oil recommendation - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
oil recommendation

Hey guys, im really thinking about switching my oil from regular to full synthetic.
I just got the nordic stage 3 and i know that im gonna be beating on my car more this year

Would you guys recommend the switch?
How often would you change the oil?

I'll prolly be using mobil1 10-30.
Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
mobil one is some good stuff.

I know people are going to yell at me, but I once waited 8000 miles to do an oil change...things were hectic...anyway I was down barely half a quart...which is way in spec, and the oil didn't look very dirty at all.

2 months ago I dropped the pan when I had the subframe off, there was so sludge whatsoever and the pickup screen was free of any crap. I have been using mobil one ever since I got the car at 66k miles. It now has 96 its good stuff!
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Elder

i switched to mobil 1 when i got stage 4...its good. I go 3-5k miles while im at school but home ove rthe summer its a strict 3k. Couple tiny leaks showed up tho because the synthetic causes the gaskets to swell...nothing major tho...

some of my high hp buddys went back to a semi synth blend...not sure as to the reasoning tho...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Trollerator
Elder

I always get the full synthetic every 3000-3500K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
up until now, i have driven 20k miles and used mobil 1 every 2-4k miles (depends on driving styles, condition, all that jazz.) if i make it mostly highway, i'll let it go up more towards 4k, but usually right around 3k is good.

I am going to buy a case of amsoil european special blend (or whatever its called) 5w-40. its apparantly really good stuff and i want to run it a few times through. i had the pan dropped at about 70k miles and it was clean as clean can be. i am not too worried about having a sludged up engine anymore.

i would definitely reccommend full synthetic oil just for its benefits, even if its not required by an auto manufacturer. the extra 10-15 bucks per oil change is well worth it.

Nick

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 02-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Paul at Automotion told me he's had problems with CEL's in cars running Mobil 1 and suggested I use Kendall or Castrol full syn or something similar. I usually change mine every 3-4 months since it takes me about that long to rack up 3000 miles.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Not to hijack a thread, but any thoughts on switching over a NG900 with 96k on it now?

Ive had it since 60k and havent had any issues - at the time there was huge debate about switching over and I chose to stick with what I knew.

-Coop

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
thanks for the reply guys,
I have about 107k now, but close to 65k on the engine.
How would you guys suggest doing the swap?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
Editor
Elder

I just recently made the switch, about the gasket and seals comment, I've also heard since it's a thinner consistently they can swell and you can see some leakage on the block... however, I JUST did a head re-torque, and I can confidently say I have ZERO oil on my block since I changed the oil. I've run a synthetic blend since I've owned the car, and it was the same with the previous owner. I have 132 on the clock. From what I've been told, it can't HURT anything, but since it's this far gone, the effects of life longevity won't be AS noticeable just because we're already getting down the road a little bit... anyway, maybe it's in my head, but it feels like things are lubricated better with the stuff... doesn't Saab recommend synthetic in the turbo'd cars?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Editor
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777
Not to hijack a thread, but any thoughts on switching over a NG900 with 96k on it now?

Ive had it since 60k and havent had any issues - at the time there was huge debate about switching over and I chose to stick with what I knew.

-Coop
It couldn't hurt. If you see some residual oil on the block though, don't worry. Just make sure your level isn't dropping and you should be fine.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
get post on that mr. unkept!
knowledge for the brain...
you all have a lot of miles on them cars.. not that its bad.. but man i hate putting miles on mine...60k right now and i hate it...

and and Trex i hate you for the ECU upgrade!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #12
JK
Elder

I always start using it in my cars right off the bat regardless of mileage or oiul used by previous owners. Don't know what the others owners of my 1995 Aero had been using, but I have only put M1 5w-40 or 0w-40 in it and it runs great and at 3000 miles oil actually looks like what brand new non-synthetic looks like. Just a VERY light amber and my car has done over 190k miles! Last time I had the valve cover off it looked better than most 100k cars I have seen (I am guessing that the car has seen full synth most of its life).

I have had some issues with oil seepage after switching on some of my past cars, but it really seems like a small price to pay for an oil that I swear has gotten me better MPG and smoother idling motors in evey car that I've made the switch on.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to spgdude
I use castrol syntec in my 95' aero, previous owner used a synthetic not sure what kind but no leaks. My 93' cse has had amsoil synthetic since 70k, now at nearly 300k with no oil seal leaks. Never had any bad experiences and the consensus seems to be that its better than non-synthetic so I figure why not.
09' 9-5 SportCombi 5mt Stg1
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
Editor
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen
get post on that mr. unkept!
knowledge for the brain...
you all have a lot of miles on them cars.. not that its bad.. but man i hate putting miles on mine...60k right now and i hate it...

and and Trex i hate you for the ECU upgrade!
???

It's just a car, man! It took me a long time to accept that fact, but it is just a car... I love 'em, you love 'em. Saabs are sweet, but it's meant to be driven.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
?? yu atlking bout the milage part??
yeah true but im OCD.. haha no im not but well probably am...
its like a pet peve wiff mee...
Old 02-08-2006, 04:21 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen
?? yu atlking bout the milage part??
yeah true but im OCD.. haha no im not but well probably am...
its like a pet peve wiff mee...
I don't think you're the only one who hates seeing the mileage tick away...I turned 50k about three weeks ago and I cringed when the digits rolled over in the odometer...oh well.

Quote:
at 3000 miles oil actually looks like what brand new non-synthetic looks like. Just a VERY light amber
Same thing with my car. The synthetic just doesn't seem to get quite as dirty looking despite its better lubrication and detergent qualities.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to marky373
Ive heard pretty good about royal purple, and have been using it for the last 2 years ~20,000 miles. I have yet to hear anything bad about it.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:31 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
i dont mind seeing the milage pile on...I actually like it...just because I like seing my car being used, and performing great...and seeing the shock in peoples face, when i tell them how many miles I have...and all the shit I keep doing to it. And how it keeps working so well
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 02-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to saab by goran Send a message via MSN to saab by goran
one off best oil
http://www.redlineoil.com/

SAAB By Goran ( Maptun stage 6 )
Old 02-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

i swithced mine over at 93k from whatever the previous owner was using.(assume saab oil) to mobil one, so probably not a switch at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in