Engine temperature - seems low (???) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Editor
Elder

Engine temperature - seems low (???)

Few funny symptoms lately... car is running ok, I just replaced a bunch of vacuum lines that were bloated from oil, now I'm just waiting for a valve cover gasket and going to do a head re-torque... hopefully this solves the problem of POSSIBLY a little too much oil in the vacuum lines.

Anyway, I still see quite a bit of exhaust when I start up the car, but after maybe a minute or so of driving it disappears... I'm thinking there's some water vapor in the exhaust because it does not smell like coolant or oil and it doesn't have a particular color; it's just white exhaust...

Also, in the dash, my temp gauge is showing relatively low readings... unless I REALLY get on the throttle or unless it idles for a few minutes before I go anywhere, the temperature seems to be low? It's always at 1/4th or less on the gauge.

Also, I am still occasionally getting an engine coolant temperature sensor circuit malfunction code... checked the WIS... the thing is, even though this brings up the check engine light, it usually goes off within hours to the next couple of days... My dad seems to think it's a bogus code. Anyone have any ideas? He said if the sensor was bad or the circuit was being weird, the engine would behave quite erratically...

Besides that, car's running great. It's been cold outside, so rough cold starting, as I am sure others in the northeast / midwest can relate to. If I was still living at home I would have a HEATED garage to store the car in at night, but right now it's outside. Ah well. For the most part, she's been a dream - 24 miles per gallon (got 28.8 ALWAYS with my N/A, but I am not complaining). I currently do NOT have the MBC in because somehow the little threaded adjuster is missing, so I am waiting to hear back from turboxs about getting a new one.

Anyone have any input on all of this?

Last edited by Les Bouquins; 12-27-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
The temp gauge reading low could be a result of the bad sensor or a stuck open thermostat. When the car is moving you're getting all that nice cool air over the radiator, keeping the coolant cold. When the car is stopped you obviously should see the temp rise due to the lack of cold air. Thats what I'd put my money on...had it happen to me last year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Editor
Elder

So what was the fix?

Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Check the coolant temp sensor and when the car is warmed up put your hand on the upper radiator hose and see how soft it is and if you feel warmth in it justto make sure water is flowing properly. If you have never changed your tstat then it cant hurt to replace it now with a better temped one.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unkept
So what was the fix?
The fix was buy a new thermostat..$15.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Check the coolant tmep sensor as steve said, But It could most likely be a Stuck Open T-stat, so the coolant is alwas flowing through the block, even when its freezing cold. Since its alwayse circulating, the block doesnt ever really get up to its normal operating temp...or it takes a really long time.

The T-stat is about 13 bucks from eeuroparts, and you can get your self the 82 degree one from the 9k aero. (I just put that T-stat in the begining of this month, also my throttle body coolant hoses are bypassed, and I have never once had the throttle body feel like it was going to stick open, and thats with temps down in the single digits some days)

As far as the white smoke on startup...Have you looked at other cars driving around...most all cars in very cold weather, will have white "smoke" on start up, its just some water vapor from any moisture that condenced in the Exhuast system.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 12-29-2005, 06:43 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
a stuck open T-stat for a long period of time is a very bad thing. It will allow your oil to get gunked up because it will never warm up enough to burn off the condensation. Additionally the oil control rings in the pistons will get VERY gunked up over time. this will cause the car to burn oil. the only real way to fix this is to take the engine apart, clean all the crap out of the oil control rings and put it back together. don't worry though... you'd have to drive around for about 30,000 miles with a stuck open T-stat before this became a real problem.

swaping a thermostat is a real easy job. they make various temp thermostats, I would suggest a 180 degree (if you can find it). Stock is I think 195?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
Elder

yea stock is the 195, which saab calls the 89degree celsius one, the one to upgrade to is the one from the 9k aero which is the 180 or 82 degrees celsius.

let me see if I can find the part number for ya

EDIT:
T-stat for 9k aero....
http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdet...ts=1&code=5892

part number is 8817538G

20 bucks..and your problem should be fixed
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP

Last edited by WyldSaabMan; 12-29-2005 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
where exactly is the T-stat located, i know in between the block and the radiator?

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Follow the radiator hoses on your car to the motor and you will find what you seek. It will be on the top(ish of the block) in the center.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #11
Elder

if you look under your delivery pipe, where the upper radiator hose leads. In the back of the head is the T-stat housing. One you take the upper radiator hose off, the housing comes off by unbolting 2 10mm bolts IIRC into the head and then there is also 2 moe 10mm bolts attaching a bracket to the T-stat housing.

It is a pretty simple job to do
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in