Pirelli P3000 tires....... just bought 4 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via MSN to Passion4_900
Pirelli P3000 tires....... just bought 4

So, I woke up early today to get some new tires put on the 9-3 since the previous ones were worn beyond belief. Shopping arround, didn't want to spend tomuch but was looking for a decent all season tire. After time was running out and was on my way home, saw a huge tire store and stopped there to have a look. I had 30 minutes to get home so I can get ready for work. The guy there suggested the P3000's and quoted 490$ ballanced, installed and with tax included. He said he'd have them on in 20 minutes. Well, let me tell ya, I was impressed! they were on and I had my car back under 30 minutes and it came right up to 490$.

Question:

- did I get a decent deal?
- are the P3000's good tires, any experiences with them?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 02:40 PM   #2

Well, ratings online look prety good but I'd like to know from someone who's had them on their Saab.....

Any opinions apreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
well I HAD them on my 86 900 when I got it. they had 75% tread, but I don't know how old they were at that time. they sure didn't impress me! it could spin in 3rd gear when it was raining with out even trying. starting on hills? forget it... the car could not be driven in the snow period. dry traction was pretty marginal as well. I replaced them with a set of $34 per tire Kumho Touring tires I got on tire rack and there was a vast improvment in both dry and wet traction. Personally, I would never buy any Pirellis again from this experience with them.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Pat
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Pat
I had them with 75% tread remaining and both my front tires blew out on the interstate.

I remember reading something awhile back that from one point in time to a few months later the stuff that came from pirelli was garbage. The manufacturer was using bad rubber or something, I really forget all the details but it resulted in multiple failures and blowouts and all around shoddy quality. I believe they have 3 seperate places they outsource manufacturing to and one of those places produced real garbage....

Dont know how long ago this was and if the crap is still on the market, but its something I recall reading, and sure enough I had some pirelli issues.

When they worked though they were ok I guess. The P-zero Nero's and Michelin pilot sports school them, but they are more expensive. I give them an average rating... I wouldnt get them again, I know that for sure, even if they didnt blow out. You can find better, you can find worse. Just mediocre IMO.
'00 9-3 SE HOT - sold
'99 9-3 - Sold
Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
yeah, I feel I should note that the Pirellis I had are probably a 10+ year old design at this point and they were probably from that time period where Pirelli was just making crap. the more modern Pirellis that are being made today may be perfectly fine tires they will get good traction and long life.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:55 PM   #6

Well, I did a Google search for reviews and there was lik 85 reviews and the total average of reviews gave the tire a 4.5 star out of 5....... but I read one of the bad ones to see what it was about and it kinda sounded along the lines of what you guys are saying.... So I have a feeling that there may have been a bad batch with bad rubber in circulation and those were shitty, but all in all, seemed that most were satisfied...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in