Ahh, nobody around VT does acid dipping... What are my options here?! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Ahh, nobody around VT does acid dipping... What are my options here?!

I am curious as to what my options are to refurb a fairly surface rusted 2.3 block that is going into my 900. Acid dipping is not something anyone here does however there is a process called "shake and bake" but it would require the block to be bored out and bigger pistons to go in ($700-1000 not including new parts). This is wayyy out of my budget, and I am really not too sure how great of an idea it is to simply put it together as the guy I picked up the block from said (greaf reputation, not sure if I am okay with it).

If I did go the bigger piston route, what would be some reliable options?

Thanks guys
Volvo802

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, I am trying to get it off the ground so likes are appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Elder

What are you trying to do exactly? The engine's good other than external corrosion?

If it's just external corrosion, you can get respirator, gloves, goggles etc. and dilute your own acid from the hardware store. That, with a wire wheel or brush cleans grease and rust nicely. Places like Lowes/Home Depot sell what they call "muriatic acid". You need to be careful with it though.

Shop Crown Gallon Muriatic Acid at Lowes.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Elder

You could also have it soda blasted, which won't damage any of the machined surfaces, and will rinse out of all the internal passages when it's hot tanked, then re-paint.

You may have to do paint stripper to get the rest of the paint off the block though, it's pretty heavy duty.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #4

Electrolysis, baby....

DIY hot tank - rust removal by electrolysis - The Garage Journal Board

But if the bores are pitted, you're going to need to have it bored...
Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Drew,
It is mostly outer but I believe there could be more than the eye can see on the inside as well. I wouldn't mind taking the approach, but i don't have a ventilation system or anything. It's a wee bit too cold to be Trying that outside.... I am trying to get all the rust off. It sat in a basement for appx 3+ years.

electrolysis sounds viable, however seeing how it's my parents garage (my apt doesn't have one) I don't know that confidence will be ensured walking out to a 55 gallon drum, electricity, chemicals and a lab coat hahaha.

What are my options as to pistons? Would I need new rings and rods? (I haven't built a block before).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #6

Find out exactly what's rusty. That will determine what you need to do.

If just the exterior is rusty, then follow the Drews and hit it with strippers (because hitting strippers with engines is illegal) and then take a wire wheel to it (or media blast it). Once you're happy with that, you can take it apart and have it hot tanked.

But if the cylinder walls are pitted, then you're going to need to have the block bored out. A good shop will measure the depth of the pitting before even starting the job so that you don't throw good money away on a bad block.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

I took a deeper look. I don't think the cylinder walls are pitted. Seems mostly surface rust everywhere. Moving parts are still pretty spiffy (could use a wash). Inside of the block (inside walls) have about the same amount of rust as the outside, which makes me assume the oil pathways are alsonthe same. I'm not sure how hard you have to manually push to move the cylinder in the sleeve by hand, but they didn't move whatsoever (full weight on opposing cylinder) to see of there was any build up between the pistons current location and cylinder wall that may need cleaning (hate for them to be seized).

No places around here hot dip anything... All are out of biz in VT thanks to the EPA.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

An acid dip is different from a hot tank, which uses caustic soda, IIRC....

Most machine shops should have them.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Awesome. Is soda shot fairly common? I hope that will be enough to clear the rust. Are Saab 2.3 blocks from the 9000 aluminum or cast iron?

Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo802 View Post
Awesome. Is soda shot fairly common? I hope that will be enough to clear the rust. Are Saab 2.3 blocks from the 9000 aluminum or cast iron?
Walk-in "retail" blasting services are usually expensive.

You can get DIY soda blasters from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Eastwood, etc. for ~$150 but you'll need a good compressor.

I don't think that baking soda would be aggressive enough to remove rust... but it's hard to guess without seeing pics.

Check out YouTube-- there are a bajillion videos of people refinishing stuff... find ones that look similar to your project.

The block is definitely not Aluminum!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Awesome. It seems just about everyone requires disassembling of the block in order to hot tank it. I found an awesome local guy (thanks to word of mouth) that does machining and hot tanking and has a bazillion parts available for Saabs alike. He wants me to take it apart before I bring it in. 50 bucks and I can bring in my block and parts and he will clean them up by hand, tank them, than I can have whoever soda blast it, and he will hot tank it again once it's been soda blasted (for that one $50). I can't seem to find any guides on taking apart a block (never done so before, maybe I should avoid it...?).

Old 01-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
Elder

if you do that be aware of the balance shaft bearings.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I meant to ask the other day...
Why would you acid dip, and not hot tank?
My machinist does it on every part I bring him.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

I have a good friend who is going to school and he's done a few tear downs and I will have every tool we will need. At this point I am interested in a sort of shopping list, bearings, gaskets, oil sump pump etc. I am trying to hunt one down atm, if anyone can point one out that would help a bit. A bit challenging without an actual computer to search quickly.
G96nt, I wanted to acid dip because it would potentially skip the disassembly step, or atleast get rid of 99% of labor in regards to clearing surface rust (time/$). Seemed like a time tested and proven method, but outdated it is.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
Elder

Bring it to an engine shop (VT Engine Service in Williston). They do some hot-weasel-piss dunk tank magic, and parts come out looking new.

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

If you want engine parts cleaned, bring them to an engine shop.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

I'll give em a call and see what they charge. l found one of those illusive stickys on here, for a proper parts list for the 2.3 swap jeh.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Or, RPM in Georgia. Nice guy, builds race motors for NASCAR. He hot-tanked my 9-5 head, extracted a broken exhaust stud, and helicoil'd a new stud into place for $80.

They'd probably dip the block, inspect, and hone for not much coin.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I agree with what has been said, just take it to your machinist and have them do the work. I did want to chime in on soda blasting: I found a local guy who will soda blast. He actually has a sweet setup where his blaster is in an enclosed trailer so he can go do commercial work (like buildings etc). He blasted the entire front end of a 1966 f100 we were working on and I can say indeed it will remove rust. Of course there are all sorts of soda abrasive to choose from, he has even used walnuts as the media.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in