Taking you car to the track - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
Taking you car to the track

Would any of you reccomend not going to the track and doing a bunch of lanches...i know that launches are bad to begin with but i heard that since we have FWD that its worse on the transmission. im sure kaylan knows a lot about racing and maybe she would know? im planning on taking my 9-3 to the track after all my mods, but if my transmission of clutch is going to die as result i might reconsider....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Oh no.... Just don't over do it and it should be fine. Your car isn't as heavy as the 9-5 so it should handle it a bit better.

Btw, I don't think Kaylan actually takes it to the track.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Elder

learn how to di it right...any car can take it if you do it right...just be smart about it and dont rev to redline and dump the clutch.

ive never been to the track but ive learned how to launch my car quite successfully...practice helps too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 12-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
yea ur right, im pretty sure she street races tho which is close enough i guess, im just trying to get a feel for how badly ill be hurting my car launching it a lot
Old 12-11-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
My GT is FWD and I had about 120 1/4 runs on it and 150k miles before the auto tranny took a poop on me. So a few runs wont do much of anything. It also won me the largest bracket racing event in the Northeast and magazine coverage in GM high Tech hehe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
GT??

g96nt takes his 9-3 to the dragstrip all the time. He'll help ya with info for sure.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer
GT??

g96nt takes his 9-3 to the dragstrip all the time. He'll help ya with info for sure.

GT as in my Retta, my first car which I sold to get the Viggen.

http://www.berettaspeed.com/members/view.php?id=32

Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Elder

It might be important to note that your Berretta was probably down in torque of our cars to the wheels. This has a direct effect on the longevity of critical driveline components.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
we really can't launch our cars at a high RPM anyway because all we will get is crazy wheel spin through 1st

What I find works fairly well, is when your ready to launch give it about 1/2 throttle while you fairly aggressively let of the clutch, once the car is rolling, you can then give it full throttle. I find this works fairly well, while keeping wheel spin to a minimum. Its hard to explain, and easier to show someone, but hopefully you get my gist
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 12-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
It might be important to note that your Berretta was probably down in torque of our cars to the wheels. This has a direct effect on the longevity of critical driveline components.

The Retta is at around 185-190lbs of tq to the wheels. It isnt quite Viggen level tq but my car tips the scales at 2590lbs, a few hundred less then my Vig. I have no traction in 1st, spin em at 30+mph in 2nd and breaks loose for the 2-3 shift. That was NA.

I sold my bolt on turbo setup which would have yielded 12lbs intercooled and add a solid 100whp and tq to those numbers.

Last edited by Jameson; 12-11-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson
The Retta is at around 185-190lbs of tq to the wheels. It isnt quite Viggen level tq but my car tips the scales at 2590lbs, a few hundred less then my Vig. I have no traction in 1st, spin em at 30+mph in 2nd and breaks loose for the 2-3 shift. That was NA.

I sold my bolt on turbo setup which would have yielded 12lbs intercooled and add a solid 100whp and tq to those numbers.
but, alas, it would still be a beretta...

Paul

Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH
but, alas, it would still be a beretta...

Paul
Haha, yes thats why I let it go. But underestimating it leads to hurt egos. For one it outhandles most cars around here and corners much flatter then the Vig, hence why suspension mods are on the way. It destroyed my freinds C4 Vette on our local course. It pulled anout .84g stock, its setup for deep into the .9x's now.

Also as it sits NA it is good for about a 15.3 which is quick enough to embaress most of the poser cars around here including a 3000GT SL, a few 4.6 auto mustangs etc. With boost I was shooting for high 13's depending on traction. And again, it looks good enough that its been in GMHTP magazine. I had a lot of fun with it, a great first car.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson
Haha, yes thats why I let it go. But underestimating it leads to hurt egos. For one it outhandles most cars around here and corners much flatter then the Vig, hence why suspension mods are on the way. It destroyed my freinds C4 Vette on our local course. It pulled anout .84g stock, its setup for deep into the .9x's now.

Also as it sits NA it is good for about a 15.3 which is quick enough to embaress most of the poser cars around here including a 3000GT SL, a few 4.6 auto mustangs etc. With boost I was shooting for high 13's depending on traction. And again, it looks good enough that its been in GMHTP magazine. I had a lot of fun with it, a great first car.
yeah no doubt its a "quick" car, ive ridden in and drove deloreans v6/5spd sunbird, and its got torque, but it just runs outta breath on the highway, and even my car with a terrible launch will blast straight past it around 65-70mph and it never catches up.

just cant loose sight of that

Paul

Old 12-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
Elder

GMHTP magazine? Can you spell out that abbreviation for us foregin car peeps?

My parents had a baretta back in the day. They got it barely used and had it quite a while. This is the only car I ever remember having problems in. And this is true because my dad until recently has always bought with 10k or so and sold around 60k. But the retta had an exhaust mount let go, or something, leaving us on the side of the road. Then the battery was always going, something would drain it to the point that it harmed the battery. Then those door handles. I think we broke a few getting into the car in the winter when the door were a bit frozen up. All of this is a bit foggy, I was probbaly less than 5 when we had the car. I think it was a GT too, not sure. My dad got it right after his mustang 5.0 LX and before his celebrity eurosport. As you can see, he went downhill, and he has ever since. haha
Old 12-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

My friend's chevy corsica beat a chevy astro once.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
well as nice as the 3.1 is for low end power and off the line stomp (I don't get traction in 1st with my 3.1, and 2nd will chirp and will light up in turns or if I intentionally make it do this by a hard clutch drop from 4000+ RPM's). however, as good as the 3.1 is with low end power, once you build some revs with it, you notice how the power quickly drops off after 4000 RPM's and by 6000 there is nothing... and I mean NOTHING. no reason to even rev a stock 3.1 past 4800 RPM's. 0-60 I can still manage in around 7 seconds, which is fast enough to smoke most saabs from an off the line start, maybe even a viggen if they were not expecting it... however, once I am at 60 MPH it takes longer and longer to break the next 10 MPH barrier. from 60-70 probably 4 seconds, 70-80 probably another 6 seconds, 80-90 probably around 7. I mean the car will do 120+, but it sure takes it's time to get there. 60-90 a good running saab turbo will break 90 before I hit 75 with the 3.1... That's proper torque! My C-900 has over 260 wheel lb/ft of torque before 3000 RPM's. it makes my pontiac feel pretty silly briving them back to back on the highway in 5th. for a launch, I would still go with the pontiac for what car would get to 60 first assuming you are shifting them normally 1-2-3. if I did a 2nd gear start in the C-900... well that thing just rips all around doing that!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH
yeah no doubt its a "quick" car, ive ridden in and drove deloreans v6/5spd sunbird, and its got torque, but it just runs outta breath on the highway, and even my car with a terrible launch will blast straight past it around 65-70mph and it never catches up.

just cant loose sight of that

Paul

Top end is definately the weakness of the 3.1. But I added an aluminum flywheel and aluminum underdrive pulley. Along with a custom ECU tune it made a rather large difference in how the car breathes on the highway. I have raced other 3.1s since these mods and its night and day. Compared to the Vig and my 9k though its a dog on the highway. But from a stop or 2nd gear its VERY strong.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
GMHTP magazine? Can you spell out that abbreviation for us foregin car peeps?

My parents had a baretta back in the day. They got it barely used and had it quite a while. This is the only car I ever remember having problems in. And this is true because my dad until recently has always bought with 10k or so and sold around 60k. But the retta had an exhaust mount let go, or something, leaving us on the side of the road. Then the battery was always going, something would drain it to the point that it harmed the battery. Then those door handles. I think we broke a few getting into the car in the winter when the door were a bit frozen up. All of this is a bit foggy, I was probbaly less than 5 when we had the car. I think it was a GT too, not sure. My dad got it right after his mustang 5.0 LX and before his celebrity eurosport. As you can see, he went downhill, and he has ever since. haha

GMHTP stands for GM high tech peformance.

I had a very different history with my GT. I bought it with 42k miles in 96 and it went to 100k+ only needing a battery, tires and brakes. You cannot ask much more from an older second hand car.

My 9k on the other hand ate its transmission way before my GT, and had a lots of expensive things let go.

My dad's Taurus was even worse, it ate two transmissions before we gave up on it.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean
well as nice as the 3.1 is for low end power and off the line stomp (I don't get traction in 1st with my 3.1, and 2nd will chirp and will light up in turns or if I intentionally make it do this by a hard clutch drop from 4000+ RPM's). however, as good as the 3.1 is with low end power, once you build some revs with it, you notice how the power quickly drops off after 4000 RPM's and by 6000 there is nothing... and I mean NOTHING. no reason to even rev a stock 3.1 past 4800 RPM's. 0-60 I can still manage in around 7 seconds, which is fast enough to smoke most saabs from an off the line start, maybe even a viggen if they were not expecting it... however, once I am at 60 MPH it takes longer and longer to break the next 10 MPH barrier. from 60-70 probably 4 seconds, 70-80 probably another 6 seconds, 80-90 probably around 7. I mean the car will do 120+, but it sure takes it's time to get there. 60-90 a good running saab turbo will break 90 before I hit 75 with the 3.1... That's proper torque! My C-900 has over 260 wheel lb/ft of torque before 3000 RPM's. it makes my pontiac feel pretty silly briving them back to back on the highway in 5th. for a launch, I would still go with the pontiac for what car would get to 60 first assuming you are shifting them normally 1-2-3. if I did a 2nd gear start in the C-900... well that thing just rips all around doing that!

Like I said, 3.1s on the highway are rather sad. When I street raced as a kid in Detroit I was undefeated to about 40mph, then many of the DOHC cars would walk me.

But again, certain mods really wake up the car past 4500rpms. The flywheel really changed things. The car accelerates in 5th without needing to downshift as much. The FFP pulley made 10whp at 5krpm, thats a huge gain. Along with some port work on the heads and some valvetrain and a cam the 3.1 would be decent.

But then I downshift to 3rd in the Viggen and all of that seems like a big waste of time. :P

Last edited by Jameson; 12-11-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in