Possible to get Viggen on Ramps? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Question Possible to get Viggen on Ramps?

I was going to put the Viggen on the Rhino Ramps to do my oil change but the bumper is fucking low it was not possible. Do I have to make custom ramps? Anyone done this?

I ended up using the Saab jack and axle stand for back up. I gave enough room to work with but ramps make it so much easier. Of course the plug was on so tight I had to hit the end of the wrench with a hammer. Rest went ok.

I also loosened the wheel bolts and re-torqued to 85 ft-lbs. Could not find the torque setting in the manual but that is what the 98 900SE manual said for alloys. It's a good thing I did because the lugs were so tight/corroded that I needed to use a 3 foot breaker bar to snap them loose!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
I cant even used ramps on my lowered 9-3s, couldnt even use them when it was at stock ride height. All though maybe the rhino ramps are lower profile. Either way ramps tend to be a no no with our cars.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-04-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
You can do what I have done with ramps. Jack the car up and put the ramps under it when I have it up and then reverse the process for getting them down. Side note is I did this when i did not have a set of jack stands handy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to marky373
What if you add really long boards to the ends of the ramps?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Tried that with my stock 9-3 HOT and I still could not get the front lip to go up peacefully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Trollerator
Elder

probably not ramps.

my car has viggen kit and lowered too.

it is soooo low.

HOW LOW IS IT?

the mechanic tried to put the arms for the lift under it and the side skirts were too low, almost touching the ground. he could not get it on the lift without first jacking it up using a floor jack in the front. and so he gos to the front and almost cannot fit the floor jack under the front bumper

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-04-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
Trollerator
Elder

I am dreading the next time i get an alignment. if they can get it on the rack without damage.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
If you look on my cardomain page I was able to use ramps to do my rear sway bar without screwing up the front airdam.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:13 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
backing the car up onto ramps is a lot differnt then pulling it up. The rear bumper has a lot more clearence.

I guess what your saying is, when the back was up on ramps the front didnt touch the ground?
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 05-04-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
Trollerator
Elder

that would not work on mine ^^^^

the front would touch if the back got raised much at all

you should see the crazy angles/manouvres i pull to get in and out of parking lots with even mild ramps

viggen bumpers are pimp but not for everyone. you do lose some ease of entry into certain places... but then again when lowered on my SE kit I still had to be careful, just not as careful as now

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #11

why not just use jack stands!?!?

x-VWer:

Old 05-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #12
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Or,

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10144

I have these, and they work great!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #13
SAAB Road Master

I have heard people crushing their fog lights trying to use ramps with Viggen front bumper.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I have done that on my base 9-3. Hence, the ramps.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Not many options I guess. I may have to make one out of 2x10's. Or use the jack for now.

In Europe some garages were made with a pit so you walk below the car for service. And cover up with steel plates for safety.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #16
Trollerator
Elder

when I wen tto jiffy lube back when i had the old 325e their garage was like that. dude was under the car standing in a cool pit

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldSaabMan
backing the car up onto ramps is a lot differnt then pulling it up. The rear bumper has a lot more clearence.

I guess what your saying is, when the back was up on ramps the front didnt touch the ground?

exactly. So thats encouraging that it can be done with the front for an oil change.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #18

I have a thick roll of carpet pad I put in front of the ramps. It lifts the front end enough to clear everything.
Of course, that was on my old non-lowered 94. Not sure how well that would work on a lowered car, but it's worth a shot!

Old 05-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
just use 2x4s and drive up onto them to raise the hieght of the car until you can get onto the ramps. We do this at work when we can't get the lift arms under the sideskirts of cars.

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 05-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #20
dip

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
Ramp extentions is the answer. My car is lower than a stock Viggen, and they work just fine front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in