Checking out a 2000 93 for a friend... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 04:09 AM   #1
Editor
Elder

Checking out a 2000 93 for a friend...

Well, I drove an hour and a half last night to look at a 93 for my friend. I am happy I went, because I honestly think he would've been in trouble without me. I knew the obvious things to look for - clutch, DI cassette, check body for bondo, look at underbody, suspension, all interior gadgets in working order, check for rust in the doors, etc etc etc. Anyway. Here's the story:

2000 Saab 93 w/ 73k miles on the odometer. Very very pretty car. Asking price 7,500. The interior was immaculate - like it had never even been sat in. There were zero stains and the leather looked BRAND new. The body was very sharp - no visible rust on any of the panel... however, lots of corrosion under the hood - lots of rusted hardware and must of the exhaust was starting to rot... but that's to be expected in Michigan.

We gave it a VERY thorough look down before we even took the car for a spin. Everything seemed to be in order, so far. Typical Michigan wear.

When we drove, it felt all right (my friend drove the first time) but it was DEFINITELY not boosting like I felt it should... we're talking a vacuum in the manifold most of the time, EVEN during high throttle and acceleration. A little bit of boost, but not much. It was still feeling smooth though - the overall ride of the car was fantastic... no noise anywhere... very sturdy and was taking the bumps on the road well.

Then I sat down in the drivers seat to feel the clutch and try to see what the deal was with the boost.

Start off in first and immediately notice that AFTER you pull out of the gear (even when not on the throttle) the engine revs up another 1,000 - 1,500 RPMs on the tach... so for example, pull out of 1st gear at 4,000 RPMs, it would pull up to 5,500, depending on how hard you were on it. Anyway, this was odd as I've owned two Saabs and never noticed anything like that. On to the next part.

THIS THING WAS NOT BOOSTING AND WAS MISFIRING. When I got on the throttle a little bit in second (down to the floor) it was DEFINITELY misfiring, there was NO boost (couldn't even touch yellow, EVER) and it was sputtering along, trying to pull. Not right for a Saab at all.

All other symptoms seemed to point to what I felt was a DI cassette, so the gentleman was going to take it to the stealer the following day to see what the deal was. I told him about the widespread DI failures and he was going to look into it... he's original owner of the car... but I was naming off technical terms and he had no idea as to what I was talking about. DEFINITELY NOT mechanically inclined in the least. He said he'd never heard of a DI cassette before, but was pretty sure he'd never had it replaced...

So long story short, my buddy may offer him 6,900 IF the problem of misfire and lack of boost are indeed diagnosed as being caused by a bad DI and fixed. Otherwise, I told him to stay away, and so did his other friend who came with us. Just sucks because it was about 180 miles round trip to go look at the thing :-/. Besides that, I would've DEFINITELY snatched it up if I was him. He's going to email us back, letting us know what the problem is.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Editor
Elder

No one posted, but I figured I'd let everyone know, bad DI cassette.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
That is a clone of my car down to the wheels. But my bpc is shot instead of the DI cassette.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Coupe Coupe Coupey Coupe.

Very smart man, your friend.

Did he make the deal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
check the CV boots too...
mine leaked out all the grease on my 9-3 like 5 months after i baught her
Old 11-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
Pat
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Pat
Good find on the coupay... I wish I coulda found one, but it didnt work out that way... but Im still stoked with my car.
'00 9-3 SE HOT - sold
'99 9-3 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in