Fuel cut? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Fuel cut?

Hey guys so i just purchased a 1999 Saab 9-3 with 91k on it. Now the reason I am here is that the car drives fine but if i go WOT, when the "turbo" gauge hits the red zone i get a pretty good jerk and then the car goes back to normal and begins to accelerate again. I am very familiar with cars and working on them but this is the first car Ive owned/worked on with a turbo so a lot of this is new to me. I plan on doing a tune up this weekend and hopefully doing a BLT as well. Im mainly trying to diagnose if what is occurring is actually fuel cut or not as Ive never experienced it before but it sounds like it from what Ive read. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Clean the BPC valve with brake cleaner or laquer thinner. It's most likely your issue, what happens is old vacuum lines break, dirt gets in the system, clogs it up and causes issues.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanatic17 View Post
Clean the BPC valve with brake cleaner or laquer thinner. It's most likely your issue, what happens is old vacuum lines break, dirt gets in the system, clogs it up and causes issues.
you were right! i found this write up about the BPC, BPC / APC valve cleaning [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums followed the instructions and bypassed the valve, connecting line from turbo directly to wastegate and now I no longer get fuel cut and boost stays steady in middle of yellow. Thanks!

Edit- What exactly does this valve do that i bypassed? and there seems to be two versions of the BPC valve, will either work for my car?

Last edited by Viper588; 01-27-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

I don't know what the two different versions are but what it does is control how much the waste gate opens allowing more or less air into it, allowing your turbo to boost to max pressure without causing issues. Problem is being a Saab and their one thousand one electrical issues you will encounter, it started becoming more of a hassle later on. Make sure all your vacuum lines are good and not messed up and you might have to clean it two or three times to get all the junk out.

Saabs are a lot of fun and they get addicting just be prepared for some odd issues everyonce in a while, nothing usually to bad just odd. Should have been Saabs marking ad back in the day.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
It is part of the system that regulates the boost.

The 2 versions are probably for the 2 engine management versions. 99 9-3s that are not Viggens are T5 and backwards compatible with 94-98 900 with turbo, and the 99 Viggen are forwards compatible with 00-03 9-3s and 9-5s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-28-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Quote:
I don't know what the two different versions are but what it does is control how much the waste gate opens allowing more or less air into it, allowing your turbo to boost to max pressure without causing issues. Problem is being a Saab and their one thousand one electrical issues you will encounter, it started becoming more of a hassle later on. Make sure all your vacuum lines are good and not messed up and you might have to clean it two or three times to get all the junk out.

Saabs are a lot of fun and they get addicting just be prepared for some odd issues everyonce in a while, nothing usually to bad just odd. Should have been Saabs marking ad back in the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
It is part of the system that regulates the boost.

The 2 versions are probably for the 2 engine management versions. 99 9-3s that are not Viggens are T5 and backwards compatible with 94-98 900 with turbo, and the 99 Viggen are forwards compatible with 00-03 9-3s and 9-5s.
Thank you for the responses, before i order a new BPC Ive seen some info about people replaceing the BPC with an MBC in order to avoid this issue again. Is this an option/reccomended or should i stick with the stock set up? Thank you again for all the info!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

Before you order a new one try cleaning it a few times. Replace all your lines and run it for a bit, honestly some of the biggest issues can be fixed with just cleaning. I was going to replace mine on my 9000 a while back but I just replaced all my lines and cleaned it ever time it acted up after a few weeks the issue cleared up.

Make sure all your lines are good, I didn't bother to do that for the first couple times I cleaned it, and I found some major rot later. Which let's air and debris in causing it to clog.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
Elder

Used ones abound. If you live near a pick n pull they are also easy to smuggle out.
Quote:
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
SAABeginner

Quote:
Before you order a new one try cleaning it a few times. Replace all your lines and run it for a bit, honestly some of the biggest issues can be fixed with just cleaning. I was going to replace mine on my 9000 a while back but I just replaced all my lines and cleaned it ever time it acted up after a few weeks the issue cleared up.

Make sure all your lines are good, I didn't bother to do that for the first couple times I cleaned it, and I found some major rot later. Which let's air and debris in causing it to clog.
Quote:
Used ones abound. If you live near a pick n pull they are also easy to smuggle out.
I attempted to clean it a few times and it seemed to help a little bit but air is still passing into the wrong ports. I found a used one for $12 with shipping that comes with a warranty so i figure for $12 it pays to just buy a new one. Thanks for all the help so far! Ill update when the new BCS comes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #10
SAABeginner

Quote:
unfortunately the closest pick and pull is about 2 hours away
Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #11

12 bucks with a warranty isn't bad. Hopefully it solved the issue for you.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Saabinduction Send a message via MSN to Saabinduction Send a message via Yahoo to Saabinduction
Lucky cheap fix you had!

When I had my issue after buying the car from a dealer, it turned out to be the wastegate actuator.

Of course....I may or may not have decided that it was a good time to buy a forgemotorsport upgrade........That didn't help cost

2003 9-5 Aero manual
2003 9-5 Linear auto
2003 9-3 Arc 6-Speed
1999 9-3 Base manual (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabinduction View Post
Lucky cheap fix you had!

When I had my issue after buying the car from a dealer, it turned out to be the wastegate actuator.

Of course....I may or may not have decided that it was a good time to buy a forgemotorsport upgrade........That didn't help cost
Yeah =P im glad I was able to diagnose it so fast and the new part should be here tomorrow! This site has been really helpful already!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
SAABeginner

Ok so new unrelated issue, i needed some new bulbs for the instrument cluster because i was not able to see how fast i was going at night. I install the bulbs that rock auto has listed for the car, they were wagner somethings(i can get exact part number if needed). I installed the bulbs and reinstalled everything and non of the lights worked. I reinstalled the bad bulbs to see if that was the issue and sure enough the new bulbs are the wrong voltage -__- . i rearranged some bulbs so i am able to see the important things but does anyone know where i can get the correct bulbs? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #15
Elder

Time to make that 2 hour drive!!

I had the same issue, nothing above 90 was lighting up, so at a yard I smashed out a cluster in a na 900s and took all the bulbs.

My inbox is full but email me at [email protected] and I will put some random ones into a cushy pack and send them off to ya.
Quote:
Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #16
SAABeginner

Quote:
Time to make that 2 hour drive!!

I had the same issue, nothing above 90 was lighting up, so at a yard I smashed out a cluster in a na 900s and took all the bulbs.

My inbox is full but email me at [email protected] and I will put some random ones into a cushy pack and send them off to ya.
That would be awesome thanks! I also replaced the SID cable last night and got all the pixels back.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #17
SAABeginner

Quote:
12 bucks with a warranty isn't bad. Hopefully it solved the issue for you.
New BPC is installed and im no longer hitting fuel cut! Thanks for all the help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in