Replacing the Valves in a B235R Head - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Replacing the Valves in a B235R Head

Posted this at saabcentral, but thought I would bring it here as well.

I work at a vocational school that has an automotive program and the automotive instructor has been helping me with my engine rebuild for my Viggen. Recently, we had the motor sent to a machine shop. He has a history with this shop so I don't feel like I am being ripped off. However, I am also far from an expert in machine work and have never had machine work done before.

The motor was previously built (by JZW, previous owner) and I am having it inspected and rebuilt. The machinist is recommending that all intake and exhaust valves be replaced; two exhaust valves were bent, and he believed they were too thin for him to cut. The rebuild did not have many miles on it, maybe at the most, between 5,000 and 10,000, but was burning oil for the previously owner before I bought it. Is this reasonable to believe that all valves need to be replaced this quickly?

Also, if I do replace all of the valves, do I need to look for a specific intake and exhaust valve? Because I have seen numerous ones listed at different prices for the Viggen and for the 9-5, both B235R. Is there a specific manufacturer I should be looking for? The cheapest I found were:

http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/saab...IakBm-Ouj0NhAE

and

Saab Engine Intake Valve W0133-1842225 - AE at Auto Parts Network

Do these prices seem to good to be true? I know eeuroparts, under Viggen valves, lists the intake at about $20 each the exhaust at over $100. Meanwhile, under the 9-5, the exhaust valves are listed at about $19. Any advice on where to get these valves?

He did mic the block and pistons and said everything looked great there.

Also, RockAuto sells exhaust valves under the Viggen subcategory:

AE Part #V94364: Valve stem diameter [mm]: 5.000; Valve Head Diameter [mm]: 29.000; Valve Seat Angle []: 45; Chrome-nickel-magnesium-steel; Surface: Nitrified; Stellite covered valve seat; Length [mm]: 108.000
Engine code [B235R]

Are these considered the nimonic valves?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Elder

Here is a listing from eEuroparts, one of the site sponsors, 9179219 Genuine SAAB - Exhaust Valve - Free Shipping. If you order enough there is a discount code and free/reduced shipping.

Someone was selling a done 235 head for ~$400, get that your in votech, but might be cheaper to find good used valves or a head that is done.

Congrats on going down the path!
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Elder

The expensive valves are nickel alloy (trademarked name is Nimonic).

The cheaper valves are sodium cooled stainless steel of some kind.

If the car runs lean enough it will still melt the Nimonic valves tho.

I almost never replace all the valves when I do builds - the factory stuff is plenty strong. However, if your T7 head has lots of miles and you plan on tuning it then it'd be a good idea to do the exhaust valves. Having a good fit between the valve seat and valve sealing face is how the valve transfers heat from the valve back into the head (some heat transfer happens in the bronze guides too, but the end of the valve is the hottest, especially at the sealing face). If they don't have a good contact area the valve can't shed enough head and will start to melt. Once that happens combustion pressure just blows out the soft melty portion and your compression goes away.

The only thing that will damage the intake valves is if the engine ingests something and bangs up the seat, or if they contact the piston(s) and bend, so I'd leave them if it were me.

You can also retrofit the thicker T5 valves by changing to the larger diameter valve guides and stem seals (and the valve seat angle might be different, so you'd have to have the valve seats ground special too), but that's more labor at the cylinder head shop (unless they were already quoting you to press the old guides out and press new ones in).

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Last edited by DrewP; 04-01-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Thank you very much guys for the info. Right now, I'm going to try my best to source a good set of used exhaust valves. If anyone knows of any, please keep me in mind!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
hold on you might need to contact JZW
if this is the engine that i think it is it may have T5 valve in it
so if you order the stock valve they will be too small due to the port work and valve job done by JZW

have the valves measured before you order anything
T5 valves are much cheaper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating

Last edited by grkguy89; 04-03-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Thank you! I had forgotten to ask the machinist for the measurements of the valves. I was thinking that maybe it had T5 valves from the build but couldn't find anything mentioned in the history of the motor other than they were new, but that would make much more sense! I believe you knew the original owner grkguy (from the for sale thread), the one who was working on the 99 viggen but ended up parting it out. Would there be a way to identify this specific engine if I wanted to contact JZW? Again, I can't thank you enough, especially coming from someone who is learning as he goes and gets most of his help from these forums. The advice and help is invaluable!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

One more question, I'll have to get exactly measurements, but should these valves be the ones that came on the turbo 2.3 9000? Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl0089 View Post
One more question, I'll have to get exactly measurements, but should these valves be the ones that came on the turbo 2.3 9000? Thanks again.
Yep, that's a B234 engine. T5 engine management...
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Measurements came back as T7 valves so it looks like I'll be in the hunt for some Viggen/Aero valves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in