had to swap my car for my rv and can't get the car until Monday, I will report back

Old 04-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Elder

In that case I say try it. If your MAF is good, and your AFR is good across the range and there's no ignorant low range torque spike then I'd think you'll be good.

I'd run it, but that's just my opinion. I'm not telling you to do it though, just that I'd run it lol, so don't blame me if anything happens. Dibs on your stereo setup if there's a part-out afterwards.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
gm

Lol ... I actually just changed the sub on my car two weeks ago....

Yea I am leaning toward running it.... Its been so long since I was at the track and I need some play time. Like you mentioned the tq spike in the midrange is gone!!

Maf hasn't been replaced for quite a while actually.... Maybe I should throw a new one on to be safe??

Old 04-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #11

You know your car better than anyone, so if it feels good (and no funky spikes or hint of leaning) then go for it...

A new MAF might be a good idea, though. Can't hurt to have peace of mind!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #12

What track? How much do you care about the car?

Anytime you can get on a track, I say do it. If something goes up, at least there will be plenty of people there to pat you on the back and try to make you feel better.

In the motorcycle club racing world where I reside, we always say, "if you can't afford to wad it up, don't bring it"
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #13
gm

yea car feels the same as it has for years.... just always that voice in the back of my head asking when it will throw a piston When I took the SPG to the track it was always a worry of when the trans would let go...

Yea unfortunantly wadding it up is part of the game. Seen a few accidents over the years aat the track. I will go to Putnam Park which is a very safe track, really only 1 turn that if you go off you WILL hit a wall. All other turns you are in a grass field approaching corn

The track day that I was thinking of attenfing is in June if I recall. I figure it would be a good way to end the life of my pilot super sports which are very close to the tread marks.....

Love to do a track day on a bike but due to no leathers it's not something I can afford to do. Been debatiing on buying a motorcross bike so I could go play for a day at a MX track. But I am a total chicken Thats what happend I think when we get old and have kids.....

Old 04-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #14
Avid TSL User

GM, I'm confused, you've attended 8 track days with your stage 3 Viggen and you're thinking of doing another? Or was it stock power when you were tracking it?

I have a stage 3 Vig and swap back the stock ecu/tune when I go to the track. Like you say, just a little peace of mind... but I have a stock turbo and intercooler so less safety margin than you. Anyhow, I've always felt the car has enough power for the track. More grip, brakes, and an lsd, now that would be cool.

Have fun.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #15
gm

Yea 8 or so track days in the viggen due to my old SPG being broken down thus took the viggen in its place.

car was stock suspension wise and also stock brakes. If I recall the only changes I might of had at some of the later track days were ic, air filter and maybe the up pipe or whatever its called.

Since that time I took the brakes off of my SPG and put them on the viggen, thus ap racing up front, LSD with the new Trans as well as better suspension and mild hp updates mostly to eliminate the midrange tq spike and hopefully run with less chance if throwing a piston.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Viggen to the track

GM, I just went to a more conservative tune on my Viggen, back to stock injectors and fuel and 15t with 6cm, but with all the rest of the hardware from a stage 4, ie intake, intercooler, T-5 cams, exaust, suspension, Quaife.... just about everything. Car runs like it should have from the factory, most consistant throttle response, no overboost or torque spikes, no pulling back of boost, maybee 20lbs but I keep it at higher rpm's. Engine response is more like a T-5 car and I feel much more confident. Going to the track with it, I worry about the brakes more than the engine now.
However I do have new Wossners in the four big holes.

Last edited by MTAERO; 04-08-2014 at 03:50 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
gm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uUToXGJ...ature=youtu.be

hopefully that link will work, finally had time to attempt a short video. Total PITA attempting to drive on the highway... accelerating... catching up with traffic holding a IPad

I did two runs in the video, 1st is on RPM/Speedo and the second run is mostly the boost gauge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in