tire reccommendation - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Trollerator
Elder

tire reccommendation

My last tires lasted me about 4 months. on stage 1.

now stage3 is coming and so is spring and I need tires. I want good performance but not to pay out the arse for it. so i am looking at "ultra high performance" and not MAX performance...ALso because I want decent treadlife...

SUMMER tires, not allseason junk-I have winter tires.

Here are some that looked OK

BF goodrich GForce KDW2
Sumitumo HTRZ II
Yokohama AVS ES100
KUMHO Ecsta Supra 712
Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Sumitumo HTR Z
KUMHO Ecsta SPT

leaning towards the GFORCE KDW2, heard good thing by a few guys here.

anyone have suggestions/opinions or want to share any "that tire sucks" stories?

or is there something good I forgot to look at not on this list?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Dan
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Dan
if ya have the money, look into Nokian NRv or NRy. You might even be able to find a set of Zs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #3

Smart choices....The max performance ones are usually super sticky, so they're very soft rubber and have a short treadlife. If you use winter wheels and tires for part of the year, you should be able to extend your summer tires by several years....

If you have a Costco membership, the KDW2s are very reasonably priced....Much cheaper than Tire Rack or similar online retailers....

Old 03-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
the KDW are gonna be very loud, will give you some rattles and vibrations but are very grippy. Bill, goviggen, has these as well as I think Blue 9-3.

I have the Sumitomo HTR Z II and I really like em. in 17's I paid around $80 a tire. I have done some odd rotations, so I have two new ones and two originals after two summers. I should be good for another summer, so make what you want of that. They grip really well for me.

I hear the Goodyear f1 something's are really good. Mike, mg_td, has these.

My buddy with the supra has the Dunlops. He says they are good for the money, but he wishes he spent more to get something grippier.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

yeah the GForce and the HTRZ II right now are my finalilsts. i think the eagle you mentione Seth are MAX performance a bit costlier and will wear quicker.

right now I have two bald ass sumituomo HTR+ allseason and two of the same that look new.

Guess I did not rotate the tires enough, strange though since they were put on in May and lasted only till November of the same year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer
the KDW are gonna be very loud, will give you some rattles and vibrations but are very grippy. Bill, goviggen, has these as well as I think Blue 9-3.
Definitely agree about the noise. There's a definite hum at exactly 40 mph, but then it goes away. The KDW sidewalls are pretty responsive, so they'll transmit more road feel to the wheel. That's both good and bad. Your steering will feel much crisper, but you'll know exactly when you roll over a worm....

The grip is insane, though.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #7

The Yokos are pretty soft, too.....
Old 03-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
yeah the GForce and the HTRZ II right now are my finalilsts. i think the eagle you mentione Seth are MAX performance a bit costlier and will wear quicker.

right now I have two bald ass sumituomo HTR+ allseason and two of the same that look new.

Guess I did not rotate the tires enough, strange though since they were put on in May and lasted only till November of the same year.
Maybe it was a bad alignment? I had this problem and is partly why I only needed to new ones, not 4.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer
Maybe it was a bad alignment? I had this problem and is partly why I only needed to new ones, not 4.
mine are pretty evenly bald. just bald as hell. you'd think I had stage 8 the way they wore right down to the wear indicator in a few months.

Mike I am not worried about noise or comfort, the car is already nice and stiff and anything is quieter than the studded Hakka's I run in winter. sounds like the Gforce might be the top choice for a relatively cheap and grippy tire.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
Elder

I have only used KUMHO Ecsta Supra 712 on your list. And they have amazing traction, only they go rather quickly in the tread wear department. So they won't last that long. I now have Pirelli PNero Zero's on, and they suck in all fields, grip in snow/rain/dry, tread wear...Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
Trollerator
Elder

yeah the car came with pirelli p6000 M+S and i burned through those real quick even when the car was bone stock. I was not pleased with them. Then I got the saem but summer version and was not impressed, would spin the tires endlessly in the STOCK AUTOMATIC if it was even misting out and not even very wet.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The BFGs stick like glue wet or dry. Hottest tread pattern out there if you go for that sort of thing. There is the noise factor, but if you don't care, these are probably the tire for you.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #13
Elder

falkens are real good i use the azenis st 115 with the new quiet ride technology. quitest tire ive ever had...and i mean almost dead silent. They are real grippy wet and dry and have a pretty good treadwear rating (300 i belive)...you can usually get a set for about 300 shipped for 4.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Im leaning between the KDW's my self or the Bridgestone Potenza SO3 pole positions. I have heard good things about both..real hard decision haha.

From your list I would pick the KDW's
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 03-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Trollerator
Elder

yeah I wanted pole positions until I saw how expensive they are and they will probably not last me very long. realistically, I am not racing every day or anythng so I guess ultra high performance will do.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to SaabISH9_5
i love the falken ziex 512's i have. super dry traction and great in any weather.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:44 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to goviggen
Ok, This is only my impression but I would strongly suggest staying away from the BFG KDW II's... at first I thought these tires were awesome...
The wet and dry traction was VERY good... the noise was a little much at first but I got used to it.
Within a few months, the noise became MUCH louder... and as soon as the tires started to wear even a little bit... they lost most of the traction that I loved about them to begin with. After 12,000 miles the tires were all but useless... the dry traction was moderate at best, but the wet traction was equivelent to racing slicks... Honestly, when they had about 14,000 miles on them I tried driving to Saabtoberfeast in PA from NH. First I drive to Syracuse NY from NH to meet Ben and on that trip it rained moderately... I could not exceed 45 mph on the highway without literally drifting off the highway... It was miserable... by the time I met Ben in NY, I parked my car and rode with him because the car was a slippery waste of space with those tires. I bought new tires after that and will never look back... For the price and for how long the tires lasted functionally... they were USELESS... I would highly discourage purchasing them.
I don't think it was just my set of tires either, two other saab drivers in my area had them after me and both of them purchased different tires before 10K miles due to the terrible handling and noise. I just don't think they were worth it.... If you are going to buy a tire that lasts less than 10K miles, they better cost less than 80 bucks a tire./
Old 03-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #18
Elder

What tires did you switch to?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #19
Trollerator
Elder

WOW Thanks for that review Bill. i know what you mean about the wet hydroplane thing, on the way back from SIS last year I could not stay with Tweek and Shane my Pirelli were worn and i could go maybe 50 and start to feel the wheels break contact... scary

Maybe the HTR Z II, since they are pretty cheap

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-13-2006, 01:05 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to goviggen
Well for the Winter I went with the Nokian's which are great... they have been holding their tread very very well... Its time to take them off and get new summer tires... but considering how well the nokians are doing, and they don't feel like snow tires on dry roads, I'm in no rush... but of course its better to save the expensive nokians for winter use only...
so basically I too have to start looking for summer tires, but I haven't really started researching yet - more than likely I am going to go with cheap tires that I will replace often rather than try to get really good summer tires that I have to eak extra miles out of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in