Replacing E-brake lines - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Replacing E-brake lines

I'm going to replace the ebrake cable (the whole thing). The P.O. had cut it on the drivers side a bit before the hook.

I don't see the spring that attaches to the mechanism on the outside either.

I was wondering as the ebrake has not been used in what I'm assuming as a few years, what else should I pick up that is necessary to a complete job?

From my understanding there is a drum brake on the inside of the disk brakes, should I find some new shoes? If I need to replace the rear disks soon, would it be easier to just get it new together?

I'm trying to save money, but I would like to use all "new" peices.

I'm looking for a nice sharp ebrake in the end, you know, for spirited winter driving, lol.

Also a picture tutorial would help immensely. Platinoff didn't seem to have one. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, I am trying to get it off the ground so likes are appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The easiest way to remove the old cable is with a pair of bolt cutters. Will save you a lot of time and headaches. As for the actual emergency brake assembly I would remove the rotor and inspect the shoes and springs before dropping $50+ on a rebuild kit. Otherwise it's not too hard to replace the springs and pins with a little patience.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Some good info: https://www.saablink.net/forum/car-pr...only/17816.htm

Most of the parking brake hardware inside the drum can be refurbed with a wire wheel and some high temp grease. Parking brake pads typically last the life of the car unless something has failed.

Be-careful with using the parking brake for some quick turns, there is a bracket midway back in the trans tunnel that is held on with some small spot welds that holds the cables. It will rip off under force.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
The easiest way to remove the old cable is with a pair of bolt cutters. Will save you a lot of time and headaches. As for the actual emergency brake assembly I would remove the rotor and inspect the shoes and springs before dropping $50+ on a rebuild kit. Otherwise it's not too hard to replace the springs and pins with a little patience.
Sounds good. Ill actually likely pick up a rebuild kit for both sides, and keep it with me just in case (return it otherwise). Do you think there is a spring (the one on the outside that attaches to the little eyelet to keep it disengaged) will be in the kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Some good info: https://www.saablink.net/forum/car-pr...only/17816.htm

Most of the parking brake hardware inside the drum can be refurbed with a wire wheel and some high temp grease. Parking brake pads typically lasts ife of the car unless something has failed.

Be-careful with using the parking brake for some quick turns, there is a bracket midway back in the trans tunnel that is held on with some small spot welds that holds the cables. It will rip off under force.
Awesome, not sure how I missed that sticky! Too bad he didn't do it while his girlfriend was driving this car (bought it from Nick, btw hi Nick I know you're probably reading this, hehe) have a dremel set, so ill try and pick up some hi-temp grease too while I'm out. Would having said bracket welded on a bit more solid be worth it?

Hopefully a clean up will work, but I'm never too optimistic on VT cars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, I am trying to get it off the ground so likes are appreciated!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo802 View Post
Sounds good. Ill actually likely pick up a rebuild kit for both sides, and keep it with me just in case (return it otherwise). Do you think there is a spring (the one on the outside that attaches to the little eyelet to keep it disengaged) will be in the kit?
The kits cover both sides:

Saab Parking Brake Hardware Kit - eEuroparts.com 101K10048 - Free Shipping

Check around for the external parts. I'm sure they can be picked up somewhere if your concerned about them.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Unfortunately, the parts that normally seize up are not included in the kit.

Pad expander:
90495967 Genuine Saab - Parking Brake Cable Dust Seal - Free Shipping
90496947 Genuine Saab - Parking Brake Expander Shackle - Free Shipping
90111317 Genuine Saab - Parking Brake Expander Arm - Free Shipping
90075839 Genuine Saab - Parking Brake Expander Pin - Free Shipping

Pad adjuster:
90075042 Genuine Saab - Parking Brake Shoe Adjuster Screw - Free Shipping
90075044 Genuine Saab - Parking Brake Adjuster Shoe Sleeve - Free Shipping
90075043 Genuine Saab - Parking Brake Shoe Adjuster Screw - Free Shipping

My pad expander and adjuster were both seized along with my parking brake cables being fubared. Luckily I was able to take them apart, clean them up and reassemble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in