Spark Plug Gapping - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
Spark Plug Gapping

Ok, I am changing my spark plugs and need to gap them to 0.9mm. I am waiting for the spark plugs from Genuinesaab.com, but I picked up the spark plug socket, spark plug gapper, and electroid grease today.

So I have 2 questions:

1.) What does it mean to "gap" the spark plugs, and what I am actually gapping. Also, how do i do it?

2.) Where and how much electroide grease should I put on? I am pretty sure that I just grease the connection between the DI cassette and the plugs, but I just need to know how much to put on.

Thanks!

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
JK
Elder

Grease between plugs and DI as you said, a little dab 'll do ya!

As far as what to gap, the very bottom of the plug (as it would sit in the cylinder head) has a an electrode and a little prong (sorry for lack of technical terms), you need to adjust the gap between those two things. It should look pretty obvious to you when you get the plugs.

And remember...NEVER overtighten spark plugs! Torque them to spec. or use the general rule of snuging them up, and then giving them a 1/4-1/2 turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK9000s
Grease between plugs and DI as you said, a little dab 'll do ya!

As far as what to gap, the very bottom of the plug (as it would sit in the cylinder head) has a an electrode and a little prong (sorry for lack of technical terms), you need to adjust the gap between those two things. It should look pretty obvious to you when you get the plugs.

And remember...NEVER overtighten spark plugs! Torque them to spec. or use the general rule of snuging them up, and then giving them a 1/4-1/2 turn.
Awesome, thanks! So basically, when gapping the plugs, I am gapping the space from the bottom of the spark plug to the cylinger head?

Old 04-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Elder

And how do i use the gapper? It's just the circular thing that looks like a quarter, a little biger tho, and has a hole in the middle, and numbers on the edge like a clock. I just don't see how to USE the gapper...I understand its purpose, I believe, but I don't see how if I am gapping the space underneath the spark plug. How I will get it back if the plug is on top of the gapper? lol

Someone please point me in the right direction
Old 04-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
JK
Elder

I think you are still confused...the gap has nothing to do with the cylinder head. The gap is the space that the spark jumps across.

^in this photo you can see the gap...it is littereally the gap between that tab thing and the electrode.

You adjust the gap with the hole in the middle of the gapping tool and you use the gauge on the rim of the tool to see that your gap is the correct size.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
JK
Elder

Another photo - see that part labeled "gap"

FYI, if you do a search on google you can find a lot of good info on spark plugs - how they work, how to instally them, etc!
Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
JK
Elder

Here's a great website...NGK's website actually

http://www.ngk.com/faqmain.asp

this is the FAQ page and if you go to the bottom of the page it has a link to a diagram about how to adjust your gap properly!

Dancing banana signing out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in