1999 Viggen need help - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

1999 Viggen need help

So I recently found a 1999 Viggen for sell for That is one of the 2 silver ones from that year. The bad thing is it says it has a blown motor talked to the lady she said that she was told that it had weak piston Skirts. Im figuring if I get it I will have to replace the block maybe the head also. So my question is do I have to get a block from a Viggen or can I get one from a regulat 9-3? Or I know its a 2.3L would a motor out of a 9000 work also. As I do have an exta head for a 9000CS laying around. Also for a Viggan this age and with a bad motor would would be a good price range? Everything else on the car is great with just a couple of dings on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

IMO, you need to do some more research before you jump into a project like this. There are bunches of threads with information about b234 swaps and b234/b235 hybrids.

There’s no reason to assume that you’ll need a new head. And you probably won’t need a new block, either.

I wouldn’t start on a project like this without having at least $2000 available to fix the car.

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantinne View Post
IMO, you need to do some more research before you jump into a project like this. There are bunches of threads with information about b234 swaps and b234/b235 hybrids.

There’s no reason to assume that you’ll need a new head. And you probably won’t need a new block, either.

I wouldn’t start on a project like this without having at least $2000 available to fix the car.
When I buy it I will have the 2000.00 that I would need to start working on it. My main this is would I have to find a Viggen 2.3L block or could I use the block for a 9-3 or 900 2.3L block. Im not worried about the pistons or anything as Ill be upgrading them before it goes back into the car. I have seen the post about the B234 swaps and was looking at that just wasn't sure if there was mainly any diff in the Viggan that might come up during the swap. I know I don't want to do the hybrid swap for sure.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

My main worry about it since he's saying the motor is blown is that there would be damage to the block that would just be better to get a new block for it.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Elder

You can't use a 9-3 block, they are 2.0L engines.

Any 4-cylinder 9-5 block or a Viggen block is identical to what's in there. (PCV system mounting on 2004+ 9-5 blocks is a little different, but you just use the newer style 9-5 stuff). Pistons are the same too.

For a B234, those came in NON-TURBO NG900 4-cylinder cars, and 9000's. You need a 1994-1998 9000 block, the '91-'93 are different.

The 2.3 pistons from the non-turbo NG900 are different, and the blocks don't have the ports needed to supply the turbo with oil or water and may require some modification. Avoid.

You can use the 9000 pistons as they sit.

The NG900/9000 blocks can be swapped in, but you have to re-use all the old covers and mounting brackets off the Viggen engine you take out, along with the Viggen cylinder head and intake and exhaust manifolds.

As mentioned, look for threads here on B234 / B235 swaps or hybrids, all the details are there, and there is more involved in it.

The easiest thing to find will be a '99-'03 9-5 engine which will swap right in.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
You can't use a 9-3 block, they are 2.0L engines.

Any 4-cylinder 9-5 block or a Viggen block is identical to what's in there. (PCV system mounting on 2004+ 9-5 blocks is a little different, but you just use the newer style 9-5 stuff). Pistons are the same too.

For a B234, those came in NON-TURBO NG900 4-cylinder cars, and 9000's. You need a 1994-1998 9000 block, the '91-'93 are different.

The 2.3 pistons from the non-turbo NG900 are different, and the blocks don't have the ports needed to supply the turbo with oil or water and may require some modification. Avoid.

You can use the 9000 pistons as they sit.

The NG900/9000 blocks can be swapped in, but you have to re-use all the old covers and mounting brackets off the Viggen engine you take out, along with the Viggen cylinder head and intake and exhaust manifolds.

As mentioned, look for threads here on B234 / B235 swaps or hybrids, all the details are there, and there is more involved in it.

The easiest thing to find will be a '99-'03 9-5 engine which will swap right in.
Thank you very Much Drew that was completely whay I was looking for Ill look for a block from a 99-03 9-5 Im sure that shouldn't be to hard to find. Thank you for looking at this and answering.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Thank you also Dantinne. I juset knew that calling for a Viggen block even though its the same as the 9-5 would probably be priced higher because of what it is.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Be prepared -- finding a good 9-5 engine is not going to be as easy as you think.

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Elder

I know someone with a clean Monte Carlo Yellow Viggen 5-door, good engine, always maintained, great shape, who would maybe be interested in a trade for that 3-door you found. Send me a PM if that piques your interest.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Pm sent Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in