95 900se vert .. what to look for.? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

95 900se vert .. what to look for.?

im goin tomarrow to look at a new car.
its a 1995 900SE vert. 2.0t vert supposedly stage 3 tuned 300hp.
im wondering if theres anything special or important i should keep an eye out for in particular to verts. or just in general.
any info will be greatly appreciated. if all goes well i will be bringing the car home tomarrow as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Elder

Make sure the top goes up and down smoothly at least a few times, the electric motor drive parts to fix the top and tonneau cover are expensive. Make sure the tonneau cover latches correctly over the stowed top.

The front suspension design is pretty compliant, it's common for them to track over bumps, but if it wanders or shimmies or shudders excessively it could need a fair bit of work to tighten it back up. The front lower control arms are expensive.

Hopefully it comes with remotes for the alarm, if the alarm is active and you lose a remote it's problematic to deal with.

Make sure all the lights and electrical accessories work, and the serpentine belt, timing and balance shaft chains, and bottom end of the engine are quiet when the engine is idling.

The turbo gage should boost smoothly and hold at the end of the yellow part of the gage.

Good luck.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post

Hopefully it comes with remotes for the alarm, if the alarm is active and you lose a remote it's problematic to deal with.

Good luck.
thanks.!! ill be sure to do my best scoping out the entire thing..
as for the alarm situation tho.. i know that on my other car (94 900SE 3 door) i dont have an actually fob with the lock/unlock buttons all i have is the key. when i put the key in to lock the door both doors lock and the first turn is just lock but if i turn the key completely to where it stays the alarm will activate. then i just put the key in and unlock doors will open and alarm is off with no problems. it was also the same on the 02 9-3se 5 door i had no fob but acted the same.
is a fob absolutely necessary.? ive never had one for any of the cars i had...

Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Elder

The NG900's can sometimes arm themselves, and if the microswitch in the door that turns the alarm off fails then there's no way to turn the alarm off.

Happens rarely, but happens, just good to be prepared.

Since you've had two already you should know what to look for.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
The NG900's can sometimes arm themselves, and if the microswitch in the door that turns the alarm off fails then there's no way to turn the alarm off.

Happens rarely, but happens, just good to be prepared.

Since you've had two already you should know what to look for.
sounds good ive just never had a vert so i wanted to make sure.
and if by some chance the alarm mite go haywire can i just remove the fuse for it and be on my way.? i recall doing that on mine once. i left the fuse out for a while then put a new one in and it worked again.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #6

Ditto on the suspension stuff that Drew mentioned.

The LCA design was changed in late 95/96, IIRC, to eliminate some of the floaty feeling. (The road-feel difference between a uncorrected 94 and an updated 96+ is night and day). With any luck, one of the previous owners did the upgrade already.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

As Drew said, check that top. If the tonneau cover chatters at all, you probably need a tonneau motor. $150 for a motor, $20 for a new kit, usually $100-$200 for someone with a Tech II to reset if you need that (careful update would avoid it). Probably $1000 at a dealer or indy, but really only what I listed. Use it to negotiate if it has that issue.

Check the top fabric closely for any tears or rips. A replacement used is lots of labor and new is $$$. ASk about leaks (the answer doesn't count, it will be "none" most of the time, it's the length of the pause before he says "no leaks").

Make sure the metal where the rear shocks attach at the top of the wheel arch is solid. They can rust through in your area. I'd poke hard with an awl around the rubber mount.

Ask what upgrades have been done to the suspension. The upgrade mentioned above would be nice, along with springs and Koni or Bilstein shocks.

A/C will be a little hard to test this time of year but do what you can.

As with all these cars, look for vibration under acceleration, up a hill, on the highway, 55 to 65 ish.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

so the 95 vert was complete garbage.
i just brought home a 1997 900SE Talladega. got a GREAT deal. beautiful car runs phenominally. only 150k. has a little shimmy seeming from the left front up till about 65-70 then goes away.
top works up and down.the hud beeps with check latches every so often though. the small rear window on the driver side has trouble going up you gotta help it up and tap the button a few times.
also the gas gauge does not work i was hoping i could find a fix for this.
there are no other major problems. all very miniscule stupid stuff easily fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in