Saab Link Forums banner

tire reccommendation

3K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  b dash rian 
#1 ·
My last tires lasted me about 4 months. on stage 1.

now stage3 is coming and so is spring and I need tires. I want good performance but not to pay out the arse for it. so i am looking at "ultra high performance" and not MAX performance...ALso because I want decent treadlife...

SUMMER tires, not allseason junk-I have winter tires.

Here are some that looked OK

BF goodrich GForce KDW2
Sumitumo HTRZ II
Yokohama AVS ES100
KUMHO Ecsta Supra 712
Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Sumitumo HTR Z
KUMHO Ecsta SPT

leaning towards the GFORCE KDW2, heard good thing by a few guys here.

anyone have suggestions/opinions or want to share any "that tire sucks" stories? :lol:

or is there something good I forgot to look at not on this list?

See less See more
#27 ·
I'm happy with my Toyo Proxes 4's. I heard good things about the Proxes T1-R's. I also like the Falken RT615's... I considered those, but I drive on the highway way too much for those to last. Too bad the Yokohama Parada Spec 2's are not available in 225/45/17.

#28 ·
Dan said:
if ya have the money, look into Nokian NRv or NRy. You might even be able to find a set of Zs
I'd have to second this! Nokian makes good summer tires - I got these after was using Kumho Ecsta 712's on my 9000 - the Nokians were far superior, wet or dry. I wonder why people don't go with them more often :-?

#32 ·
well I have studded Nokian Hakkas for winter, so i don't care about snow traction, i want a pure summer tire, no compromise all season nonsense.

I never thought of nokian for summer tires, I just associate the name with winter tires. if they make a reasonably price summer and not all season tire I might consider it. right now I am leaning towards Kumho or sumitumo cheap cheap Z rated...

seems if i am gonna run right thorugh them and i don't compete in track days it makes the most sense to get a cheap Z rated tire

#35 ·
#37 ·
I decided on sumitomo HTR Z II

I did the side by side comparision on tirerack and started to narrow down by price, first of all.... removed a few with really poor handling or traction wet or dry.... then I was left with two kinds of Kumhos and the HTRZII and a few others... the sumitomo looked like the best bang for the buck and had the better handling/traction rating. as for treadwear they should be cheap enough I am not going to sweat it, just be better about tire rotation this time. :oops:

#39 ·
well, we'll see. next time maybe the Kumho, I will try basically anything until I find something good.

if they last 15000 they will have lasted longer than the much much more expensive pirelli I had, which SUCKED and cost too much

#43 ·
ive heard bad shit about sumitomo...

i mentioned the falkens in lik ethe first page as i have the azenis st-115. great tire and i got a set of 4 for 300 shipped. One of the best street tires out there and euro car mag a while back had a test of like 30 tires and falken came in #2 behind somethin else and they cost a quarter of what the winning tire did...can beat a race bred tire imho

#46 ·
Tweek's Turbos said:
I'm just now getting to this post, since I have a set of the Sumitomo Htrzs on the car for the last 2 weeks.

Not a bad tire, and a fairly inexpensive price.
I had the htrz's on my car for 2 seasons and they were very good for the price...just they didn't last long at all. 15000 miles and they were beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.