Brakes!?! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 04:20 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to Tomoose
Brakes!?!

What are (in your opinion) the best break pads for a stock 9-3 setup. (I have a 2002 9-3 SE). And where do you get them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

I have heard good things about Hawk?

I will be in the market for some new pads soon for my rears, so I am also curious to hear people's opinions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-04-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
I have heard good things (and bad lol) about EBC green stuffs. Also Hawk makes a good pad ferodo and pagid fast road pad, are others I have heard good things about as well
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP

Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Trollerator
Elder

sorry if this is too far off topic but while we are talking brakes....

how do you know if you need new rotors+pads or just pads?

my fronts got done at about 33K pads and rotors and I suspect the rears are due soon. not sure if I really needed rotors or if the mechanic wanted to sell parts. they claimed they were slightly warped or some crap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Send a message via ICQ to Alex Send a message via AIM to Alex Send a message via MSN to Alex Send a message via Yahoo to Alex Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I put some Pagids from thesaabsite in the rear of my '02 about a month ago and have been pleased with them. That's with Zimmerman cross drilled rotors. I just ordered some PBR/Axxis metal/master front pads from eEuroparts but it will probably be a week or two before I put them on.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Send a message via ICQ to Alex Send a message via AIM to Alex Send a message via MSN to Alex Send a message via Yahoo to Alex Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456

my fronts got done at about 33K pads and rotors and I suspect the rears are due soon. not sure if I really needed rotors or if the mechanic wanted to sell parts. they claimed they were slightly warped or some crap.

Sounds fishy to me but I'm no expert. If you don't have any grooves you can have the thickness of the rotor checked with a dial caliper. If they are heavly grooved you could probably have them turned.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:09 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:

Rotors don't Warp...pad material actually transfers and creates the vibration.

here is a good article on brakes...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...akedisk.shtml#
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 01-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
Trollerator
Elder

so how often shoudl rotors be changed? not with every pad change? average mileage they ought to last?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
SAABeginner

Quote:
so how often shoudl rotors be changed? not with every pad change? average mileage they ought to last?

I've had cars I've kept for a few years and never had to change the rotors. I just had them turned a couple of times. Average mileage would depend on your stopping style and the type of pads you use. I'm not sure what that would be. Of course if you let the pad get too low and grind your rotors then they would need to be changed. Not like that's every happend to me or anything.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I just ordered EBC Greens for my fronts. I will be putting these in with new slotted rotors. I just was looking for pads that would be the most resistant to fade. The car is pretty loud anyways, and I clean my wheels every other day, so performance was top priority for me.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

EBC Greenstuff has my vote. And Zimmerman (German) is a higher quality item the Brembo for disks. Plus some Brembo's are made in Mexico not Italy.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
Elder

really depends on how you drive and how you treat them, the quality of the rotor, and what type of pad you use.

Even if you drive hard, you can still make them last, the key is not to hold your foot on the brake after a real hard stop, this causes a transfer of pad material...Have you ever seen the out line of the pad on the rotor? this is bad. Try not to drive through puddles if there real hot, this can lead to cracking the rotors (altho uncomon with a good qaulity rotor...there more likely to crack on the track under hard use).

Crappy pads will also cause more transfer of material.

Its probably a good idea to have the rotors turned between pad changes, just to make sure there is no glazing on them, however there are tolerances and your not supposed to machine the rotor down to thin.

With that said you could probabaly get 60k miles and maybe even longer out of a set of rotors. Rears even longer.

All I know is that I drive super hard, the brakes were changed before I picked the car up that ws just under 30k miles ago, and there is still at least another 10k left in the pads....I can't wait till they finally wear out...cause there horrible...I think they are OEM parts, but it sucks
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 01-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
Elder

Oh yeah drilled rotors =waist...think about it...reduced surface area, and if they arent drilled right with the correct heat treating they can crack quite easily (some companies take normal rotors and just drill holes in them...not good) Even the ones that are heat treated correctly are still prone to cracking.

Slotted rotors are good, as they help to clean the pad material, and they also allow any gas build up or water vapor when wet to escape from between the pad and rotor (the pad can sometimes float on top of trapped gas and reduce breaking effectiveness) I will probabaly at least upgrade to viggen breaks on my car definetly with slotted rotors.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 01-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I hear ya Josh, and this has been said over and over. But I still have to say that with the non-track driving that I do, I think I will be okay with drilled and slotted rotors. I made sure to see what the warranty was like from the company I was buying them from and I am confident I'll be fine. They just look so much better!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #15
Trollerator
Elder

yeah I know slotted are better but those drilled discs look so sweet and I never drive on the track. sooo...possibly drilled zimmies someday, who knows.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
My vote is Hawk since I also had Greenstuffs on the same car. The Greens wore quicker then any other pad and didnt impress in any regard aside from the high price. The Hawk is as good if not better in every regard, lasts longer and cost half as much.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #17
Elder

yea I came across a little harsh on the drilled rotors....for you guys who want the look, they are pretty cool looking, and if your not bringing them to the track its probably fine too.

They also make cool noises when you stop There are also dimpled rotors...not to sure about those..I'll have to do some more research. Damn you think with all this knowlege I could figure out something to do with my life
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 01-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #18
Trollerator
Elder

sp performance has some nice drilled and slotted of several differen types, but they use chamfered holes rather than drilled straight,

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
Editor
Elder

Quote:

I always take my rotors to my father's part supplier where they can be turned on site. The machinist in the shop turns them - usually costs me 10 bucks a piece. However, they can be checked to see if they're good - a lot of the time, they'll try to sell you new ones, but they look up a value in a book, checked with some weird kind of harmonic device and they'll tell you if they can be turned or not. As far as life, it really depends on how you brake and what kind of Pads you have.

Also, for the record, I dropped like 90 bucks on some pads... they're called... shit I don't even remember now! I ordered ceramics from thesaabsite and they didn't have any of the listed ones in stock, so I got these, which are not on the site... they were super expensive, but they're all ceramic, completely silent (never any noise) and I have never had ANY dust on my rims, EVER since I got them. The old pads were a fucking mess. It's worth it to get these, or I'm sure if people swear by the greenstuffs, get those. They're both in the same neck of the woods as far as price.

I'm sure if someone does a search they'll find the name, I think I posted about how much I liked them before.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #20
Editor
Elder

Just remembered: Akebono!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in