9-3...."SE"... maybe not? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via MSN to Passion4_900
9-3...."SE"... maybe not?

Well, this topic came to mind when I was reading about the newest member of TSL up in the "new member" section....

I'm just trying to determine what exacly is the trim of my 9-3 and what factory HP rating category I fall into.......

It's a 2002 9-3 and as far as I knew it's an SE HOT model. Why would I think that you say? Well, it's got the "SE" badge on the side, near the side blinker on the fender....... I also remember reading that on the last model year of the OG 9-3, the only engine offered would be the HOT 205 HP engine regardless of trim model because it is the aniversary year of the Turbochagring?..... anyways, why would anyone say it isn't an "SE" ...... well, doesn't have the side skirts, doesnt have leather seats, doesnt have digitaly controled HVAC functions, doesnt have the bumper spoilers.....

Last I was at a Saab dealer (not the one I bought it from) said it wasnt an "SE" because it was lacking the above options and said that only the SE and aniversary trim came with the 205 HP engine..... I argued with him that it did have the 205 HP engine because saab used that engine only in the last year of hatchbach 9-3's......

What do you guys think????

I'm inclined towards thinking that the previous owner may have slapped the SE badge on the side, but I'm not inclined to thinking I have the 185 HP engine because it's Trionic 7 with a black DI and I clearly remember reading that saab would only offer the High Output engine in the last year of this model.

Other than that, for an automatic, it feels like it most certainly does have 205 hp......

oh, and ownership slips do not say "SE" on them...... just "2002 SAAB 9-3" in LAZER RED..... that's all..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
what's your VIN? I can look it up right now and tell you for sure
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2005, 05:36 PM   #3

I dont have it with me right now (i'm at work) but I'll give it to ya tomorow...

thanks

Old 11-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
SAABeginner

I have the same question on my Saab. I have an '01 9-3 with every option except power seats, it has heated leather and all the toys. But I'm not sure if it's an SE model or not, I don't think so because it has the 15' alloys and not the 16's. Is there a Saab website where we can enter the VIN and find details about our car? Thanks!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
TSLMember

Are you sure it's a 2002?

All 2002s are trimmed SE, with B205R engine (205HP), front lip and side skirts, 16" anniversary wheels (5 spoke pinwheel design), "turbo" embossed in either leather/cloth or full leather seats, woodgrain dash, sunroof.

There was a premium package that added the full leather, sport steering wheel (with thumb bubbles), supposedly tuned suspension, etc. I'm not sure on how the options worked for the auto climate control and heated seats, if those were part of the premium package or not, but they are certainly not standard.

The VIN could be one way to find out for sure, but I think I remember having some problems decoding my VIN with some of the decoders out there.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Dan
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Dan
could canada's 02s be different? I know all US 02s have leather seating with "Turbo" embroidered into them.

Dan
Old 11-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #7
JK
Elder

Strange, I always thought all T7 9-3s were HO cars...maybe not? Maybe check to see what the intercooler plumbing looks like, full cross flow would probably equal HO, whereas the other type is in the lower output cars. I could be totally wrong though.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to pfblack
I have an '01 9-3 185HP with the crossflow intercooler so this is not a good indication of HOT versus LPT. I woud say if worse comes to worst, check out the turbo and look for the ID plate and see if it's a TD-04 and not a GT-17.

Paul
Old 11-11-2005, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoober
Are you sure it's a 2002?

All 2002s are trimmed SE, with B205R engine (205HP), front lip and side skirts, 16" anniversary wheels (5 spoke pinwheel design), "turbo" embossed in either leather/cloth or full leather seats, woodgrain dash, sunroof.

There was a premium package that added the full leather, sport steering wheel (with thumb bubbles), supposedly tuned suspension, etc. I'm not sure on how the options worked for the auto climate control and heated seats, if those were part of the premium package or not, but they are certainly not standard.

The VIN could be one way to find out for sure, but I think I remember having some problems decoding my VIN with some of the decoders out there.

yep, one thing for shure is that its a 2002..... it has an SE badge on it but all other is base options...... (cloth seats, but they are heated...) She feels powerfull, instead of sideskirts, she has the flat black moulding.....

I was shure that all '02 were B205R 's as well, and I am shure this one is no exception, however the lack of "SE" feature kinda make you go hhhmmmmmm.....
Old 11-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Passion, all of your thoughts are correct at least for U.S. spec cars. It must be different in canada. The best way I would think other than the VIN look-up would be to look at the turbo. Just take off the heatsheild and look for some writing on it when the engine is cold. Its one bolt to hold the heatsheild on, as you may or may not know.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #11
TSLMember

I didn't even think to look at your location. It must be the Canada/US market differences.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:16 AM   #12
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfblack
I have an '01 9-3 185HP with the crossflow intercooler so this is not a good indication of HOT versus LPT. I woud say if worse comes to worst, check out the turbo and look for the ID plate and see if it's a TD-04 and not a GT-17.

Paul
Well, that answers that... I believe the head useually has the engine designation on it, B205R, somewhere but I can remember, might be easier to check the block or turbo as the others suggested!
Old 11-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #13

Well, I went to a website that decodes VIN and after entering my VIN, it said 185 HP Turbo..... fucking piss me off........ does that mean it would be relatively easy for me to change it to or upgrade to 205hp.... or does that require turbo upgrade and an ecu upgrade....... does the B205R (205hp) have stronger internals than the one i have?

here's the VIN: YS3DD58H922036623

Looked under the turbo heat shield and couldn't realy tell....
Old 11-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #14
Elder

EPC lists it as a " 2002 SAAB 9-3 HATCHBACK 4 DR
Engine: 2.0L L4 TURBO 16V INT

you will note that is not the HOT or an SE. I am not sure what INT stands for, maybe it's the LPT model?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #15

INT - International? hehe

So, I guess the SE was slaped on by the previous owner........ confusing

Does anyone know about the engine part....... What are the differences part wise between the 185 HP variant and the 205 HP ?

I'm assuming due to other posts that the 205hp engine has a mitsubishi turbo versus a garrett...... what about engine internals?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #16
Elder

pretty sure ir's just the turbo and software that was changed, nothing else.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #17
Pat
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Pat
may have changed 02... really not sure. Actually im sure it did.

99 was a t25 turbo for LO turbs, HOT was a souped T25

I assume your model year would be a mitsubishi as opposed to the garrett... cross flow intercooler on an SE as opposed to single pass, and different software.

Turbo can be had for around 200-300 on ebay I assume, upgraded software... Im really not too sure. Something you probably want to contact taliaferro about.
'00 9-3 SE HOT - sold
'99 9-3 - Sold
Old 11-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #18

I'll have a look at the I/C to see if its dual pass or hi flo like the viggen....

I was planning an ECU upgrade in the future but not any time soon since I've got tons of other expenses.....

thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Not to be a moron here or anything, but what Web site did you use to decode your VIN?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #20

99 H.O.T. used a T25
00-02 SEs H.O.T. used a Mitsu TD04....

You'll need one of those, plus an ECU change....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in