remove my hood insulation? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
remove my hood insulation?

I took my hood insulation out once last summer and I thought it was too loud, in a bad way. Valve noise and whatnot. But now, most of the clip holes are so big the clips do nothing. The result is a saggy liner that is no chaffing on a bunch of different spots in my engine. The metal part is leaving a silver mark on my tb cover too. Gah!!!!

So.... who says to remove it??? Somebody talk me into it.

Oh, and I know about the paint issue that people will warn of, but I know that's really no issue.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Elder

I say remove it... I did and i have no problems.. I like the increased engine/turbo noise and BOV.

No paint issue either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
Yea, i did mine last week.....do it, i cant really say how much louder it was because i took it out 2 minutes before i started up my car with stage 3 setup, so everything was a lot louder lol but yes, definately do it....i just ripped it off

Old 03-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
Elder

I've had mine out since August - no problems with paint or anything like that. Does increase engine sound, but I kinda like being able to hear the bypass valve and my intake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 03-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
Elder

I'll probably do it over the weekend. It really is bugging me now anyways. And since I'm going to the show it would probably make things look a lot better.

The one thing I might look into is to see if there is any dynamat type stuff that I can use. I've seen it on some cars where the insulation is form fitted right to the underside of the hood. Looks pretty clean.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I took that stuff off of my old car and regretted it as soon as I did it (fugly unpainted spot) and all that engine noise. You could probably try some new plastic "rivets" or make new holes in the insulation for them if you didn't want to totally remove it.

The only problem I see with dynamat is heat...especially if its so close to the valve cover.

Something like this is probably what you want...

www.summitracing.com

search part #s -
THE-14120

THE-14125

DEI-010412

Last edited by mcrowley; 03-21-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
take it out you can always put some other stick on insulation
i plan on getting some myself one day
Old 03-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
take it off! Ive had mine off for a couple of months now and like the louder engine noise. I do have that fucked up non-painted spot but my new hoods getting new paint anyways so it wont matter soon!

I want the underside of my hood to say "USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN WORKING AROUND A HOT TURBOCHARGER" Like kind of small but read able. that quotes actually out of one of our 9k repair books.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Elder

Good stuff at summit. The first two are good because they work against heat and noise. The last one is very thin, but just reflects heat. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I think now I will take out the insulation and I can always get some of this stuff to put in if I don't like it.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Elder

Mine doesnt have a primer spot.... in the middle of it

Old 03-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #11
Elder

^^^i dont think i do either, but i have a "G" on the middle of the hood
Old 03-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #12
Elder

griffen you have stage 3 now? How do you like it?

Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab93cse
griffen you have stage 3 now? How do you like it?
i will explain...ill start a new thread tho right now tho
Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Elder

yeah im gonna do it most likely and just throw in that silver reflective stuff to prevent the any possible paint damage

Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #15
Elder

yeah im gonna do it most likely and just throw in that silver reflective stuff to prevent the any possible paint damage

Old 03-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
I pulled mine off this past weekend - the BOV sounds much louder; I love it I also like the increased engine noise. I do however have to deal with the big bare spot in the center, but I have some gloss black auto paint I think Ill hit it real quick sometime this week if I get a day without wind.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I've had mine off for about 6 months now. No paint issues of any kind (except for a primerspot in the middle of the hood with some Swede's permanent marker handwriting on it) I found the volume of the engine and intake sound pleasantly louder, but not overly so.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:48 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
maybe i will try pulling mine off at some point. it sounds like the noise factor is better

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 03-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Yes, the noise factor kicks ass! My forge BOV sounds soooo much louder with that insulation gone

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
dude. i just heard that same thing like 30 seconds ago on aim..... you double posting biatch

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in