Piece of S**T mechanics - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to marky373
Piece of S**T mechanics

There are few things that piss me off, but the biggest one is when someone lies to me. I went in today to a local indy to see if I could get my front wheels aligned after I did my tie-rod ends to make sure I don't wear out my tires and to eliminate some brake wobble. I go in they take it right away tell me itll be 49.95, which is a hella lot cheaper than Sears and my cousin took his car there and seemed to be decent.

An hour later they come in tell me that they can't do it cuz the outer tie rod end bolt wont move. The same tie-rod ends that I installed. Tell me itll be another $50 and another 1.5 more. I ask them to let me see whats up, they show me and I tell them I installed those. Then the mechanic describes to me everything he has to do, take the wheel off, heat the bolt and all kinds of shit. He does this all while not really looking at me and im standing there thinking ok if you are gonna lie then atleast look at me. Then he tells me that I can align it myself with a tape measure... which makes me question how the hell they were gonna align it in the first place...

I tell them i'll unsieze those bolts for them and call them back, I pick up my keys the guy is like "$49.95" I stood there and said "what? They didn't do anything" Simple mis understanding I took my keys get in my car and the fucking guy stepped all over my mats with his greasy boots....

What bothers me is that one of the guys drives a 94 saab NA. They see my car all maintained and looking clean and it makes me feel like they think they can try and leech every cent out of me because of it. Im not rich, far from it I've had to earn every inch of that car.

On a better note I get home I find the SID i got offline for $40 shipped. I took a chance cuz I couldnt get a response to whether the pixels were fine or not. They are 100% there so its a win. Im happy and I have un-aligned tires again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
That indy sounds more like a gangster dealer to me. Most places that actually care what their customers think and who want their business again won't give them a bs story and will respect the customer's property.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
JK
Elder

I have been told my front brakes were shot when I was in for an allignment and I had just done them less than a month prior. I called the guy on it and he said...whoops, then I must have gotten your car mixed up with another....never went back there for allignments anymore!

Old 05-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
i hate shopd like that they should all burn!

i took mine to pepboys for alignment took it back twice already... they have yet to correct my pull to the right...
shit heads
Old 05-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
Yea, I took my car to Pep Boys right after I bought my SAAB to have inspected because I bought the car in a different state. They said I needed new brake pads, 3 DAYS after new ones were put on my car.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
yeah i think there are just some mechanics out there that spit the same line to everyone that comes in and hope that some bite into it. its a real shame.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
when i take my car to scanwest i tell them not to put the annoying little plastic mats in my car because i always have my rubber winter mats in and i hate having to find somewhere to through those big pieces of plastic/ paper shit away at... well whenever i pick it up there is always like 5 layers of those things on my floor at least its better then what they did to you.

if i was you i wouldnt go back to them... ever.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic
if i was you i wouldnt go back to them... ever.
Same here. I would also place a phone cal to the shop and ask to speak to the manager. If they are affiliated with a national chain (such as the indy shops that often are affiliated with Bumper to Bumper) I would get the contact information with them as well. Let them know why you won't be returning.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I work for a local "indy" shop, but we do much better work than those crap heads seem to. We were voted #1 repair shop in the Manchester, NH area by an independent survey last year which goes to show what doing the job right can do for you. The place is owned by four brothers who treat their customers right and don't rip people off by adding bogus stuff to the bill they don't need. In fact, if you come in and ask for an alignment, but you don't need it (after verifying on a road test and tire wear patterns) we call and ask if you really want it. It's not that hard to do the job right. I hate people like that who make the rest of us mechanics look stupid and greedy.

So you put those tie-rod ends on yourself? And tightened you tightened them down yourself? Don't see why they would have so much of a hard time taking them off. See if they are affiliated with a national chain, and then complain to them as they have a bit more leverage than one person.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to marky373
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvinr11
I work for a local "indy" shop, but we do much better work than those crap heads seem to.
Where are you guys at and how much for an alignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvinr11
So you put those tie-rod ends on yourself? And tightened you tightened them down yourself? Don't see why they would have so much of a hard time taking them off. See if they are affiliated with a national chain, and then complain to them as they have a bit more leverage than one person.
I replaced both outer tie-rod ends, I didn't have to unscrew the bolt that they screw into. Does that make sense to you? They couldn't move it, but I don't think they tried really hard.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
yeah its actually cheaper for me to go to scanwest with my car and get work done then it is to bring it into the dealership i work at. It really on paper doesnt make sence since labor discounted for me working at my dealership is $60/hour and at scanwest i think its up to $90/hour. But yet its always wayyyyy cheaper. AND i know they know way more about saabs. (we only have one saab mechanic at my work that i trust... he is the best mechanic ive ever seen!)

I also reccomend calling the manager and telling them about your events. Maybe they will give you a free allignment. Generally they are very good about solving problems. I got angry at scanwest about 2 weeks ago because the main guy i always talk to was having a bad day and being an ass to me (and hes always sooo nice! he always gives me a call like once a week to check on what i need for my car and see if im having problems) I talked to the owner Rob, he does everything to my car regarding the tranny and shifting, well he apologized like 10 times in one conversation, and told me he would take out my transmission for me and take it all apart and replace everything again if he had to, to make sure everything was fitted correctly. (i have to force the car into 1st and sometimes 3rd when downshifting)
Old 05-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky373
Where are you guys at and how much for an alignment?
The place I work for is Granite State Tire and Battery, on Hanover Street on the east side in Manchester. If you go 93 south, I think it's exit 6...not too sure but it's the exit for hanover st. (duh). I think an alignment goes for $60 for just the centerline (fronts only) to $80 for the full 4 wheel. I'm not exactly sure on that but I will check when I go in tomorrow. I only do the work, not the bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky373
I replaced both outer tie-rod ends, I didn't have to unscrew the bolt that they screw into. Does that make sense to you? They couldn't move it, but I don't think they tried really hard.
I think I get it. so you're saying the bolt behind the actual tie rod itself that you tighten to keep it from moving. That would make sense. At my shop we always spray them with PB Blaster before doing anything and usually they come free without much of a fuss. Those guys just sound LAZY. Doing an alignment is not a piece of cake, especially on saabs so they just didn't want to put the effort in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in