Swapping a V6 for a 4 cyl? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Swapping a V6 for a 4 cyl?

Anybody know if this is an easy swap? Or will I need to change trannys too?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
pretty sure the trannys will need to be swapped. What type of tran is in thier now. I want to say the V6 used the f28 5spd and the 4cyls used the F25...but I am not 100 percent sure.

Probably just have to change the engine wiring harness, and the ECU as well as getting all the engine mounts for the 4cyl and the accesories as well just to minimize hassle.

What are you scheming anyway?
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Twin turbo Saab? Mmmmm that would be pure sex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldSaabMan
pretty sure the trannys will need to be swapped. What type of tran is in thier now. I want to say the V6 used the f28 5spd and the 4cyls used the F25...but I am not 100 percent sure.

Probably just have to change the engine wiring harness, and the ECU as well as getting all the engine mounts for the 4cyl and the accesories as well just to minimize hassle.

What are you scheming anyway?
Dont both the F28 and F25 use standard GM FWD mounting though?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777
Twin turbo Saab? Mmmmm that would be pure sex.
LMAO - get real - not with the 2.5 or those 3.0 hunks of crap. The 2.8 is the ideal engine for twin turbo - especially since GM has everything you need to bolt on to build your own 9 second "race car." I have a GM performance book with ALL the options the GM engine line up's have for upgrade factory bolt ons. (ECOTECH MODS)

I wanna find a 9-5 with a blown engine and do a powertrain swap - same frame and mounts! (cept the upper)
for your repair needs
Old 02-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlach
Dont both the F28 and F25 use standard GM FWD mounting though?
hmm I think your right lol...I didnt really thiink of that when I typed it out. But I am sure gear ratios are probably differnt, or atleast the final drive ratio
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 02-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42
I wanna find a 9-5 with a blown engine and do a powertrain swap - same frame and mounts! (cept the upper)
A 9 second car...

with FWD...

Might was well replace the entire drivetrain and put a RWD IRS setup in it.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldSaabMan
hmm I think your right lol...I didnt really thiink of that when I typed it out. But I am sure gear ratios are probably differnt, or atleast the final drive ratio

You are probably right about that...

Tell us more about your plans tweek!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
A 9 second car...

with FWD...

Might was well replace the entire drivetrain and put a RWD IRS setup in it.
All bolt on shit from GM dude - that includes a mean limited slip for the transaxle unit - and serious slicks. The 4 banger ecotech was running 9.6's with all GM factory bolt on crap man - i am dead serious. (all internals stay the same - good up to about 800hp) so they say...
for your repair needs
Old 02-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
A 9 second car...

with FWD...

You mean like these FWD cars running close to it? http://www.nordictuning.com/main.php...port=m_gallery
Old 02-17-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
You mean like these FWD cars running close to it? http://www.nordictuning.com/main.php...port=m_gallery
It's physically possible but its a scary ride...

A FWD chassis just isnt set up for that...
Old 02-17-2006, 10:51 AM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Do you think it might be possible that he wants to set up a six cylinder and drive train to power all four wheels?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #13

Going straight and fast really isn't that much of an issue...

FWD is really only sketchy when you're heading into a corner fast, braking, turning, and accelerating out of it. FWD just asks a lot of the front wheels all at the same time and basically makes the driver work a lot harder. A really good driver can make a FWD equal or outperform a lot of RWD/AWD cars (Examples: various European touring car races; MTAERO on Saabnet is a driving instructor who often uses his 9000 Aero or Viggen at track events to show Porsche drivers how to really drive; Paul Kalinoski of Automotion in Billerica races his 9000 regularly in NEw England. Last year, he took second in his division, with first taken by a specially prepped BMW M3)

You need to brake slightly earlier to anticipate the turn-in point, then ensure you get the car settled before powering out of the corner. You can be a lot less precise with RWD because you can throttle steer, and sloppier still with AWD....

With FWD, a limited-slip differential helps ENORMOUSLY by limiting wheel spin by applying torque to the wheel with the most traction. It makes the car really track when existing corners.

If you want a quick demonstration, experiment with an accurate driving sim like GT4 or Forza Motorsport. The cars are programmed with the stock weight and handling characteristics.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

fwd is fine to go any speedyou want, just set it up correctly.
I have personally seen some fwd running low 10s in person at the strip. Its not hard with a good car and a good setup. BTW it was a civic that i saw at the track run this with boost over and over.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Actually a buddy at work and I was going to try and snag a 95 SE with bend valves so I assumed it was V6.

We were going to try and put in a used engine and re-sell it but they never called back. They only wanted like $700 for the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in