im considering... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
TSLMember

im considering...

getting a 2000 viggen vert. I called my Saab dealer today to have them look at whats been done on the car as far as repairs because it isn't being sold at a saab dealership. They told me that at 43,000 miles the turbo charger went. It was replaced at a saab delareship for free due to the fact that it still was under warentee. What do you guys think. Is this something to be concerned about. I also got the carfax review online. From there I found that the vehicle had 3 owners. 1 in Maine and 2 in Mass. The first owner had the vehicle for 4 years. The first owner was also responsible for all maintence and repairs which were all done at the delareship. The last two owners did not have the car for long. The viggen is at a dealership in Manchester CT. A dealership called DECOMIER. The cars going for 19,000 and it has 54,000miles, and no accidents. OK guys give me your two cents. Im seeing the car on Saturday unless i get that gut feeling that thisisn't a good move for me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by missvtecsi
I also got the carfax review online. From there I found that the vehicle had 3 owners. 1 in Maine and 2 in Mass. The first owner had the vehicle for 4 years. The first owner was also responsible for all maintence and repairs which were all done at the delareship. The last two owners did not have the car for long. .

I would be less worried about a brand new turbo than the fact there was two owners in only like a few months or something. Either it is a lemon or maybe one owner was a dealer buying it back and then auctioning to another dealer??? it would be good to try and find out why it changed hands so many times so quickly, take a close look at any service records that are available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to BORKAT Send a message via Yahoo to BORKAT
Some people buy cars just to sell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
Elder

Well... The dealership should have extended warrenty.. If it does, I wouldn't be that worried

Old 12-08-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I found this one today since I was unsure whether my Vig was going to stay mine. There is a 2000 Lightning Blue Vig convertible in PA about 70 miles from me in NJ. IT has 40k miles and they want 17.900. Its on autotrader.com. Blue convertibles have got to be pretty rare.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson
I found this one today since I was unsure whether my Vig was going to stay mine. There is a 2000 Lightning Blue Vig convertible in PA about 70 miles from me in NJ. IT has 40k miles and they want 17.900. Its on autotrader.com. Blue convertibles have got to be pretty rare.
Um, definitely call first on this one. I tried buying it in October and they told me it had already sold. It's a great price for the model and the miles but I'd run this one through CarFax before jumping on it.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca
Um, definitely call first on this one. I tried buying it in October and they told me it had already sold. It's a great price for the model and the miles but I'd run this one through CarFax before jumping on it.

I learned the hardway that carfaxes and the like arent all they are cracked up to be. My Vig has been in an accident that didnt show up on the Vin. Buy back garuntees are only if you come to find it has a branded title when they say it wouldnt.

Luckily I got such a good price on my Vig that the money it takes to make it perfect isnt too high.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
what was wrong with the vig from the accident you didnt know about?

Old 12-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr
what was wrong with the vig from the accident you didnt know about?

The owner I bought it from didnt know the history and didnt know enough about cars to know something was up. I bought it with a vibration knowing it would need a CV/axle. But it turned out the subframe was bent and someone tried to ghetto rig it with a longer nut and some spacers. So I am replacing the subframe, both control arms, both sway bar brackets, the drivers side axle and drivers wheel bearing.

He bought the car for 16.700 from a small car lot. So he paid top dollar not knowing any of this.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes weird repairs are contained. Somehow, I had a whole in part of my intake. A small pebble got into the turbo, taking out a couple fins. So a new turbo was put in as well as a whole new intake and intercooler. The pebble was found in the intercooler. Don't worry too much. No used car is 100% safe. You just have to eliminte the variables.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
JK
Elder

Shit, no NEW car is 100% safe! Plently of new cars go back to dealers for servicing manufacturing errors and stuff, as far as multiple owners in short periods of time that could be due to any number of things...could be an unreported wrecked car that was fixed by one owner and then sold off right away, could have been an impulse buy that the spouse wasn't happy about so it went up for sale again, could have been that the owner didn't find it practical (seems likely...rough riding Viggen os bad Mass. roads, with a somewhat small trunk and very small back seat)...who knows. As long as the car checks out mechanically and dosen't have any glaring signs of major body work it's probably A-OK!
Old 12-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
True, but new cars have warranty protection. This changes everything.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #13
JK
Elder

Yeah I know, I'm just giving an example that no car is 100% free from the risk of breaking down on the side of the road or having some sort of structural failure. Example: From the factory my mom's Ford Ranger was missing about a 2 inch weld that joined the roof to the A-pillar.

Edit: I'm not comparing apples to apples here...hahah FORD!!! Yay!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:04 AM   #14
Elder

'Tis totally true that Carfax does not protect one from everything. A coworker of mine found out when she went to get her snowtires on this fall that the VW Golf she had bought this summer as a CPO VW previously owned by VWOA had, at the very least, its hood replaced.

Best bet? Find an independent Saab garage nearby and take the car there for a checkup before you buy. It'll be the best money you spend.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #15
Elder

Yeah looking back that is what I should have done. The complication was flying and buying out of state. But if I had done that I likely would not have bought the car. IN the end, this car is one of 400. MY efforts will make it 100% right and with it having 19k miles, I am keeping it on the road and properly sorted. So its worth the money. 99% of the cars out there and I would have cut my losses and gotten rid of it. But not my Vig :P

Old 12-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson
Yeah looking back that is what I should have done. The complication was flying and buying out of state. But if I had done that I likely would not have bought the car. IN the end, this car is one of 400. MY efforts will make it 100% right and with it having 19k miles, I am keeping it on the road and properly sorted. So its worth the money. 99% of the cars out there and I would have cut my losses and gotten rid of it. But not my Vig :P
Which is the exact reason I didn't end up with a Vig, much to the disappointment of my boyfriend who has threatened to turn my 2001 9-3 HOT mechanically into a Viggen. (BTW, Daniel, go for it.)

Anyhow, my point is that I would have been financially stretched just with the purchase of a Viggen. To have hidden frame damage or major mechanical problems would have sunk my bank account in a heartbeat.

I think that upkeep is an issue that a lot of people don't consider in car purchases. I know I didn't when I bought a brand-new 2000 VW New Beetle Turbo and thank god my parents sprung for the additional warranty otherwise that car would have cost me nearly everything I owned.

I always think of it like this....you wouldn't buy a dog if you knew you couldn't afford the food to feed it, right?

P.S. Congrats on the Vig purchase. Maybe in a few years I'll join that club!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #17
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca
I always think of it like this....you wouldn't buy a dog if you knew you couldn't afford the food to feed it, right?
you'd think so, anyways. but people do dumb things. inlcluding get dogs and children they cannot properly take care of.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 12-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
you'd think so, anyways. but people do dumb things. inlcluding get dogs and children they cannot properly take care of.
No joke. And, about once a week, I get to go to court, watch the drama and then write about it for a newspaper. I'm sooooo lucky......
Old 12-10-2005, 06:47 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Lightbulb

Wheres MG_TD? His is the same year, and I think we found the 00 cars had an ECU recall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in