Leaking Coolant - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Leaking Coolant

Hi Guys, this is my first post here as I just bough a 99 9-3. I didn't see this at all when I bough thte car 2 days ago but it's leaking coolant. The location of the leak from what I can see is the right side of the motor, the is a thing that sticks out from the block a little bit and it drips down on the downpipe so I have steam comming out from under my hood. Anyone else had this problem or know what the leak could be from?

Thanks Much
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Maybe a loose banjo bolt on a coolant line? Can you take a picture of where the leak is coming from?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Elder

Is it on the passenger side, back near the firewall? I have the same leak if so. It comes out of a drainpipe. You have to replace the heater core. That's what I was told...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Here are a couple of pis from where it is leaking.

Here are a couple of pics of the leak.[/url]

http://home.comcast.net/~polosport8/untitled.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~polosport8/untitled2.jpg

Thanks Again for all your input.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
headgasket?

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 10-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
Elder

yeah - headgasket - quick "fix" attempt is to pull your Valve Cover and re-torque and replace all the headbolts. The lower right bolts almost ALWAYS back out. If you catch it soon enough a headgasket won't be needed yet.
for your repair needs
Old 10-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via MSN to Passion4_900
Just to add my input, the arrow you point seems to point in the direction of a tie wrap that holds a red power cord and the wire to the O2 sensor. I had the same problem and would only come up once in a while when I came to a stop. I determined it to be the tie-wrap holding the 2 wires, was melting on the turbo heat shiel. I had found black burned plastic drips on the heat shield and just by touching the tie wrap, it crumbled to pieces. This is most likely the case..... just remove the tie wrap and replace with something else or even another tie wrap but up higher so it doesnt get hot enough to melt and burn!

not 100% shure this is the issue, but seems to be exacly what was happening to my 9-3....... hasn't smoked since!
Old 10-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

SO what do I need to reinstall the valve cover? Any how to's? By the way, I'm now getting a coolant low message

One more question, where is the waterpump located on the car? is it on the side with all the belts or on this side?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Do the Re-torqu I had the same problem on my 9-3, it was a Known problems on the 99s.

You need some Torx bits to get the valve cover off, T45 I think, but I am not sure. You also need to unbolt the oil fill tube, and the air line for the PCV to airbox.

Then if you carfuly remove the valve cover the gasket should be unharmed, set the cover aside, While your in there check the cleanlines of the valvetrain. Then you need a E torx socket dont remeber the size though.

this should help

not to hard and hopefuly will solve your problem...worked for me
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 10-30-2005, 05:04 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
yep, head gasket re-torque should correct this for now. don't be shocked if you need a headgasket in the near future though...
Old 10-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

I just retorqued the head bolt, went through all of them to ensure thei're snug and the one on the left was a little loose. I also put in a new valve cover gasket, which was a pain in the rear to get to line up. I'll have to go start the car now and see what I get. The car only has 40k miles, why would it need a head gasket so soon? Also how much does a head gasket replacement normally run if done by a dealer. I don't have the timing tools and tools to do it myself at the moment.
Thanks Much
Old 10-30-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Well that seems to have done the trick. I've warmed the car up for 10 min and driven the car around for 5 mikes or so and no leaking that I can see. How often do the head gaskets go out on these? And replacement costs?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 08:54 PM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
this wasnt a head gasket failure, it was just the headbolt coming loose, dont owrry about it, usually head gaskets blow if the heabolts arent properly torqued and you beat the living piss ou tof it for a while.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in