key stuck in ignition - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

key stuck in ignition

1997 900se talladega 5 speed

key is stuck in ignition it stops about half way between lock and off.

shifter is in reverse and the car will back up no problem. no reverse lights what so ever front or rear. all bulbs are good. car still turns on all power and starts but turning off the key stops before lock and will not come out.

is there some sort of reverse switch or sensor that tells when the shifter is in reverse to turn on reverse lights and allow the key to come out.?

i only got the one key and i need to get this thing out. and if theres anyway to keep it from happing again.

thankss
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
No reverse lights should be a the reverse switch on the trans
As far as the key not coming out... Could be a shifter misalignment issue. But if the shifter is aligned properly then the ignition lock cylinder may need to be lubed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
No reverse lights should be a the reverse switch on the trans
As far as the key not coming out... Could be a shifter misalignment issue. But if the shifter is aligned properly then the ignition lock cylinder may need to be lubed.
im not sure.. the car will still move in reverse so i dont thing theres any misallignment or anything.. its just weird because saturday everything worked fine i got the car home and key came right out and reverse lights did work and yesterday i went out and no lights and key was stuck... i was thinking mayb theres gotta be a switch or sumthing that ties them together.?
i could also be overthinking but i wanna get every possibility.

i should also get a new key made.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Elder

It's all mechanical - if you can't wiggle the shifter around enough to get it to turn to LOCK and get the key out you may have to start taking it apart to un-jam it.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

i had the problem of not being able to get my key out for awhile until i finally figured it out. so we all know the trans needs to be in reverse for the key to come out. if you pull the shifter cover off so you can see the linkage theres a plastic mechanism that is supposed to lock in so youre able to take the key out. in my case mine snapped off so i thought my key was stuck until i fixed the plastic mechanism. i can now take my key out of ignition with no problem even with the broken mechanism. all i have to do is put the shifter into reverse and once in reverse pull back firmly while turning the key at the same time. hope this is helpful
Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
sounds like linkage is misaligned.
Sounds like it's engaging reverse early, but not being where it needs to be to hit the reverse switch and the key lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in