Looking at buying a 900 that needs work, will it be worth it? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Looking at buying a 900 that needs work, will it be worth it?

Well I decided for my next project until I get a garage that allows me the proper space to drop a motor into my 9000, I'd like to try a different model from Saab. I'm looking at a '94 900 black 4dr S non turbo. Its pretty basic, cloth interior, hubcaps, auto. Nothing fancy besides sunroof and heated seats. I've already checked the car out in person. Its not in terrible shape but has been sitting in a barn for a couple of years and doesn't run due to a bad neutral safety switch is what the owner says. Has a little spot of rust on the rear quarter and needs a new drivers side fender but body was its pretty decent I checkd the struts and they looked good trunk area was pretty rust free. My main concern is:
The valve cover has a ton of leakage from it. The car has been sitting for sometime. If the valve covers bad, are the internal seals prolly about the same? I check the oil and its black but I cant see or smell and coolant in it.

The interior is junk. The carpet may be saved after a heavy shampooing but the seats, headliner doorcards all gotta go. They smell terrible and the seats have burn marks everywhere.

Will power leather seats from the same year 900 work in it without having to do a lot of wiring? Possible plug and play? I looked around and was only finding info on swapping in 95 seats so if this was already answer and someone knows the thread just post it.

Thanks,
Tim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanatic17 View Post
Well I decided for my next project until I get a garage that allows me the proper space to drop a motor into my 9000, I'd like to try a different model from Saab. I'm looking at a '94 900 black 4dr S non turbo. Its pretty basic, cloth interior, hubcaps, auto. Nothing fancy besides sunroof and heated seats. I've already checked the car out in person. Its not in terrible shape but has been sitting in a barn for a couple of years and doesn't run due to a bad neutral safety switch is what the owner says. Has a little spot of rust on the rear quarter and needs a new drivers side fender but body was its pretty decent I checkd the struts and they looked good trunk area was pretty rust free. My main concern is:
The valve cover has a ton of leakage from it. The car has been sitting for sometime. If the valve covers bad, are the internal seals prolly about the same? I check the oil and its black but I cant see or smell and coolant in it.

The interior is junk. The carpet may be saved after a heavy shampooing but the seats, headliner doorcards all gotta go. They smell terrible and the seats have burn marks everywhere.

Will power leather seats from the same year 900 work in it without having to do a lot of wiring? Possible plug and play? I looked around and was only finding info on swapping in 95 seats so if this was already answer and someone knows the thread just post it.

Thanks,
Tim
Personally, would not bother with a 94' non turbo AUTO. If it were stick, prepare to have some fun. I loved my non turbo 900, more so than my turbo in the end. Still got it sitting out back awaiting me to bring her back to life.

An auto would just ruin it IMO, its not at all fast, and the auto is not going to make it feel sporty either.

Anyway, as for seats, you can swap in the same year leather power seats. You will have to run power for the motors, but the heated seats will work (assuming your 94' has them stock). I went a similar route, and in the end swapped leather skinned 93 seats onto a 900 seat frame. A lot of work, and in the end I liked the cloth seats more.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

Looking at buying a 900 that needs work, will it be worth it?

Please tell me this is a $300-$400 car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue

Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

Glad to here the seat swap shouldn't be hard. I'm hoping to try and get it for 250-300.

I actually want a auto and don't care to much that it will be slow. I actually prefer that it cannot go fast. I'm buying it as a fun project for me to fix up so then after its all clean and runs good I'm going to give it to my cousin when she turns 16. We are like siblings and since I know my aunt and uncle aren't going to be able to buy her a nice safe car I figure I could get one cheap and fix it up. I know if its not this one it's gonna be a Saab 900/93 or a Audi. I want to get something safe.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nothing wrong with gambling on a $250 car. I did it, except it was a 1996 900 SE...

This is the type of car you fix up, then use as a trade in on another car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

I called him this morning and told him what the KBB value was if it was running, about 900 dollars, told him that the interior was ruined with early stages of mold spots. That the valve cover was leaking badly, it hasn't run in quite sometime, and needs body work. Also that he lied and told me the body was nice and that it was indeed a turbo with leather over the phone prior to me driving 45 minutes to look at it. I offered him 250, he got mad so I asked him how much he wanted and he said 600 firm...

I hung up on him. He is crazy to think its worth 600! I would be spending 300 on newer interior just so i won't get sick, and I've been detailing cars for 5 years and when I say the interior isn't going to clean its bad.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

well then it can sit in the barn until it goes to a scrapyard

i can understand sometimes people can be ignorant about how little their car is worth, but he sounds like a real asshole too
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
That's crazy. I paid $450 for my 900 SE Turbo Convertible (that needed a transmission). And it was CLEAN!
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #9

Batshit crazy. That thing should be crushed immediately.

For $250, if it has a cat, he can get that much from some scrapyards - or more.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #10

I told him when he called me back because he thought I might have lost service that he is barely going to get 200 from the scrap yard for it because they would have to come pick it up and the closest one is like 45 minutes to a hour away. So he turned around and said he was going to take it to his mechanic and get it all fixed so he could sell it for 2800. I told him good luck and I hope he enjoys his lawn ornament cause its gonna cost him a couple grand just to get it running if a garage is doing the work. Let alone the fender is messed up and the interior is toasted beyond fixing. He was rather weird too, always mumbling and when I was looking at the car in person I was glad I brought my good buddy with me, when you go to look at a car its always a good idea to bring you 6 ft 5 300 pound gym rat broseph along. Rape free car inspection gaurantee

Last edited by hondafanatic17; 03-11-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Auto Correct Fail....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in