Abrasion on the clear coat of paint on 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Abrasion on the clear coat of paint on 9-3

Ok basic wear and tear... i can see some scratches on the side of my car, im wondering if there is a way to buff these out. It looks as if i were to take some steel wool and lightly rub the surface, they would come out. I tired this on some areas, but there are tiny scratches from the steel wool, wow i really wasnt expecting it as much as it turned out. is/are there any way to get these tiny abrasions out? Like toothpaste maybe since that is a light abrassicve, dont worry i wont do anything till i get a responce. I dont know what to do lol im a total nub... scrub-a-dub!??? haha... thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Please don't use steel wool. I think I just cried a little bit. I just post about meguiars website a few days ago. Check this link out and explore the included links on this page: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=2409 They seem to have an answer for everything on their website!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
JK
Elder

NO STEEL WOOL!!! Steel (even in wool form) is a harder material than paint - therefor it will scratch the hell out of it! I also cried a little hearing that...
Also a big ol' NO to toothpaste! I will try to sounds nice about this...but this is a car, NOT teeth, NOT cookware. Auto paint is not a hard substance and will scratch with the wrong type of abrasives.

What you can do is wet sand the area with a random orbital sander with 1500 grit sand paper, but I would leave that up to someone who knows a thing or two about car finishes (ie a body man), and then they can buff it with the correct type of polish and wax. This is likely the only way you will get rid of the damage that the steel wool caused!

You can also try a good automotive wax and polish system that is meant to be allpied by hand it you with to DIY this.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to fretrunner9000 Send a message via MSN to fretrunner9000
while we are on the topic of paint and fixing stuff... what do you guys recomend for things like rock chips and little scratchs?
Does the touch up paint you can get for "all gm vehicals" look decent?
Ive got a few little things on my hood and on a door i think could look better if done right but ive been too afraid to try ne thing for fear of it looking bad.

For a more serious one ..a while ago i had a decent sized rock take a half in by half in. chip of paint off of the lower passengers side door right at the hindge and im deathly afraid its gonna start to rust... what the best way to take care of it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 93 Linear Stage 2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
JK
Elder

Is your car black? If yes then most black touch-up paint will work just fine...it is not as good as a repaint, but it will protect from rust and make the chips MUCH less visable. Just be sure you "dab" the piant into the chips, if you brush it/smear it on it will not look that great. Also, make sure the surface is good and clean!

Another tip - at the body shop I worked for we would use tootpicks to apply paint to small rock chips because its easy to get too much paint in a chipped area with a brush. Dip the toothpick in the piant so there is a drip on the end and dap that into the chip. (this was for areas that the owner did not pay to have refinnished...we would just do this for free since we always had left over paint that matched the car's finish)
Old 05-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to fretrunner9000 Send a message via MSN to fretrunner9000
cool it is black!

one of the few redeaming factors about that color minus it looking bad ass.
Is there some kinda finish or somting that supposed to go over it or is it already kinda shinny?

Thanks JK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 93 Linear Stage 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in