My 900 SE turbo update... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
TSLMember

My 900 SE turbo update...

hello everyone, got my saab in order after 3 weeks of working on it... it has been a real pleasure working on this car. things Ive done; updated linkage, new tires/brakes/rotors, Viggen I/C with silicone plumbing (going to update the I/c agian, soon). retorqued the head, ordered cold air intake 20 minutes ago, got 3 coats of turtle wax on it, and going with a tune from mike d... here are some pics..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saab 009.jpg (277.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg saab 012.jpg (269.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg saab 014.jpg (283.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by marktwained; 10-04-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: forgot something
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Nice, have fun with the tune, you'll like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktwained View Post
it has been a real pleasure working on this car.
I've never heard anyone say this before. You are the first.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
TSLMember

lol

I've never heard anyone say this before. You are the first.[/QUOTE]

LOL the last thing I worked on before the Saab was an EMD 20V710 diesel engine with a 1100 pound clutch assembly so this was sorta a break... with the Saab, I have to say everything I have done (so far) has been without any major hiccups... ... the worst was not ordering a linkage stud to go with the new linkage... had to wait 3 days on a 10 dollar part and paid 30 dollars express shipping ... Im shure it will give me headaches down the road but I have to say it was a good start!

Last edited by marktwained; 10-04-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #4

LOL.....awesome update!....

I have a K&N panel filter that I don't use any more that would fit directly in that airbox...

I might have two or three decent Vikings if you're looking for spares....
Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
TSLMember

thanks

thanks Mike, I would hit you up on your offer, but someone has "modified" the intake and it no longer seals around the filter real well, and makes a low-pitch horrible air leak/vaccume sound... this is what they did;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saab 016.jpg (328.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
TSLMember

yup

I figured I would just put a cold air/ "cone" filter to eliminate the "upgrade"
and could someone tell me how to get the turbo to make that cool "pssst" sound when the dump valve activates?

Last edited by marktwained; 10-04-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
and could someone tell me how to get the turbo to make that cool "pssst" sound when the dump valve activates?
The sound is not for everyone, but if that's what you're going for, you'll need to get a BOV, "blow off valve" to replace the factory BPV "by-pass valve". Any BOV you buy should come with a blocking plug for the recirc hose that the BPV uses to recirculate the air to the intake.

There are lots of shapes and styles out there, some louder than others.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
TSLMember

huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
LOL.....awesome update!....

I have a K&N panel filter that I don't use any more that would fit directly in that airbox...

I might have two or three decent Vikings if you're looking for spares....
and whats a Viking? lol
Old 10-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
TSLMember

bov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
The sound is not for everyone, but if that's what you're going for, you'll need to get a BOV, "blow off valve" to replace the factory BPV "by-pass valve". Any BOV you buy should come with a blocking plug for the recirc hose that the BPV uses to recirculate the air to the intake.

There are lots of shapes and styles out there, some louder than others.
and I hate asking stupid questions, but do I have to do any ecu upgrades to have the blow off valve, or does it not have anything to do with the ecu?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
and I hate asking stupid questions, but do I have to do any ecu upgrades to have the blow off valve, or does it not have anything to do with the ecu?
Nothing to do with the ECU. Your car is T5 (trionic 5) and runs off a MAP sensor, as opposed to a MAF sensor (like T7).

Quote:
and whats a Viking? lol
Wheels
Old 10-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
Nothing to do with the ECU. Your car is T5 (trionic 5) and runs off a MAP sensor, as opposed to a MAF sensor (like T7).

Wheels
gotcha... thanks alot, I will be on the lookout for a BOV... seems the noise I have been blaming on the rigged intake could be the factory bypass valve apparently called the "Hooter Valve" lol... so if I could kill two birds with one stone, it would be nice!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #12

It looks as if someone did a version of the 3" cone mod for that airbox...It actually helps the breathing a bit, so maybe move that down the list of mods.

You can convert your existing bypass valve (recirculates excess boost back into the intake) to a blowoff valve (makes the psssshhht sound) with a couple of quick mods. Remove the hose that goes from the BPV to the intake elbow, and plug the hole in the intake elbow. Instant -- and cheap! -- BOV.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Elder

are you from the lakes region in nh?

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
TSLMember

no

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
are you from the lakes region in nh?
no, I live in Podunk KY... a thousand miles from anywhere... lol
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
It looks as if someone did a version of the 3" cone mod for that airbox...It actually helps the breathing a bit, so maybe move that down the list of mods.

You can convert your existing bypass valve (recirculates excess boost back into the intake) to a blowoff valve (makes the psssshhht sound) with a couple of quick mods. Remove the hose that goes from the BPV to the intake elbow, and plug the hole in the intake elbow. Instant -- and cheap! -- BOV.
cool deal, Mike... thanks and Id be interested in one of those panel filters if the upgrade is a good one, I just need to find two new clips that hold the front of my airbox together, the old ones are gone and I have a 1\2 inch gap in the seam of it on the front side... and the vikings are hidious... as soon as my tires wear out on the 16's im deff going with something easier on the eyes... lol might save them for winter tires/wheels
Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
TSLMember

im starting to think a previous owner of my car was going with a stage 3 saab, 3" exaust, modified airbox... wish I knew what (if any) tuning was done to the ECU... guess Ill find out from mike d...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
900 se, mike d, update

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in