no start after wash - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

no start after wash

hey guys I have a 2000 9-3 se with a 2.0 turbo, 90,000 miles ran fine until I had the porters at work clean the car up (yes under hood as well) I know anything can happen but these guys clean our dealership cars all day/every day so this was nothing out of the ordinary for them..... well they could not get the car to re-start fuel pressure good 40+ psi I swapped the DI with my 9-5 aero close inspection of all connectors no signs of any water and no codes...i'm going to let the car sit over night to "dry" out....any other ideas? thanks for the help guys ......forgot to mention all fuses good, pulled the plugs yes old but the car was running fine a 1/2 hour prior nothing out of the ordinary as far as raw fuel did get a slight smell out of the tail pipe....not sure what else to check
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

When you say doesn't start, it just cranks and doesnt catch?

I'm betting it's not that water got somewhere, it's that they knocked something loose depending on how much scrubbing they did. Double check the main wiring harness & all connections, special attention to the DI, MAF, BPC, etc. Never know, may start after drying out. Could also be an unrelated issue like CPS that just happened to manifest at a weird time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

looked around I didn't see anything out of ordinary I was hoping to see a fault code develop... oh sorry yes she just cranks, I have my 2005 9-5 aero that I could try a few parts (like the DI)

Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
There's not much that would cause it to no-start.
I'd start with the crank sensor. check the connector up at the throttle body. It's the blue one. pull it apart, and make sure there's not water shorting it out. a bad CPS will cause the injectors to not spray, and it won't start.

Even with a bad/unplugged MAF, it'll start.

The DIC could cause a problem, but it's less-likely. you can usually listen after you turn off the car for the cleaning phase. if you hear that, I'd say you're alright.
Also, if one of the coils were bad, it'll usually start/idle fine, but driving doesn't work.
in bad cases, if a coil is bad, it'll start and run like crap... but will still run.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

They should have washed it while it was running.

Ditto on the CPS connector. I would disconnect all the harness connections one by one, spray with any water displacer, and reconnect....

It might run rough for a few minutes...
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

very cool thanks for the leads guys...where is the crank sensor located ? can I get to it from the top or bottom?...... went out to the car tues morning started right up all day long no problems go out to the car today again cranks no start no rain no moisture i'm guessing not related now...no codes, fuses good, good fuel pressure, swapped di's with my 9-5..... any ideas?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

If you're looking at the car from the top front, the crank position sensor is located on the front of the block, right side near the tranny, about 4 inches up from the oil pan. There's a black wire that links it to a connector on the right side of the engine, top, just behind the head.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

no start monday,tuesday starts run/drives like nothing happened, i had assumed it was wet, now dry working just fine..wed. again no start i did find water in that blue connector but nowhere else, cleaned and dried, still no start (just cranks) no rain or moisture in the air...so i'm not sure if it is related to getting the engine compartment wet....if it was a crank position sensor (or signal) you would think i should have a code since it is the main input to the pcm
Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

since there is no codes could a theft security issue be a problem?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

not seeing any voltage at the crank sensor/pcm connector
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #11

I have had two crank sensors fail and never saw a CEL. One failed a few times and would work when it cooled off - again, no CEL. The other one just straight crapped out, also, no CEL.

Is your fuel pump OK too? Do you hear it when you key ON?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
WSW
Elder

Ohm out the cps
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

I tried multiple combinations of the 3 wires for the crk sensor everything was zero ...so now I get the fun job of a crk sensor right?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
It's certainly one of the easiest things to replace. My advice...use a wire brush and brake cleaner to clean the rust and grossness from around the crank sensor before you remove it. That hole goes directly to the crankcase. You don't want that junk falling in.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
WSW
Elder

Ohm out the crank sensor itself and spray connectors with contact cleaner
Old 08-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

tried to ohm out sensor got all zero's in any combonation of the 3 wires spec is something like 540 ohms..... now i was trying this morning to get the sensor out and i'm a tech so i have decent patience but that thing was kicking my ass this morning
Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
WSW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabfan9 View Post
tried to ohm out sensor got all zero's in any combonation of the 3 wires spec is something like 540 ohms..... now i was trying this morning to get the sensor out and i'm a tech so i have decent patience but that thing was kicking my ass this morning
Bad cps then. Mine was shorted internally and read ol when I ohmed it.. Start spraying pb blaster at the Cps area.. Stupid t25/30 screw they used will probably strip
Old 08-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #18

CPS is a very easy job. Do yourself a favor and just order one, it will go bad eventually anyways.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Old 08-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW View Post
Bad cps then. Mine was shorted internally and read ol when I ohmed it.. Start spraying pb blaster at the Cps area.. Stupid t25/30 screw they used will probably strip
... yep i think thats the road i was heading down have to come at it again with different stuff (assortment of tools)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

If its your crank sensor you'll notice no tach bounce when cranking.. Like they said these fail regularly

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in