Aftermarket Head unit - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Aftermarket Head unit

I am fairly knowledgeable on stereo installs but a buddy of mine just got a 1999 saab 9-3 and we are a little unsure on how to go about doing the head unit. There is no stock amplifiers, but we will be installing aftermarket amps.

My biggest concern is I am unsure how the computer/sid works with an aftermarket head unit.
Complete Install Radio Stereo Dash Kit Wire Harness | eBay

Will this kit work? Will the computer and wheel controls still function? I have searched high and low but I havent came across much.

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Well, I'll throw this in there. The '99-'02 (Sedans and '03 on convertibles) doesn't have the same dash as the '03 (sedans) '04-'06 (Sedans and convertibles).

That being said I don't think it'll interfere with the SID (maybe someone with an aftermarket radio in one of those years can chime in). I'm pretty sure in all of the cars I've seen the SID wasn't affected.

On the steering wheel controls I'm not sure. From what it looks like on crutchfield you'll need an adaptor, but none of the ones they sell will work with it.

I'd look on crutchfield.com, they are pretty good with their stuff and their support is awesome. It looks like they have everything needed in stock (wiring harness, dash kit, etc).
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

I've put aftermarket decks in two NG900s with this kit:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=212

Its really easy to work with and looks great installed. You do have to be careful of the wiring as one wire goes from the deck to the SID which should not be installed with the aftermarket deck. The SID will blink if its connected. Since I have not done a 9-3 yet it may not happen but only hook up the wires you need to and it should work well.

I wish you had a NG900 as I could just sell you my connectors prewired and known to work.

Genuine Saab also should have the connectors needed to get the wheel controls to work.

Last edited by 1995BlueBeast; 01-03-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Not to thread jack, but does anyone know how the lighting works in the stock head unit? Not the SID, but the actual green lighting on the numbers/buttons...mine went out but if i put pressure on the face of the deck, it comes on. As soon as a release, it turns off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
SAABeginner

I came across that site but they only have it for the 900. So basically with an aftermarket headunit the SID becomes useless? I know in my previous car to get the wheel controls to work I just needed to get the right colored wire to the HU.

I cant believe there isnt an actually guide out there...
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Saab Audio Guide

PAC and Peripheral make the steering wheel button interpreter.

The only difference in that kit is the pocket. The NG one is a darker plastic.
The wiring is the same but you will need an antenna adapter.

There is some info out there about a specific generation VW aftermarket harness working as well. Doing some searching here and on SC.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by failsatheals View Post
I came across that site but they only have it for the 900. So basically with an aftermarket headunit the SID becomes useless? I know in my previous car to get the wheel controls to work I just needed to get the right colored wire to the HU.

I cant believe there isnt an actually guide out there...
The SID doesn't become useless; you just lose the lower line where the radio information is displayed. The rest of the SID functions work just like they always did.

There's actually an extremely good guide to NG900/9-3 audio upgrades, Richard Bevan's Saab Audio Guide. Back when I bought my car, about 10 years ago, everyone knew about it, but people seem to be forgetting about it more and more:

Saab Audio Guide
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

I heard about this guy who figured out how to make a connector that would hook up your iPod to your stock head unit and display the song information on the SID. Sounds like a pretty great idea to me because then I can keep the stock look but use my iPod. I bet everyone will buy them!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

I'm sorry, this thread did not deserve that post, but I couldn't resist.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker92 View Post
I'm sorry, this thread did not deserve that post, but I couldn't resist.
Gotta fit the humor in where you can. A few of us chuckled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in