No More Shift Up Light!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
No More Shift Up Light!!

So last night while reseating my ECU connector while trying to figure out this random mis problem, I decided to take care of that blasted Shift Up Light.

The wire to snip (at least on the ng900 and 99 9-3, I dont know if the T7 cars are different, but) is the blue wire with yellow stripe, which is Pin 55 on the ECU connector.

No more stupid light blinking on telling me to shift at 2000 rpm!

I bought the car, I make the decision of when to shift
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #2
JK
Elder

Good call! I hate those damn things - I've been lucky in that 4 or the 9 or so SAABs that I've owned were originally automagics that I converted to sticks - so they never had a damn light to begin with . All the rest, I would always be confused when that little orange light would flash on and distract me from driving...
Old 04-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
nice man-i saw on eric's website that there is a way to mess with some wires to make the shift up light come on whenever you want it to-5800, right before you shift

Old 04-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen nut
nice man-i saw on eric's website that there is a way to mess with some wires to make the shift up light come on whenever you want it to-5800, right before you shift
i have some similar plans for my shift light......

ive almost become oblivious to the thing.. and the CEL i've had for a year
Old 04-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen
i have some similar plans for my shift light......

ive almost become oblivious to the thing.. and the CEL i've had for a year
yea i dont notice the shift light that much, and the process to change it looks completely over my head.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
yeah that little light can be seriously annoying. Normally the first time someone gets into my car they say " your car tells you when to shift? " And im like "yeah it does but watch... " and i hit the gas and it goes away. I think its kind of amuseing. I figure if its telling me to shift im just not driving fast enough because if your on the gas hard it goes away. . . And it doesnt come on again...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
yeah, i dont know if everyones does it, but mine comes on when just rolling along at any constant engine speed above 1800rpm or something like that. if i hit the gas, it comes back on at 5800rpms. kinda nice that it comes on right near redline again, but its still annoying as all hell.

Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 04-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic
yeah that little light can be seriously annoying. Normally the first time someone gets into my car they say " your car tells you when to shift? " And im like "yeah it does but watch... " and i hit the gas and it goes away. I think its kind of amuseing. I figure if its telling me to shift im just not driving fast enough because if your on the gas hard it goes away. . . And it doesnt come on again...

i love how Kaylan fixes everytihng by 'hitting the gas' or 'drive faster if i want it to go away' lol
Old 04-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
i love how Kaylan fixes everytihng by 'hitting the gas' or 'drive faster if i want it to go away' lol
lol... it's the best mentality to have!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
couldnt have put it better myself.

my brothers whole motto is "if it doesnt go on right the first time, you probably didnt need it to begin with" and then he will rig up some ghetto system

and my dads is "Well obviously the swedish engineers put it there for a reason",

and then theres me
Old 04-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #11
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to telreranreoid
you know... not for nothing but there is an easier way to turn it off.... just take the light bulb out from behind. i did it on my old cluster, and when i take this dash apart to replace the fasten seatbelt thing that i lost, i'll take this one out too.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
yea except that it takes a lot longer to disasemble to whole dash then to just pull back the carpet and snip a wire.

SNipping the wire is much easier, and it wouldnt take all that long to put back wither, just splice it back together.

It took all of 15 minutes to do where taking the dash apart and putting it back together would be an affair
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by telreranreoid
you know... not for nothing but there is an easier way to turn it off.... just take the light bulb out from behind. i did it on my old cluster, and when i take this dash apart to replace the fasten seatbelt thing that i lost, i'll take this one out too.
very true...id be weary of cutting wires in my car
Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #14
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to telreranreoid
do it a few times. i can get my dash out in 15 mins now
Old 04-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
Quote:
Originally Posted by telreranreoid
do it a few times. i can get my dash out in 15 mins now
wana race??
HAHAHA

i know how you feel!!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #16
User
Elder

Yeah, I just took the bulb out of the one in my SPG... however, that takes all of 2 seconds because I can work easily right through the speaker hole lol...

One thing I need to do is get another fuel sender.... My gas light flickers non stop and annoys the shit outta me! lol....

Old 04-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingZACH
Yeah, I just took the bulb out of the one in my SPG... however, that takes all of 2 seconds because I can work easily right through the speaker hole lol...

One thing I need to do is get another fuel sender.... My gas light flickers non stop and annoys the shit outta me! lol....
i have a temp gauge that thinks its a second boost gauge now thats SUPER annoying. Good thing i know my cars never ever gotten hot on me before, just hope one of the fans doesnt brake or something
Old 04-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
User
Elder

lol... yeah, might be a good investment to get a water temp gauge (as in an autometer or something)... or just have yours fixed

Old 04-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
It honestly doesn't bother me. The bulb had either been removed or just didn't work in my '92 900S when I had it, but the light works in my new-to-me '01 9-3. I've owned other cars that had shift lights, though, so maybe I'm just desensitized to it.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I was suprised when my 99 Viggen didn't have the saab-standard shift up light. they must assume the buyers of them know how to use a stick...I also test drove a 97 900 Talladega which had the light and it annoyed the crap out of me. nice car, but the Viggen was better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in