Looking at a 900 with v6 for sale, option? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Looking at a 900 with v6 for sale, option?

So I'm in the market for another car, and I've come across a rather clean and well kept(what I can tell so far from the ad and the owners I talked to) 95 900 SE v6 hatch with manual trans, 140k, new tires, new exhaust, and some other recently done maintenance. I've read up a little on the v6 and from my understanding is that they aren't a bad engine just they have a common issue with the timing chain/belt slipping and ruining the entire engine? The car is about two hours away from me but for 1000 dollars it's one of the nicer ones(maintenance and clean) cars I've found in that price range.

So opinion? Things to look for? Other issues with the v6? Any signs the engine would be giving if it needs any major work done right away?
Thanks,
Tim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

It's not hard to find one with a turbo for just a little more money or the same/less if it needs a couple things is my take on it.

Also it barely makes more power than the 2.3 n/a and I'm guessing it's a bit heavier.

I guess a positive is iirc what I read on wiki the v6 SE had LSD as an option that wasn't available for the 2.0t so maybe check for that.

If your at all interested in tuning get a 2.0t the v6 isn't trionic.

I wonder what MPG they get. You can get 225 up stage 1 tune on the turbo models and still get 30mpg highway
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

On second thought I think it's traction control they had an option for, not limited slip

Old 12-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the info, I figured that there wouldn't be a whole lot of options tuning wise but I've never really been into doing anything mechanical wise except for maintenance. Just was trying to figure if they are horrible maintenance wise, like if having the bigger engine makes it harder to work on, parts anymore harder to come by/more expensive, etc...
Doesn't matter though just come across a 1994 900 2dr turbo with manual trans for 400 that needs a reverse gear so I'm just going to hop on that. It's way closer too.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

V6 is less reliable, less power, less parts available, and there's less knowledge about them.

Hold out for a turbo. More fun and the gurus are knee deep.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #6

Hey so I picked up my Saab today, but I think something is wrong with the turbo, in first and second gear if I don't go easy on the gas the whole car seems to just cut out, and also at higher rpms in first and second, like around 3 thousand it starts to make like clicking noise, and it's smoking really bad, from the turbo and exhaust. The engine is really smooth and the transmission feels great so I think I have a issue with the turbo. I stopped about 20 minutes down the road and just called a tow truck and had it hauled home. Didn't want to do anymore damage to whatever the problem maybe. I didn't noticed this on seeing the car Monday, most likely because it was raining pretty bad and didn't want to push it because the tires are baldish. Any suggestions on diagnosing the exact issue with it? Just pull the whole thing out i suppose? First time I've had any issues with a turbo on any Saab I've owned.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanatic17 View Post
Hey so I picked up my Saab today, but I think something is wrong with the turbo, in first and second gear if I don't go easy on the gas the whole car seems to just cut out, and also at higher rpms in first and second, like around 3 thousand it starts to make like clicking noise, and it's smoking really bad, from the turbo and exhaust. The engine is really smooth and the transmission feels great so I think I have a issue with the turbo. I stopped about 20 minutes down the road and just called a tow truck and had it hauled home. Didn't want to do anymore damage to whatever the problem maybe. I didn't noticed this on seeing the car Monday, most likely because it was raining pretty bad and didn't want to push it because the tires are baldish. Any suggestions on diagnosing the exact issue with it? Just pull the whole thing out i suppose? First time I've had any issues with a turbo on any Saab I've owned.
If you are referring to the v6 you were looking at at the beginning of this thread they do not have a turbo, if you got a different car, you'll need to tell us about it to help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #8

Nope found a 94 2dr turbo, do they have a Garrett t 25?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
yes, you can get good used ones for around 100. Not a bad diy, just a lot of stuff to unbolt, coolant to refill. You can't really mess it up as everything has its own specific place and won't go anywhere else. You can do it from underneath the car or out of the hood. If out of the hood you'll take the manifold out with the turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #10

Would a tdo4 work? I have on from my 9000 aero.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
gdc
SAAB Road Master

Yes ,but you will need this stuff
05.11.2005: Saab NG900 Turbo Upgrade - photo.platonoff.com

Oh, and it might have to be reclocked for it to work on a 900 but not 100% on that

Last edited by gdc; 12-31-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #12

Sweet, now I just need to decide what I want to do, doesn't look like much more work to just install my tdo4 on it.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
The 9000 and the 900 have different style compressor hosings but it can be made to work. You just can't use the transision casting from the 900, you need a 90 elbo and some this and thats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
The 9000 and the 900 have different style compressor hosings but it can be made to work. You just can't use the transision casting from the 900, you need a 90 elbo and some this and thats.
If I did decide to go the route would their be any performance gains? Would I need to have it tuned? I'm just debating if I want to take that route or just get a Garrett so I can get the car back and running on the road ASAP.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #15

Okay so I got to fixing a few little things on the car like broken vacuum lines, blown front motor mount, and the BPC valve was all messed up and not hooked up properly. As in it wasn't at all and the line from the waste gate was just feeding back into the turbo. The car it's self feels better, turbo seems to kick pretty good. But i still get some smoke, and I hear a clacking/clicking noise around 3 thousand rpm. Could this actually be major engine issue? Like rods or something? The cars issues right now are possibly still turbo, engine, and shifter linkage. Along with a list of general maintenance that needs done. Body wise it's flawless except for a small area of rust on the trunk lid. Would hate to abandon ship cause it's so clean exterior. Can someone point me in the right direction of what to look at next?
Thanks,
Tim.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #16

It's almost like the same kind of noise a cv joint makes when it goes bad. If I would help diagnosis I can make a video of the noise. I'm really hoping the engines not ruined. It only happens when it get into the 3000 rpm range in first and second or in neutral so I know it's not the transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in