rev limit or torque limiter on auto t7 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Trollerator
Elder

rev limit or torque limiter on auto t7

in my automatic 9-3 SE with stage 1:

sometimes when I have TCS off and even sometimes with it on, if I jam on the gas at a low speed (under 30) and the tranny kicks down really hard the car revs really high and it makes a loud "click" and the revs drop and then come flying back up again and the car goes like mad.... sometimes it seems like it is "bouncing" off this "limit" and makes smaller little clicks as it stuttuers before taking off. click click click....

is this normal, anyone with a tuned autobox?

is it the rev-limiter or the autotranny's torque limiter? it happens more often with slippery conditions with TCS off so I know it is not the TCS stepping in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Last edited by abdukted1456; 01-18-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
My car with its upgrades is not as powerfull as yours but it does the same thing as yours exactly. It didnt start until I added the 3" DP, FMIC to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Trollerator
Elder

hmmmmm... I wonder what this is? If I keep TCS on the likely hood of this occurring is much lower so I bet is has something to do with too much wheel spin making the revs go too high too quick????

the tuners claim to limit auto tranny torque in the SW but I have not yet gotten an answer on exactly how this is done. if they can make the torque "stop" or decrease temporarily if it senses too much... or they just write a program that theoretically should not make to much torque?

So Steve this happens how often? And do you think it is anything wrong with the tranny hardware wise or a reason to be concerned?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
The T7 Auto has a built in Torque limiter in stock form but its harder to hit it. Through the main programing they can limit the boost rise to the motor and the power transfer to the wheels pretty easily. Case in point is everyone I know that has a nordic ECU says the power comes on over a longer curve rather than that snap your head back full boost power of some of the other chips. You may be able to discuss this with Maptun and see what they say about it and if there is anyway to change it.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

When I get stage 3 or 4 I will be sure to mention it. For now I just leave TCS on and it does not happen hardly at all.

tis the season for TCS anyways. damn ice

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
in my automatic 9-3 SE with stage 1:

sometimes when I have TCS off and even sometimes with it on, if I jam on the gas at a low speed (under 30) and the tranny kicks down really hard the car revs really high and it makes a loud "click" and the revs drop and then come flying back up again and the car goes like mad.... sometimes it seems like it is "bouncing" off this "limit" and makes smaller little clicks as it stuttuers before taking off. click click click....

is this normal, anyone with a tuned autobox?

is it the rev-limiter or the autotranny's torque limiter? it happens more often with slippery conditions with TCS off so I know it is not the TCS stepping in.
Yea that happens to me too... the RPMs just jump. So i guess it normal?

Old 01-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

what u feel is actually the throttle and timing being adjusted , if u have an a/f gauge u should see it bounce really oddly and the cars tcs is off when this happens, this happened to me allllll the time... it was weird it actually feels like someone is closing hte throttle on me, and like a lose of power instantly and then power gained the next instant,
Old 01-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Most likely, I would think the torque is limited by the boost programming. The tuners have the freedom to change the boost at something like 200 rpm intervals throughout the rev range and in the individual gears. The program is probably set-up to a max boost limit in certain gears, just like the manual cars are limited in stock form in 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
JK
Elder

Even with the TCS off, I believe that T7 still "reserves the right" to adjust the throttle. These are drive by wire cars and that electronic throttle does quite a bit - traction control, keeps the car idling, anticipates acceleration to reduce turbo lag, etc. I really wouldn't be suprised if T7 knows when you are about to hit the rev limiter and manipulates the throttle to keep that from actually happening. At least that is my bet for what's going on.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:05 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

exactly jk
Old 01-19-2006, 05:44 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Yea you crazy automagic people and especially the ones with T7

I remember Rico telling me a story of when he was at the drag strip, he was trying to launch by building boost with the brake, but all of a sudden the Revs just dropped on him as T7 shut the throttle on him.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 01-19-2006, 05:46 AM   #12
Trollerator
Elder

yeah t7 sure like to play tricks.

but it is a great management system anyways even though at times it can be a pain in the ass.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-19-2006, 06:20 AM   #13
Elder

very true...I just have to bust your guys balls
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 01-19-2006, 06:26 AM   #14
Trollerator
Elder

I know I am missing out on some of the torque and all that, and you guys like to shift constantly... but I am pretty pleased with how hard the autobox can pull when tuned, I can't wait for stage 4.

I was gonna trade my car for a manual at one point but i have put too much into it to turn back now. and still only 39K miles it is like new.

the only thing that really sucks is like the time I tried to race mg-td and it did this "limit" thing I describe and totally made a loud "snap" and cut the throttle out for like a good 1-2 seconds before it came back and by then I was toasted. not like I can REALLY mess with a slightly tuned viggen's torque, BUT....

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #15
Elder

but its fun to try and your car does look fucking amazig if i do say so myself
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 01-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #16
Trollerator
Elder

thanks dude.

I know I can never be as fast as you crazy shifting guys but i can try my best to look like a turbo playboy.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
thanks dude.

I know I can never be as fast as you crazy shifting guys but i can try my best to look like a turbo playboy.

Bah Humbug!!! You canbe faster than most of the shifting peeps with the right tuning!!! I had an Automatic Saturn SC2 that on a custom turbo setup ran 13.45 @ 106MPH so I do want to hear your auto is weaker!! Your car is capable of steady and predictable torque and power (for the most part barring the T7 is being nice).

I think once you get to the stage 3 or so you will be eating Viggens for lunch (except for tuned Vig's).

Old 01-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #18
Trollerator
Elder

Here is what I am looking at for possible upgrades hopefully I can save up for at least stage 3 by summer time we will see!

Maptun stage 3: 270 HP / 273 ft-lbs
Nordic Stage 3: 270 HP / 273 ft-lbs

maptun stage 4: 280 HP / 295 ft-lbs
Nordic stage 4: 293 HP / 300 ft-lbs

stage 4 is maybe too close to the limit of the tranny but it is too tempting. maybe I should shoot for stage 3 and then go stage 4 when I start to get "used to it"

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
JK
Elder

skip stage 3! Got to 4 all the way, just be easy on the kickdowns - that jost is what seems to do the most damage to autos!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #20
Elder

From what i hear Nordic is easier on the power delivery and thus better for not dropping 300#'s of Torque on your car all in one shot so I would probably go that route if your ready to switch vendors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in