how do you get to the oil filter housing line bolts?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

how do you get to the oil filter housing line bolts??

Is it possible to do without pulling the whole right side brace? I'm following Saab Plantinoff directions on a engine removal, but I can't see how it is possible to get a 22mm wrench on these bolts.... Without removal of the passengers side brace deal. On platinoff's site it seems his is either out of the way or not present...

(Doing this in the garage at home, so trying to minimize the amount of stuff I am pulling apart)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, I am trying to get it off the ground so likes are appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Elder

You have a pic? The only oil "lines" go to and from the external oil cooler, and the place to disconnect that is at the o-ring seal on the engine side. Each line's tabs overlap one another and are held in place by one much smaller nut in the center. Remove that center nut and pull. All the other oil passages are internal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Elder

Take out the whole engine with the cooler attached. Then swap it all out. There is enough flex in the cooler lines that you can snake it out IIRC.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
You have a pic? The only oil "lines" go to and from the external oil cooler, and the place to disconnect that is at the o-ring seal on the engine side. Each line's tabs overlap one another and are held in place by one much smaller nut in the center. Remove that center nut and pull. All the other oil passages are internal.
depends on the year

i think he has the early style threaded hydraulic lines

it can be done in the car, but usually the lines are ceased so it makes it very difficult

OP what exactly are you trying to do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 10-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

This is what I am trying to disconnect (I guess maybe it is the "oil cooler" lines).

My year is a 1997 (2.0 T, 4door)
I am swapping in a 2.3 from another vehicle (picked up from nickturbo900) as this engine has blown.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

More specifically blown, here. Haha

(Let me know whether or not that video works, I tried doing it through photobucket)

Old 10-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Elder

Just replaced oil lines in a 99 9-3, nut is in between the two lines. Hit it with brake cleaner and see if the nut shows up. There also is a nut near oil filter. Lines on 9-5 maybe different.

If If they are threaded hoses, brake cleaner and pb blaster and see if the threads appear.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert

Last edited by oliversexpedition; 10-19-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Elder

Just remove the 13 mm-head bolts that hold the entire filter housing itself to the block. Reseal with Anaerobic.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Sounds good, thanks guys. Just have to remove the A/C compressor once I do that and I can pull the ECU harness wiring and pull the engine out (maybe another plug or two). Is it necessary to actually tap the axle on the passenger side off the shaft? (I am pulling it with the trans attached).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in