The $250 Saab 900 SE 5 Speed - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #41
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
needs orange rims... scarabe with orange!!! OMFG
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #42
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
oh! sorry.. I should have mentioned before.
My triangle is on with my srs light.
Side airbag error in the 9-5 when we put it together; since then, I get SRS+triangle errryyy day.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #43
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

So, I believe we figured out the CEL. When plugged into T5suite, the o2 sensor reading rarely leaves 18.4. But every once in a while it will go down, and shoot right back to full lean.

So I ordered a Bosch 13662 direct fit sensor from RockAuto, and it should be here this week. Also in the mail: slightly better SID, drivers side corner light, smoked fender markers and possibly some other trinkets (thanks grkguy). I also got 8ft of RED silicone vacuum line for this bitch.

I need a BPV, anyone have one for sale?

It makes me so happy to see the Viggen squeaky clean next to my bikes in the winter:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #44
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
make sure you have absolutely no exhaust leaks as between the exhaust manifold and the first O2
that will also make it lean out like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #45
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
make sure you have absolutely no exhaust leaks as between the exhaust manifold and the first O2
that will also make it lean out like that.
The downpipe flex pipe was welded in on the bench, not on the car. But still, my welder friend and I looked up and down the exhaust blocking off the tailpipe and could not find any leak, its tight.

Also,

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.

Last edited by Saabeh; 01-14-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #46
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Replaced all of the vacuum lines last night with silicone, removed the hood insulation and roof racks. I also installed the black mesh grille that came on my viggen. O2 sensor is in the mail.

The gauges came back on this morning and I averaged 36mpg on my way to work (45mph, 1 stop, 9 miles).

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #47
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

O2 sensor came in, installing later.

Also, I know NG900's have a turbo silencer. Has anyone seen them get messed up and cause a sound like a boost leak?

I am going to remove it when I do the O2, hopefully that is the noise I am hearing. Under a visual inspection I see no leaks in the charge pipes.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #48
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

oh man no more ericssaabsite?! That is a bummer site was kick ass. he had a write up on it, i am sure you can find somewhere.

i have definitely heard a car like your's before i just cant put my finger on who's and what it was!

how does the compressor wheel look ?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #49
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I am going to get under it tonight. I removed the turbo silencer and replaced the BPV. Still whistles.

New o2 sensor going in tonight, and I will dig into it further.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #50

My t25 started making some "extra" turbo noises about two weeks before it imploded, when you had the intake off did you check for shaft play?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #51
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineffingp View Post
My t25 started making some "extra" turbo noises about two weeks before it imploded, when you had the intake off did you check for shaft play?
I never had the aluminum intake elbow off, I will probably pull.it off to check when i do the O2. this thing might get a td04 sooner than i thought.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
I never had the aluminum intake elbow off, I will probably pull.it off to check when i do the O2. this thing might get a td04 sooner than i thought.
not necessarily a bad thing!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #53
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

While replacing the o2 sensor, I found a broken exhaust manifold stud /facepalm.

I am assuming that is the noise at full boost. Fortunately, the CEL has stayed off. I am hoping to complete the removal of the broken stud this week.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #54
Elder

Astro Pnuematic 9447

This is the 25$ kit I use. It works great, but the drill bits are pretty much two-time-use. I replaced them with Wurth Drill bits and haven't had any issues with those time and again. Sometimes a left handed drill bit will pull a broken stud right out. I always start with one of those and I'd say 33% of the time the stud will walk right out.

Don't break a bit off in the stud!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #55
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
While replacing the o2 sensor, I found a broken exhaust manifold stud /facepalm.

I am assuming that is the noise at full boost. Fortunately, the CEL has stayed off. I am hoping to complete the removal of the broken stud this week.
Im sure you dont want to put this kind of work into it but I bought my 9k with a broken stud and used it as an excuse to do the 1st hg

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #56
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I will probably do the HG when the warm weather comes. The stud may come out though. I have drilled through the center of the stud, and I just need to get an ez-out that is big enough. If it doesnt work, I will just wait and give it to the machine shop when I have it off.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #57
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
When the 9-5 had a broken stud, I just used it as an excuse to do a hg, and fresh head.
I found a junkyard Aero/HOT t7 head for $99, and replaced the seals, had it baked/planed/guides adjusted and a 3 angle valve job at Dave's machine in Fitchburg, for $300 or so.

He also will bake/plane a head for $100 if you know you have a good head, and want to save some $$. I think ollie's had a couple heads for cheap.

I tried for a couple hours to get the old stud out, and the room wasn't there to do a clean job. luckily, we had the spare 9-3, and Dave was able to get the job done quickly.
good luck!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #58
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Yeah, the head should be fine. I plan on doing it before it actually goes bad.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #59
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Not CEL yet, put about 150 miles on it and it would have come back within 30miles.

Had a bit of a scare today with the ignition freezing up, but I hit it with the propane torch and it unfroze.

I also ordered some cheapish speakers to replace the blown ones.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #60
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

So the CEL is gone 100%. Mike D gave it a nice stage one tune and it really woke it up! The Viggen BPV I put in does not honk. I put in a used leather shift knob and smoked fender markers. I also got an SID that is supposed to have more working pixels, I will check it out later today. I also installed some decent speakers for the stock stereo to utilize. Sounds much better now, and its nice that the CD changer works.

Oh also, I attempted to get the broken stud out... I broke 3 sockets and finally snapped the EZ-out. Oh well. I will do the HG in the warm weather and have the machine shop pull the studs when they plain the head.

This thing has been an awesome winter warrior. I just need to fix the gauges!

Quote:

Last edited by Saabeh; 01-29-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in