Dropped valve, T7 cylinder head. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Dropped valve, T7 cylinder head.

So I was speaking with some people and heard some rumors of dropped valves, as well as pitting on the exhaust valves and seats. Well I semi-recently dropped a valve, and have witnessed three instances. Two on early 9-5's, and one on a Viggen. This is all out of a 9-5, the picture quality is terrible as it is from my ipod. But there are pictures of the combustion chamber (practicing porting that is why there is metal shavings). Piston that the valve contacted, the stem and head of the valve that broke and any other affected parts.

Pitting on the valve face (exhaust only, all of them not only in the cylinder that the valve let go in).

Combustion chamber:

Just wanted to show some proof, for any doubters. I have seen three instances since working at the dealer, and experienced one personally. At 100,000~ miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Holy crap!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Holy crap!
I said a lot more than that at the time of all instances haha.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #4

Wow...

That looks like a teensy grenade went off in there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Wow...

That looks like a teensy grenade went off in there.
Haha yeah, I removed all the spark plugs and looked down into that cylinder... I saw part of the valve lying in the cylinder and a hole in the piston and was stunned. It was especially quite for all the damage it caused... I have always heard rumors before I started getting into t7 cars, but never saw proof. Just wanted to show everyone. I am more curious as to why it failed.. Maybe a bad batch of valves..? Always has been an exhaust valve I have seen. All the other exhaust valves had pitting on them as well as their valve seats in the combustion chambers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in