Trick to loosening the timing chain? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Trick to loosening the timing chain?

Trying to pull the head, I've looked at one shitty diagram on how to loosen it and I can't make rhyme or reason out of it.

I have the timing all lined up already, just need to get the slack off the chain so I can get it off the cam gears.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
cant you just unbolt the timing gears?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
cant you just unbolt the timing gears?
Maybe? If so, awesome. Can I get it back together doing that in reverse?

I've never pulled a head, I just know what needs to come off in order to get it out.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Remove the 12mm bolt in the center of the tensioner. Then remove the idler pulley do you can fit a 27mm deep well socket over the rest of the tensioner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
yeah, I always just used a deep 27mm socket to get to the tensioner.

The tough thing is that the bolt that holds the idler pulley on goes through and prevents you from being able to slide the socket in. you have to remove, or at least loosen the bolt holding that pulley on. once you do, stick a socket in, and back out the tensioner.

alternatively, you can take off the cam gears, and let the chain fall (you won't loose it unless you removed the link) but eventually you'll need to get that tensioner out, and disassmble it to re-time the engine. It will be MUCH easier with the head on a bench, though.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Elder

I was able to get it off.

Seems like the chain is stuck on something though, crank doesn't want to spin.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Elder

Where is the chain? Just hanging out in the timing cover? Pull the chain up to where it would sit on thr cam gears so theres not oodles of slack

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
Where is the chain? Just hanging out in the timing cover? Pull the chain up to where it would sit on thr cam gears so theres not oodles of slack
I did, probably need another hand but it's not budging. Spent maybe 5 min on it before I needed to get cleaned up for work.

F'ing eeuro and their not shipping everything right the first time has totally botched my timing with working on the car.

Side note, I have some buildup in between the intake valves on the piston. Best way to clean them up? Cross hatching is still on the walls though which was nice to see. No apparent wear. I didn't drain the coolant completely so a little dribbled onto the pistons when removing the head, hince the spots.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Any time you pull the head, it should take a trip to the machine shop for a bake/plane (cleaning and decking)
My guy charges me $99, and it comes back looking brand new, and with no "crap" built up on it, and you know you have a nice clean/flat mating surface.

It sounds like you're waiting on eeuro, so you might as well send it off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in