Would this be stupid? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
Would this be stupid?

I noticed on my way home from school yesterday that I had just ticked over 90k miles on the clock. I'm planning on doing a lot of performance upgrades in a month or so and was wondering how a stage 3 setup would impact my car. I know with additional torque that the transmission will go faster and my clutch may as well but what are the overall effects on the car? Could this actually lead to a longer lasting life of my car with better airflow and whatnot? So would it be stupid to mod a car with 90k miles? I plan on keeping it atleast though college (another 4 years)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Elder

stage 3 will pretty much not harm anhthing unless you beat the crap out of the car...just drive sensibly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen nut
I noticed on my way home from school yesterday that I had just ticked over 90k miles on the clock. I'm planning on doing a lot of performance upgrades in a month or so and was wondering how a stage 3 setup would impact my car. I know with additional torque that the transmission will go faster and my clutch may as well but what are the overall effects on the car? Could this actually lead to a longer lasting life of my car with better airflow and whatnot? So would it be stupid to mod a car with 90k miles? I plan on keeping it atleast though college (another 4 years)
I don't think you would be stupid at all as long as the car is sound with no issues uprading it won't necessarily cause major problems. Your driving style might but the mods won't be a problem on a 90K IMHO. I modified my NG900 with 155,000 on the clock to around 235+ BHP, it is now on 176,000 with no issues and still on the original clutch.
Here what I did to mine.
Link
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
90k is nothing... i started doing mods to my car at like 80k... now only 11k later im installing my 2nd new clutch and my first performance transmission... my engine almost blew up and had to replace a few other things... just dont drive hard unless you want things to fail... everything was my own fault... so if you know your going to drive hard then stage 3 would be a poor decision, unless your willing to do things similar to what im going through... my cardomain links in the signature.

-Kaylan Marie
Old 02-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Elder

I dunno, I definitely drive 'spiritly' but dont think I drive my car 'really hard'. I definately want to enjoy what I am getting out of a stage 3 setup tho...I generally give a good second or two between shifting gears. I plan on taking it to the track a little bit and having some 50mph roll 'races' on the highway with a couple buddies, but nothing too extreme like slamming every gear every day. When driving around every day, I will wind out the gears which I think is fine, but every now and then...one or twice a month, i drive pretty hard (wind out every gear, chirping them as i go up)
Old 02-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
Elder

i dont really drive HARD on my car... i shift pretty slowly... never slammed the gears... i was very careful about that since i knew the 9k trannys can get screwed up really bad with higher then stock power outputs... and when i bought it the tranny was already making a slight bearing noise.

Before you mod your car you think that you can handle not driving hard... but then once you get a stage 3 (not sure how much HP you get for your car on stage 3) and you realize what kind of cars you can rape when racing them you do it more and more and you want to feel that power... thats how it was for me anyways... and i liked to test how fast i could go 0 to 60 and how fast i could go from 30 to 110 in 3rd gear (AMAZING by the way) its an addiction!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
Elder

yea ur right...it will be hard to tone it down a little to save the life of my car. but since I am going through Jak Stoll for me ECU, many people dont think I will have that problem of having too much power haha

EDIT: Jak claims to get me around 270 bhp 1st time around, and then 280-290ish with a custom tune at Carlisile but cannot give me any solid #s because I'm the first HOT model he has worked on with the Td04

Last edited by griffen nut; 02-14-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I am going to turn 100k on my way home tonight. Car makes way more power than it ever did.

I too have the TD04 and have been talking with Jak about software... it'll be interesting what he has to say. Hopefully the new injectors will give more power and a smoother performing car than the SQR stage IV I have now.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
Elder

He's dying to get his hands on the HOT model file...any interest for you to do this soon? (before me) lol just kidding...it will be interesting what the actual numbers will be...he says he can get me the numbers above ^^^ with his 3'' DP, Saab Sport Catback, intake (using stokc injectors and IC) Granted the HOT model has the cross flow IC, it may seem like a stretch to get 280-290ish bhp.

EDIT: This is what he said...

the GT17 is a verry small turbo which runs out of steam pretty quick so I expect high torque #s with relativeley low HP #s mabey 210-220WHP
you might if you can think about coming down here
Ill bet I can make close to 300HP with your car
the TD0415T5cm on your car we could have allot of fun with
I use my tech2 to listen for knock using the DI & use a wideband ofcourse for the fueling the HOT stage3 should be pissed off if we end up going long distance Ill load the stage 3 file I did onto your car which I know will do great & you can dyno it & if I need to work on it a bit Ill give you a couple of reburns to get more power if we need to
I actually would like to study the T7 HOT file I learned to tune T7 by comparing a 9-5 LPT file to a viggen file & found where saab made the power
give me a call when you can
take care
JAK

Last edited by griffen nut; 02-14-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #10

I have an MP intercooler, the TD04, JSP 3" DP, saabsport, intake yadda, yadda, yadda. He wants me to go to the 65# injectors to help keep up with fueling. He says I'd be in the area of 250 at the wheels with that set up, but that was a couple of months ago when I talked to him. What's more key to me than power (which I have with the SQR) is smoothness and consistency (which I do not have with the SQR). I am looking at doing this in April and then m-a-y-b-e getting to Carlisle for a day to have him tweak it. Big maybe on that though.

You're a T7 and I'm a T5... didn't see that before.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #11

Not to piss in anyone's cornflakes about this, but any and all power upgrades will result in a shorter lifespan for your engine and transmission. That's just fact, plain and simple.

It doesn't matter which tuner you use....all major power modifications will cause more drivetrain stress and wear, not less. (If anyone is telling you otherwise, think long and hard about what they're saying, then run in the opposite direction.)

The issue is whether you're willing to accept the shortened lifespan of both the engine and turbocharger and more frequent replacement of some items like clutch and pressure plate, brakes, etc....

By shortened lifespan, understand that it's not going to blow up tomorrow or next year. It just won't enter the ranks of the 800,000-mile club...or the 400,000 mile club.

There are loads of folks with 100,000 miles after upgrades and the engines are still going strong. They might have to replace a gearbox or three, but by and large, they're ok....
Old 02-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
Cant agree with you more mike.
but if you are going to be doing a lot of upgrades just be prepared to do the normal repairs a lot more frequent…
Old 02-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen
Cant agree with you more mike.
but if you are going to be doing a lot of upgrades just be prepared to do the normal repairs a lot more frequent…
Ditto. I fully expect that these mods I have made will cut the car's life in half. Which ought to be with regular maintenance about 200,000 miles, God willing. And I'm okay with that.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #14
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to slabr900
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37
stage 3 will pretty much not harm anhthing unless you beat the crap out of the car...just drive sensibly
Good luck with that.... Just wait until your racing someone and your neck and neck. You'll definitely not be able to resist slamming it in 3rd from 2nd
Old 02-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #15

best... avatar... ever...
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLÜE 9-3se
best... avatar... ever...
that is very very true
Old 02-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
Elder

haha im always afraid people at work are going to just see boobs bouncing on my screen all day!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I had 133k on my CSE with some minor stuff done and it was fine. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade your car since its a whole lot newer that my old car was, but I will echo what Mike said way up the page. I don't expect my 95 Aero to last till 500k or whatever high # miles without some serious $ invested in busted and worn parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cpenning623
If you wanna keep the car through college......i wouldnt start modding it like crazy....are you gonna drive home alot?

I make the drive between philly and here alot and it racks up the miles.....

but, if you ahve all that hardware, then why not. I have stg three hardware,but i think my car runs worse then it did with stock software, so it might be good to compensate for all that messed up airflow.

that is a nice rack....i agree, good avatar
Old 02-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #20
Elder

I have stg three hardware,but i think my car runs worse then it did with stock software, so it might be good to compensate for all that messed up airflow.

What? are you saying that your car ran better before you urgraded software?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in